South texas turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South texas turkey

Drew La sal del Rey for the turkey hunt this coming weekend. I’ve got zero experience with turkeys down south. Anyone been on the hunt or familiar with that area? 20 miles west of Raymondville. Thanks!

I hunted there for Nilgai a couple years ago, February timeframe. I heard gobblers every morning and saw turkeys there in the open fields near the wood line during the day. My suggestion would be try to roost them in the evening so you have some idea of where to setup in the morning. The area is bigger than it seems just looking at the map.

Comment

Wherever you are watch out for ticks

Comment

I have hunted nilgai there this year, lots of hogs, nilgai, I would bet the turkey hunting is pretty good. The closest I have hunted turkey to that area, was outside of Falfurrias, and then Encino, both places were great for turkey.

The place you are going, is just north of Edinburg, north of Edinburg Motorsports Park. You turn on to 186 going east, right by the Chorizo de San Manuel plant in Linn, Tx. Most of the hunting area is accessed off of Chapa Rd., but there is some of the hunt area, that can be accessed from 186. I wish I could give you more info, I was only there for about seven hours total, one day.

Comment

With out scouting, just run and gun. Start off by locating the taller trees. Usually along creeks or arroyo’s. Listen for gobbling, and try to get in there as sneaky as possible. They’re Rios one of the most aggressive turkey species out there. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be nice cool and calm. Only problem is clouds. They don’t talk much on over cast days.

Comment

South texas turkey

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            With out scouting, just run and gun. Start off by locating the taller trees. Usually along creeks or arroyo’s. Listen for gobbling, and try to get in there as sneaky as possible. They’re Rios one of the most aggressive turkey species out there. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be nice cool and calm. Only problem is clouds. They don’t talk much on over cast days.

I’m going down to our ranch and not even bringing a shotgun. I’ve had a few turkeys on camera this spring but I’ll go 12 to 24 months without seeing them from the blind then all of the sudden I’ll see 60 at once.

It’s the same way with hogs and doves. We either have a ton or few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Working...
              X