First Bow Kill For You Old Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bow Kill For You Old Guys

So how about you older guys. Were y’all ever young at all? Were cameras even available back them? LOL. If not let’s here about what it was and what year. This is my first bow kill in 1988 With a Bear Whitetail. I was young, mean and skinny. It took me 2 years to learn how to get to full draw without spooking the animal.
    Attached Files

I hunted with a crossbow in Ohio from '78-'81. And when I moved back down here in '81, I picked up a Bear recurve, till I bought a used '78 Indian with the wheels mounted on hangers in 1990. It was a many many years before I finally got my first bow deer, maybe '92. I did kill a rabbit at 55 yards with the Bear recurve and a judo point one time .

I always hunted public lands when bowhunting, except in Ohio. Other than a few day gun hunts provided by my employer from '83-86, didn't get on my first lease till 2005 (for a year). Then back to public till 2008 lease for a season. I got the popertunity to manage a corp lease in Jacksborro for 3 years from 1999-2001. That wa sfun! Except for a hand full of invites from members here for various types of hunts, haven't been back on a lease since. Just hunt public.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-19-2022, 08:58 AM.

Comment

My first was in 1985 in Colorado. I grew up in the area around FT. Collins. It was much more rural then. I had a guy give me permission to hunt on the river for ducks. The catch was no guns. He had champion steers that he was afraid would spook. We landed hundred of mallards and shot at them with bows. I killed 3 that year. It taught me how to be a much better waterfowler. Looking back, I would t be that patient now. Maybe being young has its advantages.

Comment

Looks like the same bow I had. Mine was a Bear Whitetail II, bought in 84, maybe 85. Shot my first deer (doe) with it about a year or two later. Then, while I was blood trailing her, I got a shot on a 4 point buck at about 15 yards and missed.
        Killed a few more deer with it but all doe. Didn’t get my first bow buck till 2001, after I bought a new bow, the Mathew’s SQ2.
        Still have both bows!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
          Looks like the same bow I had. Mine was a Bear Whitetail II, bought in 84, maybe 85. Shot my first deer (doe) with it about a year or two later. Then, while I was blood trailing her, I got a shot on a 4 point buck at about 15 yards and missed.
          Killed a few more deer with it but all doe. Didn’t get my first bow buck till 2001, after I bought a new bow, the Mathew’s SQ2.
          Still have both bows!!!
          Same bow in the picture. Bear Whitetail II. Killed my first doe with it too. Graduated to a Mountaineer 3D Hunter about 3 years later and really started killing stuff then.
          Attached Files

Comment

Late 70’s. Not firsts, but some early photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Too old to remember!

Comment

Burnadell’s first bow kill pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a photo album and journal I started back in tge mid 70s. Hundreds of pics along with journal entries with details of hunting and fishing. Memories and special times I have the forsite to record. Folks long gone now...

I lost it in a divorce fire in 2006. It was my most valued possession at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    I had a photo album and journal I started back in tge mid 70s. Hundreds of pics along with journal entries with details of hunting and fishing. Memories and special times I have the forsite to record. Folks long gone now...

I lost it in a divorce fire in 2006. It was my most valued possession at the time.
                    I hate to hear that Steve. I’m sure everyone on this forum would have loved to see all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Burnadell’s first bow kill pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      AC you ain’t right. But you may not be wrong either. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Late 70’s. Not firsts, but some early photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                        What kind of bow was that Jeff?

Comment

I can’t post pictures but mine was a rabbit in 1978-probably 60 yards. I don’t think I could make that shot today. Dumb asz luck

Comment

Well I don’t think I’m old but... my first bow kill was with a Bear compound made around 1990 similar to yours. Got a nice sow as my first kill!

Comment

Cool pics. Fishndude with win for best camo ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X