300blk ar pistol vs bolt rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300blk ar pistol vs bolt rifle

If you own both which do you use more? Why?

Balancing extreme quiet with semi auto compactness.

I assume you are talking same caliber in both platforms?

I’d take a bolt gun all day but due to my disdain for that particular cartridge I only own a pistol platform that was acquired just recently for home defense.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Yes consider a 16” bolt .300 rifle or another 300blk ar pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
        Yes consider a 16” bolt .300 rifle or another 300blk ar pistol.

Primary use?

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

If it’s hogs or self defense (almost the same) I’d go with an AR. I know nothing about the cartridge except what I read. My AR pistol is a 5.56 but I wish it were a 6.8 SPC. I love that cartridge and it will kill a big hog quicker than a goat can fart.

Comment

I have a few blackouts. Bolt got the most use followed by my single shot, AR (sbr) got the least use.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Carrying around on the ranger while out on the farm for pigs and coyotes.

Also for predator clearing around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                I have a few blackouts. Bolt got the most use followed by my single shot, AR (sbr) got the least use.

You running supersonic or subsonic?

Comment

You running supersonic or subsonic?
                  Both, like the 125sst and the 125 tnt for supers, subs I like the 208 Amax (discontinued i think) or 220 smk. Shoot both suppressed. For camp or sxs I'd go with my AR sbr.

I reload and make my own brass so I don't buy ammo.

Comment

I would insert third option, 16” AR.

SBR can make it work, but has limits. Bolt gun isn’t an AR platform for on the fly execution.

If wanting to run subsonic, I would stick to bolt to hedge against cycling issues. You effective range is only ~60-75 yards though.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Same here.

Comment

100% the bolt action. I load a ton and can shoot subs from 85gr to 250 with it. 85gr pistol subs work well for coons and such. 150gr Berrys plated bullets are great plinkers and then you have Lehigh or makers for expanding hunting subs. Never have to worry about cycling or using a louder gunpowder to get it to cycle

Comment

Carrying around on the ranger while out on the farm for pigs and coyotes.

Also for predator clearing around the house.

AR pistol for the sxs scenario. Too close quarts for a bolt gun with a can.

Although what would be cool is an xp-100 platform with a 1-8 or 1-10 optic and 8-10inch barrel.

Comment

I have a 16” AR and a 16” bolt gun. Both are run with a suppressor.

I use the AR for gunning down pigs, under NVGs, riding in a side by side across a field. I run supers in it just for the extra umph to knock the pigs down. Have a 1-4x scope on it, an IR light and a IR laser. So I can shoot it day or night.

Strictly run subs in the bolt gun because it’s silly quiet. Use it for pigs or other critters when I go walking or just riding around. I’ve got my eotech on it, so again it can be day or night use.

I reload and use the 125gr Sierra gamechangers for super loads, 190gr Hornady Sub-x for my subs.

Comment

From what I read. You actually hurt the 300BO by putting it in a barrel greater than 7-9". The cartridge was developed to burn all its powder in those bbl lengths.
                              The single shot 300bo is my favorite because of the suppression.

Comment

Working...
                              X