Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Remember that picture from the previous day? Same spot

Comment

In. Great story and pics so far. Can't wait for the rest.

Comment

Great thread...I got hunt a bear now!
              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Day 5 – 5/4
                Up at 530, with breakfast, looks like it’s going to be sunny and hot (70 degrees or so for the high).

Micah picked me up and we headed towards the ‘traps’ bait to check the camera card, make sure big boy was in there the night before, and cut the dogs loose. Brook chose to sit this one out, must’ve gotten the headsup that we were going to this gnarly area.

There was a huge tree down across the road and Micah was worried about access, so he had me follow him down in the four wheeler. With some creative driving, we both were able to make it. We hiked to the bait, pulled the card, confirmed there were several big bears in these and cut some of the dogs loose.

Watched them on the GPS head up the mountain, across a couple canyons, then we jumped back in the four wheeler and truck and headed back up to try to intercept. I parked the wheeler, jumped back in the truck towards the top and we headed off towards the dogs.

At one point we found the bear and dog tracks crossing the road in the snow, looked like a good one.

Micah then mentioned he promised himself he would never run his dogs in this area again, but here we were doing it again…great. Fingers were crossed that the dogs/bear went right, up the mountain, instead they went left into the crap area…not what I was hoping to hear.

We drove down the switchbacks as far as we could until we hit another downed tree across the road. Hopped out, grabbed our packs and several dogs and headed out on foot to find the dogs. First part of the hike was great, not too steep, not too much bushwhacking, lots of bear tracks, then we came up over the top of a nasty canyon…’welcome to Ladder Creek’.

Impressive view, but my legs were already screaming just looking at it. Of course, three dogs were down in there. One was walking the bear, and two were stuck.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

What a canyon! My ankles hurt just looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X