22-250 Ackley Improved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:
    My goal is to get either 62 gr Sirocco’s or 60 gr Partitions around 3,800 fps to shoot close to the same spot as my 52 gr hollow point coyote load at close to 4,000 fps. With that I would be able to have a coyote bullet in the chamber and a deer/hog bullet below in the magazine. I shoot every coyote I can so they skittish around here. Lol
    So far haven’t hit 3,800 fps with my hog bullets and POI is about 1” from my coyote load. 👎
    Did manage to get 52 gr Sierra HPBT’s and Sierra 55 gr SPBT’s to hit very close to each other at around 3,900 fps so that will work for now.
    I load where I shoot so as I was working on my 52 gr coyote load I loaded one 40 gr H380, shot, checked case and chrony, loaded 41 gr, shot, 42 gr and shot. All 3 shots were touching. Unusual for 2 grs difference in powder charge.
    Took it to the blind with me yesterday evening and heart shot this 18.5” Hill Country 10 pt at right at 275 yds. Ran about 30 yards and gave up the ghost.
    So far so good.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pretty good results. 3900 fps, should make liquid out of whatever gets hit. That's a nice buck, more so for the hill country.

I used to turn 6" of spine and vertebrates to mush and small chunks. They hit the ground instantly, don't kick or any other forms of movement. My loads were pushing 55 gr. hollow points to 3850 fps.
      Up in that velocity range, bullets do wicked things to organs and flesh. People worry about exit wounds, don't need them when the heart has been blown to little pieces, and the lungs are liquified. Whatever the critter is, ain't going very far.

Comment

Nice rifle, what contour is your barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
          Nice rifle, what contour is your barrel?
          It’s a 10 twist Lilja a little heavier than Rem’s magnum or light varmint contour.
          Finished at 26.75”
          9 twist would have been better for the heavier bullets but I was skeered of what it would do to thin jacket bullets at that velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
            It’s a 10 twist Lilja a little heavier than Rem’s magnum or light varmint contour.
            Finished at 26.75”
            9 twist would have been better for the heavier bullets but I was skeered of what it would do to thin jacket bullets at that velocity.

I have a 7 twist 22-250AI. I freaking love that gun. I’ve pushed 50 grain Vmax to 3950 and to my knowledge they haven’t come apart.

I built it with intentions to shoot the 75 Scirrocco but it doesn’t like them. So I’m currently shooting 90 grain Gold Dots at 3400 and it stacks them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sweet rig. I built a 243AI this year but haven’t even finished fire forming my first 100 piece of brass. Thing shoots great. I wish I would have gotten a faster twist but o well.

I dreamt to build a 22-250AI in the future. Good luck!

Comment

I love the 22-250ai but got tired of fire forming. So I got the equivalent of the 22-250ai and it’s sweet shooter with 1-8 and 80.5gr fullbore’s one of the most accurate rifles I own on paper.

Comment

What is the equivalent?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                    Update:
                    My goal is to get either 62 gr Sirocco’s or 60 gr Partitions around 3,800 fps to shoot close to the same spot as my 52 gr hollow point coyote load at close to 4,000 fps. With that I would be able to have a coyote bullet in the chamber and a deer/hog bullet below in the magazine. I shoot every coyote I can so they skittish around here. Lol
                    So far haven’t hit 3,800 fps with my hog bullets and POI is about 1” from my coyote load. 👎
                    Did manage to get 52 gr Sierra HPBT’s and Sierra 55 gr SPBT’s to hit very close to each other at around 3,900 fps so that will work for now.
                    I load where I shoot so as I was working on my 52 gr coyote load I loaded one 40 gr H380, shot, checked case and chrony, loaded 41 gr, shot, 42 gr and shot. All 3 shots were touching. Unusual for 2 grs difference in powder charge.
                    Took it to the blind with me yesterday evening and heart shot this 18.5” Hill Country 10 pt at right at 275 yds. Ran about 30 yards and gave up the ghost.
                    So far so good.
                    That’s a good lookin rifle!

And only an inch of POI difference between the deer load and the coyote load? I wouldn’t hesitate a bit with that outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      What is the equivalent?
                      My bad forgot to add that. 22creedmoor I also neck down 6mm creed if I absolutely have to but I try not to do that too much because I also have a 6creed. I’ve tried as low as 55gr vmax with mixed results. They normally fall apart and splash.
                      Last edited by Txarrowhunter; 11-20-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        That’s a good lookin rifle!

And only an inch of POI difference between the deer load and the coyote load? I wouldn’t hesitate a bit with that outcome.
                        Yeah about an inch down and left diagonally. Velocity is not what I’m wanting either so I’ll play with it more another time.
                        The 55 Sierra soft points are ok on deer and shoot in the same place as my coyote load so that’ll work for now.

Comment

Working...
                        X