Sea Sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Sickness

I am taking my wife and two kids deep sea fishing in July. Although I have been out several times, they have only bay fished. I believe you can buy Dramamine over the counter for motion sickness, but is there something better. I want them to have a good time and want to do it again. Anybody have a suggestion to prevent or minimize their chance of getting sick?
    Last edited by meathunter; 06-26-2022, 06:13 PM.

Ginger pills and go bare foot. Not joking.

Could also look at prescription Transderm-Scop patches.

Comment

I get very bad motion sickness. It never affects me when I am bass fishing, but on the bay or gulf I just can’t do it no matter how much Dramamine I take. I hope y’all have a great trip.

Comment

Prescription patch, only way to go. If it gets too bad Dramamine won’t do it

Comment

Stay up on deck!

Comment

Whatever, you take needs to bee in your system for several days ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinboy33 View Post
              Whatever, you take needs to bee in your system for several days ahead of time.
              This is what I have been told

Comment

If they start feeling queasy tell them to focus on the horizon. It's the only thing that is steady on a moving boat.

Comment

Glad you brought this up

My buddy & I are taking his boat almost 80 miles out in a couple weeks and last time we just went past the jetty’s and I got sick

Didn’t throw up but had to lay down after only 2 hours out

Comment

I've been sick everytime I've ever been out. Ask your doctor for scoplamine. It's the patch. Worked for me. Only time I didn't get sick.

Comment

I've had many of people take ginger pills, bonine, dramamine, and the patch get sick offshore.
                      I fish offshore alot, run out 100 miles or so on alot of trips. Sometimes the conditions just make for a bad mix.
                      If it's bumpy especially and the boat rocks while fishing. Not so bad if your moving.

If you do take dramamine, you might need to take some caffeine with it. Drink something with some caffeine if you get to drowsy.

If they do start to get to feeling bad. Just go to the back, finger in your throat and get it out. You'll feel better pretty fast after that.

But what I find best, after any thing thats been taken to prevent it. Is plenty of water, cold fluids. Don't eat alot of food. Fresh fruit, and don't look down at the deck , look out.
                      I hope its a nice day, for yall.

Comment

Stare into a tackle box

Comment

Concentrate on the horizon and puke if you’re queasy. I’ve been told jumping in the water is instant relief, but never tried it. I like to eat peppermints as I’m fishing, seems to help.

Comment

Tell your GP what you are doing before you go, they can prescribe Dramamine and the patch so you’ll have it if needed. That’s about all you can do

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                              I've had many of people take ginger pills, bonine, dramamine, and the patch get sick offshore.
                              I fish offshore alot, run out 100 miles or so on alot of trips. Sometimes the conditions just make for a bad mix.
                              If it's bumpy especially and the boat rocks while fishing. Not so bad if your moving.

If you do take dramamine, you might need to take some caffeine with it. Drink something with some caffeine if you get to drowsy.

If they do start to get to feeling bad. Just go to the back, finger in your throat and get it out. You'll feel better pretty fast after that.

But what I find best, after any thing thats been taken to prevent it. Is plenty of water, cold fluids. Don't eat alot of food. Fresh fruit, and don't look down at the deck , look out.
                              I hope its a nice day, for yall.
                              All of the above, and stay on the deck where there’s fresh air/wind. Also, a cold wet towel around the neck helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X