Who cans tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who cans tomatoes

I’m covered up in tomatoes right now and my plants keep making. I’m thinking about preserving the tomatoes until the end of the growing season then canning spaghetti sauce and salsa. I’m wondering if I can wash them and then vacuum seal them or blanch them first. Anyone have any experience with this? I really don’t want to have to do small batches all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife put up a bunch last year, but I don’t know her process. She made salsa with the last of last year’s tomatoes a few weeks ago.

Comment

My cousin freezes tomatoes whole and cans them when she gets the right amount. I am going to try it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
        My wife put up a bunch last year, but I don’t know her process. She made salsa with the last of last year’s tomatoes a few weeks ago.

That’s my goal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
          My cousin freezes tomatoes whole and cans them when she gets the right amount. I am going to try it this year.

I see a few different methods out there. Some blanch and peel, some just wash, and some use zipper bags and vacuum sealed bags. I guess it’s just a preference. I’m think the blanching method to kill any critters in them.

Comment

My first thought was that freezing the tomatoes might compromise the texture but, as I got to thinking about it, if your ultimate goal is to use them to make spaghetti sauce or salsa would it really matter? I’ve never tried freezing tomatoes so I’m in for the answers.

Comment

My wife does them as she goes. I’d imagine freezing wouldn’t hurt anything though.

Comment

Bag em up and freeze them till your ready to cook them down. No need to blanch. Once they are thawed the skin will peel right off just like they have been blanched. We did it for years with tomatoes.

Comment

Okay We blanch and skin. Core and cut into quarters. Bring to a boil. Sterilize jars, add 1 teaspoon of salt and sugar to each jar, fill with tomatoes, hot bath for 10 minutes. That’s it. We use for cooking chili, soup and what ever else needs tomatoes or tomato juice.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Coyote Canyon; 06-14-2022, 03:38 PM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

I plan on getting some of these tomatoes bagged up this weekend. Since I posted this a few day ago I have since filled the wagon up with tomatoes. The green ones have also turned a beautiful red. I ate one of the large beef steaks last night and it was amazing. Now it's time to fertilize the plants again.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                      I plan on getting some of these tomatoes bagged up this weekend. Since I posted this a few day ago I have since filled the wagon up with tomatoes. The green ones have also turned a beautiful red. I ate one of the large beef steaks last night and it was amazing. Now it's time to fertilize the plants again.
                      Can you tell what you will fertilize with?

Comment

Tagged

Comment

We can as we go. Freezing tomatoes sounds terrible to me but it may be fine. I would have to buy another whole freezer dedicated to veggies if we did that. I just have a small backyard garden and have gone through about 25=30 lbs of tomatoes so far.

Comment

I freeze the tomatoes that I'm going to make tomato sauce or pasta sauce with. Just throw them in a freezer bag. The skin splits and slides right off. I dehydrate the skins. I run that through the food processor to a powder consistency and use that powder for extra flavor. For salsa, I use fresh tomatoes as we like our salsa chunky.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X