Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
    If you need to be shot you need to be dead

Perfectly said. Shoot to kill or don’t shoot at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Watch some police videos and watch how many rounds lots of folks soak up before the threat is eliminated. That alone will give you your answer. Horrible idea.

Comment

If a big pack rat broke into my house and pulled a knife on me I still wouldn't shoot it with bird shot out of a pistol. Wouldn't do nothin but hurt it.

If a person is trying to kill me I want bullets,slugs or buckshot.

Comment

Thanks guys, I’ll reserve my bird shot for the river and deer lease. Appreciate the replies.

Comment

Let me think….

Nope.

Comment

I agree that if I pull my carry weapon it is to end a threat, but since we are talking about it.
              What if a slightly wider pattern, even if only a couple inches, is able to connect whenever a hollow point might have missed? Maybe that buys you enough time to collect yourself and put more lead down range. I personally think that in most situations a hollow point would be the best chance of eliminating the threat, but like to play devils advocate.

A different question, what about a couple rounds of rat/bird shot in a pistol or shotgun that is used for home defense?

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                I agree that if I pull my carry weapon it is to end a threat, but since we are talking about it.
                What if a slightly wider pattern, even if only a couple inches, is able to connect whenever a hollow point might have missed? Maybe that buys you enough time to collect yourself and put more lead down range. I personally think that in most situations a hollow point would be the best chance of eliminating the threat, but like to play devils advocate.

A different question, what about a couple rounds of rat/bird shot in a pistol or shotgun that is used for home defense?

Waste of time with #9 or #12 rat shot in an already anemic pistol round.

You’ll get varying opinions here on bird shot for home defense. All I’ll say is I will never use it for that purpose but there are plenty of ways to educate yourself and form your own opinion on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They won’t even cycle the gun properly. You can play devils advocate but the likelihood of you being in a major bind running bird shot is a very very probability.

Comment

From a lot of the things I've heard and read over gun fights is you don't even know when you're hit a lot of times. Bird shot in a pistol wouldn't penetrate anything but flesh, not even that if the person getting shot with it has even a few layers of clothing on. If you even hit your target. They don't have to be very far before the pattern is so wide you'd be lucky just to get a few on target.

In a shotgun I'd like my chances a lot better using bird shot but I wouldn't be shooting 2 3/4" #7 1/2 shot. If given a choice 3 1/2" #4 turkey loads most likely. Bird shot is for birds. But if I had a choice and I had to use it to defend my life using a shotgun that's what I'd use if I didn't have anything else.

Comment

I often carry a 5-shot snub nosed 38sp with #7 1/2 bird shot in the first 2 cylinders. Does a decent job on snakes inside 6-ft. That ammo is near impossible to find anymore.

Shot a guys .410 derringer once. 2 3/4" shells with #8's. At 10 yards not a single pellet hit a sheet of paper. They were spreading FAST! What a usesless weapon even for snakes.

I guess pistol fired bird shot against perps is better than nothing. But not by much. Besides, you stand a really good chance of hitting someone else with the pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                        I often carry a 5-shot snub nosed 38sp with #7 1/2 bird shot in the first 2 cylinders. Does a decent job on snakes inside 6-ft. That ammo is near impossible to find anymore.

Shot a guys .410 derringer once. 2 3/4" shells with #8's. At 10 yards not a single pellet hit a sheet of paper. They were spreading FAST! What a usesless weapon even for snakes.

I guess pistol fired bird shot against perps is better than nothing. But not by much. Besides, you stand a really good chance of hitting someone else with the pattern.
                        My Uncle has a Bond Arms Defender in 45lc and .410 bore. I shot it once and it's pretty much the same way. I suppose if you shot at someone with it at least he'd be deaf for the rest of his life. That was the loudest gun I've ever shot. I wasn't a fan just because of that.

Comment

Yeah..... absolutely not.

Comment

For self-defense you need real bullets. If you’re close enough to hurt them with bird or rat shot, you’re close enough to put a hollow point on target. If they’re any distance away at all you’re just going to make them mad.

Comment

There is a reason for center body mass under stress, it is more stationary.

Comment

Happened to see a short video using birdshot (out of 9mm I think) into ballistic gel

1.5 inches penetration point blank.

No doubt it would hurt but not what I would use

Comment

Working...
                                X