Felt Recoil Comparison Between Ruger and S&W Revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felt Recoil Comparison Between Ruger and S&W Revolvers

For those of you that have shot both Ruger and Smith & Wesson revolvers, think Ruger Redhawk vs S&W 629 or Ruger GP100 vs S&W 686. Just curious if something about the design/grip angle causes one to have more felt recoil than the other, assuming pistol weights are similar.

Imo from all the ones I’ve shot it’s more in what grip fits ur hand best etc. which relates to less felt recoil. SW grips on a 629 are pretty big which fit me good. But good SAA style grips in a 44mag are rough due to pressure points and feeling like you have to hang on for deer life. Now same gun with a bisley frame is smooth. So imo it’s all about what grip fits you best.

Comment

Between the double actions, I never noticed a difference. Now single actions, definitely do different things when they recoil. A single action revolver will roll the barrel upwards noticeably more than a double action revolver. Back when I used to shoot a Ruger Super Blackhawk a lot, with hot loads. I found it was slow to get off following shots, when I had the factory grips on the gun. Because the gun would slide downwards in my had. I would have to readjust my grip on the handle. The small slick Ruger grips sucked, for controlling the gun. Once I put some aftermarket grips on it, that were larger in diameter, I did not have the problem of the grip of the gun sliding downwards in my hand. The gun would just roll upwards. My follow up shots were much faster, still not as fast as I could have done with a good double action. because the double actions don't roll upwards, like a single action.

I have shot multiple Ruger Super Blackhawks with hot loads and a Freedom Arms model 83 deluxe model, in 454 Casull. Both would roll the barrel upwards a lot.

I shot Ruger Redhawks a few times, then have shot a lot of S&W revolvers, of many different models, and a lot of different Colt double action revolvers, and Dan & Wesson revolvers. I have not shot one of the 686s. I have shot Ruger GP100s. I never noticed any difference in recoil between the two brands. Going from 357 to 44, yes there is a difference, but neither are bad. Double action revolvers, definitely recoil in more of a straight line, rearward than a double action, but even a double action the barrel rises up with recoil.

The barrel centerline being above the grip is one of the main reasons for the barrel moving upwards. The higher the barrel is above the grip, the more the barrel will move upwards on recoil. That's why Korth makes that revolver where the barrel screws into the bottom of the frame, then lines up with the cylinder bores at the bottom and not the top. Moving the barrel low, greatly reduces the muzzle rise, when the gun goes off. So follow up shots can be much faster.

Any revolver that lowers the barrel in relation to the grip, will recoil in more of a straight line, so the shooter will feel more of the recoil energy, in a straight line. Basically should jar your hand more. As where the single action design more of the recoil is absorbed in the upward motion of the gun. But the more dramatic, barrel rolling up noticeably more, is often seen as increased recoil. Then also single action revolvers are usually lighter than double action revolvers.

Of double action revolvers, one with a longer barrel and a under barrel lug, will have lower recoil, if shooting the same ammo, than a shorter barrel gun or one without a under barrel lug. The weight of the gun, is going to affect how much felt recoil there is. But having a heavier barrel will do more for recoil than adding weight to the frame. But adding weight to the gun anywhere helps slow the recoil. Then a ported gun, will have even less recoil. Those things are more of a a factor in coil than the brand.

The grip design and material, will play a huge factor in how well you can grip and control the revolver. Some people say different grips affect the recoil. I have never experienced such a situation. It's more of a how good of a job the grip does, in allowing you to keep the gun from moving in your hand. Then better designed grips, will make it easier to always grip the gun exactly the same, every time you grab the grip. If you grip the gun differently every time you grab it, it will change how the gun recoil, at the same time, change the point of impact of the bullet. So grips that locate your hand on the grip, will help improve accuracy.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 09-06-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

All I can say is that I was surprised by how little felt recoil I experienced the first time I shot my 5.5" Redhawk 44 mag, with standard Win white box ammo (not really hot, but not a light load either.)
        It had the factory rosewood grips at the time, too, which I replaced with Hogue's.

Comment

Working...
        X