5 Long Years!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Long Years!!!

That’s how long it took me to finally get a decent axis buck off my own property. I moved out here to Sonora knowing there were no pigs yet thinking I was gonna be covered up with axis.

Turns out, they are here, but very spotty. They show up for a few days, and then disappear fo months. I’ve been here almost 5yrs, and every time I get pics and try to go hunt them, they either come in downwind and start barking, or never come in at all. During this past deer season, I was hunting whitetail one afternoon, and had a couple axis does show up right before dark. I made a great shot on the big doe with my longbow. That was my first axis ever off my own place. But I was still yearning for a decent buck!

That is, until this past week!!! I pulled camera cards last week and was surprised to see a whole gob of axis coming into 2 different feeders real regular. I decided to hunt and had this guy come in on Thursday afternoon:

He was my number one target, but I promptly flubbed the whole deal with my longbow. I hit him right at the very top of his back. It sucked, but he will live to see another day. Although I doubt I’ll ever see him again. Axis are just that way!

Anyway, I decided to give it another try yesterday. Since I flubbed on the big buck, I was gonna be content with a doe or dink buck if I got the chance. And I took the compound this time!!!!

Yesterday afternoon, at about 5:10, two axis came strolling in. One was a big doe, and the other was a decent, full velvet buck. They went straight to the remnants of the bale of alfalfa I had put out the day before. The more I looked at that buck, the more the velvet just mesmerized me, and I decided I would shoot him if I got the chance.

They showed up before the feeder went off, and he kept facing straight at me offering no shot. I was worried that the feeder was gonna spook them when it went off. Turns out it did, but in a good way. Everything did spook and bolt a bit, but then he came right back to the corn and offered me a picture perfect shot.

I didn’t mess up this time, putting the arrow right where it need to be. I watched run for about 100yds till he finally disappeared into the brush. I waited a while then got out to investigate. There was no blood anywhere! [emoji15] I keep going where I had seen him run. I finally found just a few small spots of blood about 30-40yds out. I kept going, and as I rounded another clump of brush, I was relieved to see him lying there. He probably went 150yds total. My shot was perfect. I used an Iron Will broadhead, and was very displeased with the blood trail results.

Anyway, here he is! His main beams are only 25-26”, but he still looks really cool with that full velvet. I think I am gonna have him should mounted because he is my first axis buck from my own place.

I just hope it’s not another 5 years till I get another chance at some axis!!!!!

Sorry for the long read, but I’m really excited to have gotten this done!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great job Bisch.

Comment

Man, that is going to look very nice up on the wall. Congrats !!

Comment

Great write up. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome man! Congrats on a great trophy.

Comment

Nice one Bisch - congrats!

Comment

Great job, congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yeah! Waydago!

Comment

Excellent! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Job well done. That's a cool Axis.

Comment

Congrats!
                      Sure Zeke could’ve found him quick

Comment

Nice job!! Well done.........................

Comment

Very cool! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by awry View Post
                              Congrats!
                              Sure Zeke could’ve found him quick

I put Zeke on him, and he did find him. It wasn’t a beeline. I could tell he was having some trouble in the middle, but he did sort it out and get to the deer!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X