Woodturning thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
    Nice! I like being able to tie the wood used in a project to some type of history for the person receiving the gift!
    Absolutely. For years I carried a pen that was made from some Pinion pine which me and my pen making friend picked up in Utah, while on a cow elk hunt. Unfortunately, I finally lost it. Now I primarily use a pen with wood made from wood that was saved from a building at A&M.

Eventually, I need to make another pen for myself with cedar from a fence post put in the ground by my dad years ago. They bring back lots of memories.

Comment

Here's a link to a rough video I did covering the very basic steps to turning a pen.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh4oxOy6KGk"]Pen Turning basics - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to create and post that video, Matt. Well done

Comment

Wow, y'all have some nice work. Glad to see more turners out there

I turn mainly pens but have dabbled in the bowl world. I love turning both acrylics and wood.

Comment

What wood is the bowl made from? Coco?

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
              What wood is the bowl made from? Coco?
              That bowl is made from Paduak. That is my second bowl I have made.

Comment

i want to get into this before i die. Maybe some day.

Do any of you guys ever make any wooden spinning tops? The kind we olds had as toys as kids? That's what i want to learn to make. Again, some day.

Comment

I just bought a lathe. Plan on turning some pens and bowls. Cannot wait to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                    i want to get into this before i die. Maybe some day.

Do any of you guys ever make any wooden spinning tops? The kind we olds had as toys as kids? That's what i want to learn to make. Again, some day.
                    Mike we had a guy join our wood forum that is a top maker deluxe his stuff is outstanding

Well I can't get the pictures to load. PM me for info and pictures
                    Last edited by WildThings; 01-13-2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I know it's a "woodturning" thread, but any advice for someone trying to turn epoxy resin? I am trying to make am ice cream scoop for my wife for Valentine's Day that is the same color as her favorite ice cream, Blue Bell Christmas Cookie. I made a blank that after it cured I realized wasn't big enough. The 2nd bigger blank the colors mixed together to make an nasty green...

I tried to practice the 1st smaller blank and seemed to get a lot of vibration and chip out. Is this meaning I just need to sharpen tools? I am using Alumilite Deep Pour...

Anyone know how long I need to wait before combining different colors?

Comment

Woodturning thread.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am a novice and wanting to learn. Are y’all having to stabilize the woods prior to working? If so, how?

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                          I know it's a "woodturning" thread, but any advice for someone trying to turn epoxy resin? I am trying to make am ice cream scoop for my wife for Valentine's Day that is the same color as her favorite ice cream, Blue Bell Christmas Cookie. I made a blank that after it cured I realized wasn't big enough. The 2nd bigger blank the colors mixed together to make an nasty green...

I tried to practice the 1st smaller blank and seemed to get a lot of vibration and chip out. Is this meaning I just need to sharpen tools? I am using Alumilite Deep Pour...

Anyone know how long I need to wait before combining different colors?
                          I haven't turned much resin but for vibrations in wood I will sharpen my tools, take less aggressive cuts, or adjust the turning speed; usually one or a combination of these will resolve the issue for me with wood. I've also noticed some vibrations when turning something on a mandrel and brass tube inserts that adjusting the pressure placed on the blank from the tailstock will sometimes help the issue. You might also consider using a negative rake scrapper or negative rake carbide tool to reduce chip out.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am a novice and wanting to learn. Are y’all having to stabilize the woods prior to working? If so, how?

Most hardwoods do not need stabilized. I'll stabilize if I'm combining with resin, turning really small and thin(rings and sometime ink pens) or if the wood is soft and punky(beginning stages of rotting).

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                              Most hardwoods do not need stabilized. I'll stabilize if I'm combining with resin, turning really small and thin(rings and sometime ink pens) or if the wood is soft and punky(beginning stages of rotting).

Thanks. I went out an cut some persimmon today, and have painted the ends. Plan on letting it dry for a while.

Comment

I think this blank will turn out better. I did 6.5 hours before mixing to get color separation. I still think the green may have sank to the bottom. We will see. Demold next Sunday.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X