Sportmanship-Lost art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sportmanship-Lost art?

After watching some of the College WS, it reminded me of how unsportsmanlike the world is getting. Whatever happened to rooting for your team and being respectful to the other.

One of my sons was a very good HS Quarterback and pitcher. He also played select baseball for 10 years. I can remember how awful so many teams, coaches, fans, and even announcers were over the years. (Select was the worst)

Many people I knew very well, once they paid $5 to watch a game, turned into horrible fans. I just don't get it at any level, especially HS and down.

Just for clarity, the definition of sportsmanship is "fair and generous behavior or treatment of others, especially in a sports contest"

Rant over.

From Thomas Sowell

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHQkxs97aM"]How Muhammad Ali Changed Sports for the WORSE - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

"The truest test of a man's good name, is acceptace of failure, at losing a game with a smile and a handshake...and quiet, ever-building rage..."

I stole that from a song.

We see all kinds at baseball, but most are still inherently good. I can guarantee you one thing though, if the players act like *******s....the coach is an *******.

Tennessee was a perfect example in the NCAA baseball super regional....Tony Vitello is a complete ********...and his team acts like dickheads.

Comment

Absolutely no intent on my part to be disrespectful but Maybe it has to do with the fact that people figured out how to monetize kids sports?
        Again, just my opinion but before kids sport became a business kids played for fun and parents assisted as much as they could. Now you have a lot of select play and because a kid might be recruited or just simply on a select team they think they are special somehow. Parents might feel like since they are spending thousands of dollars they have some right to act like their opinions matter. Parents and coaches should have sportsmanship at the top of the list

Comment

if the players act like *******s....the coach is an *******.

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            "The truest test of a man's good name, is acceptace of failure, at losing a game with a smile and a handshake...and quiet, ever-building rage..."

We see all kinds at baseball, but most are still inherently good. I can guarantee you one thing though, if the players act like *******s....the coach is an *******.

Tennessee was a perfect example in the NCAA baseball super regional....Tony Vitello is a complete ********...and his team acts like dickheads.
            Well said, and I like "Fools Gold" too.

Comment

Starts with the parents I'm afraid.
              Easy enough to not let them act like you know whats.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

DMo, have always respected your straight forward ness and ability to deliver on point. Agree 100% with your take on the subject.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Absolutely no intent on my part to be disrespectful but Maybe it has to do with the fact that people figured out how to monetize kids sports?
                  Again, just my opinion but before kids sport became a business kids played for fun and parents assisted as much as they could. Now you have a lot of select play and because a kid might be recruited or just simply on a select team they think they are special somehow. Parents might feel like since they are spending thousands of dollars they have some right to act like their opinions matter. Parents and coaches should have sportsmanship at the top of the list
                  If that's the case, then they were ****ty parents to begin with.

Comment

It starts out when they're turning 10.
                    The son gets a ball from Dad for his birthday and asks dad to come on and play.
                    Wants Dad to teach him out to throw.
                    But Dad says not today, I got a lot to do.
                    Boy says "That's Ok" and he walks away.
                    But the boy's smile never dims.
                    He just thinks, Yeah, I'm going to be like him. You know, I'm going to be like him.

Comment

Went to one college baseball game this year. 30 minutes in my 6 yo says is everyone being rude? Yes son they are… why dad? I have no earthly idea son

Comment

We had an overall great experience with Select baseball. Great competition, we traveled to some cool places to play. For those kids that want to play HS baseball, Select is almost a necessity. Every kid on his HS baseball team was a Select player.

There was always one or two teams that had orchestrated strategies to heckle and belittle players and teams. I always used it as a teaching point to my son. You can learn more from a bad example than from a good one sometimes.

I just do not understand why people act like complete idiots at some of these events and act completely different in their day to day lives.

....and I read no disrespect at all in your response.

Originally posted by flywise View Post

Comment

Case in point. Now a 6 year old boy thinks it is OK to be an *****. (I am sure you won't let that happen, but you get my point)

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                          Went to one college baseball game this year. 30 minutes in my 6 yo says is everyone being rude? Yes son they areā€¦ why dad? I have no earthly idea son

Comment

Add TV cameras and it all gets 10 times worse. Maybe 100 times worse.

Comment

When we went to Select I was very let down in the whole system! Parenting and Coaches that are in that horrible parenting group made it even worse. There were a lot of good coaches but a lot of bad also .

Comment

Working...
                              X