JFT Turkey Tour 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Easter fellas

I recruited my SIL for this morning. We can only hunt until about 7:45 but that should be long enough.

Comment

Moved closer to where they roosted Fri night, in an opening I havent hunted before. Gobbling on the roost like crazy right now . One close and one a couple hundred yds away ( approx where I hunted yesterday).

Comment

4 hens just came through like they’re supposed to

Only problem is they didn’t have any gobblers with em…..not a peep this mornin

Comment

Ran out of time

Comment

Chicken on a stick! Never a doubt!

Gonna call this the 5k bird. Fun morning. Full write up later. Happy Easter all!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post

Gonna call this the 5k bird. Fun morning. Full write up later. Happy Easter all!

Beautiful

Congrats man.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post

Awesomr, congrats!

All quiet here. Ths one I set up near apparently didnt think I sounded hot enough. Never been able to call em from the roost.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                  My boy is having a awesome weekend so far….I’ll share the story later when I get some more time.

Ever seen a line in the beard like this one has?

Known as beard rot. It is from a time of nutrition deficiency when he was growing that part of the beard. It may be extremely brittle there so be careful and handle it gently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220417_092640~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	24682083

Finally got one on the hook. He walked back and forth down a ranch road about 150yds away for maybe 20min. Finally came through the brush about 30yds out. I brought the shotgun with me just in case, didnt want to lose another chance by not getting drawn. He came all the way in to 10yds. He turned his fan to me and I drew. As soon as his head came visible again I aimed right at his head, forgetting to aim high because he was so close. I heard the arrow hit, but was low. Since he was still turned hard away it apparently hit his wingbone. He ran and I threw down the bow and grabbed the shotgun and let him have it at maybe 30yds.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      [ATTACH]1086738[/ATTACH]

Finally got one on the hook. He walked back and forth down a ranch road about 150yds away for maybe 20min. Finally came through the brush about 30yds out. I brought the shotgun with me just in case, didnt want to lose another chance by not getting drawn. He came all the way in to 10yds. He turned his fan to me and I drew. As soon as his head came visible again I aimed right at his head, forgetting to aim high because he was so close. I heard the arrow hit, but was low. Since he was still turned hard away it apparently hit his wingbone. He ran and I threw down the bow and grabbed the shotgun and let him have it at maybe 30yds.

Awesome!! However it gets done! Glad to see you finally get on board.. Persistence pays off

I am curious why you were aiming at the head with an arrow though? Robin Hood would be proud. Heck you probably hit him right if you hit him around the wingbone and it penetrated. Either way...congrats on getting it done.

Name:	Turkey shot placement chart 2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	24682085

Name:	000 turkey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24682086

Comment

[ATTACH]1086749[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Awesome!! However it gets done! Glad to see you finally get on board.. Persistence pays off

I am curious why you were aiming at the head with an arrow though? Robin Hood would be proud. Heck you probably hit him right if you hit him around the wingbone and it penetrated. Either way...congrats on getting it done.

[ATTACH]1086740[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086741[/ATTACH]
                          Using Gobbler Guillotine ( thats why I need them so close )

Edit again, if I would have waited for him to face more to me I would have hit lower neck and been fine. But I jumped the gun and took the first shot at the head I got. Have killed a couple with these, and like them. But if they are quartering hard away and hit the wing it doesnt turn out to well haha
                          Last edited by miket; 04-17-2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                            Using Gobbler Guillotine ( thats why I need them so close )

Ahhhhh....I guess I missed that earlier. That makes more sense... disregard my previous post...

Comment

There’s been some success here lately. Congrats to everyone!

Just now getting back in Texas from the New Mexico opener. We had to call a last minute audible and head to a different area of the state than we had originally planned. At 6 am we found ourselves on the rim of the canyon. I let out one little soft put, and immediately got cut off by a gobbler. We set up about 175 yards from him. He was yodeling at anything that would make any noise. Once he flew down, he went dead silent. It was 15 minutes later, when I heard the unmistakable drum about 60 yards out. It took him a while to close the gap, but he put on one hell of a show. Finally at 12 yards, JoAnn could hardly breathe from the adrenaline so I called the shot. The .410 smacked him in the lips and she had her first turkey ever. A public land OTC Merriams!

It was a long hot rest of the day. Finally at about 6 pm I got another bird fired up. He was a good ways up the mountain. I figured we’d listen to him go to roost and we’d come up with a game plan to get to him in the morning. About 5 minutes later he gobbled 50 yards out. He was coming quick! I let him get 15 yards and let him have it. A very exciting opening day!

Saturday and this morning consisted of running into tons of people. It’s kind of frustrating, but part of that type of hunting. Regardless, Friday made it all worth it.

Comment

Congrats everyone on the success. JBone, you’re a turkey killing beast

Comment

Working...
                                X