Inks Lake or Powderhorn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inks Lake or Powderhorn?

I had written down a bunch of hunt's I could take my daughter to for standby. Between work, my hunt I drew, and her volleyball schedule, only 2 will end up working out. They're Inks lake and Powderhorn.

Why would you pick one over the other? We've never hunted either. I know everyone is going to probably say powderhorn and I know it's awesome. But I'm worried about wasting our time on that and not getting selected. Seems like a ton of folks show for that standby. Anyone have actual testimony from Inks Lake/ Longhorn Caverns hunt?

Thank you for reading or weighing in on this...

Not much help, but I wonder if it would be worth your time to call up ahead of time and get an idea on how many may not be showing up?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Inks is a good hunt
      The guys there are great, good box blind WITH FEEDERS. They will take you in and drop you off and pick you up. This one came from inks . 2017 draw hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Definitely Powder Horn. A bigger selection of game.

Comment

Powderhorn. More game.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            Not much help, but I wonder if it would be worth your time to call up ahead of time and get an idea on how many may not be showing up?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
            I am already planning to call them both about a week before each hunt. Who knows, we may try to do both. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
              Inks is a good hunt
              The guys there are great, good box blind WITH FEEDERS. They will take you in and drop you off and pick you up. This one came from inks . 2017 draw hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Nice! Would love love love to put my daughter on a nice buck like this! But honestly, I'd be pumped if she could shoot a doe or a pig too!

Comment

I would bet that you all will have a lot more competition for standby at Powderhorn compared to Inks.

Comment

You can check the stats from last year and see how many showed up for standby, how many got picked for x number of spots. I would think inks lake is more limited on the number they take over powderhorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                    Nice! Would love love love to put my daughter on a nice buck like this! But honestly, I'd be pumped if she could shoot a doe or a pig too!
                    Check out TYHP, fantastic program.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Inks lake is a great hunt. Amazing blinds and greet staff. I killed two doe and a hog on my hunt there last year.

I went to Powderhorn last year to try to get a standby spot. 140 other people had the same idea. Needless to say I didn’t get picked. However a guy who knew all the staff by name and all the staff knew him by name miraculously got picked.

Comment

Going with your daughter and going standby, go to Inks Lake. It's more established and, not knowing your daughter, possibly more to do in the area if you don't get selected so that you can salvage the weekend. And definitely check out THYP as mentioned. Best program ever!

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                          Inks lake is a great hunt. Amazing blinds and greet staff. I killed two doe and a hog on my hunt there last year.

I went to Powderhorn last year to try to get a standby spot. 140 other people had the same idea. Needless to say I didn’t get picked. However a guy who knew all the staff by name and all the staff knew him by name miraculously got picked.

****, I hate hearing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                            ****, I hate hearing that.

Yeah. Kind of crappy. I’m a people watcher and knew he’d get picked after seeing their interaction.

Funny thing is the others who got picked were visibly excited. This guy lead different, no reaction like he knew he was getting picked.

Comment

Several things to consider. (1) Draw success: Last year at Powderhorn in 3 hunts there were 98 total youth standbys and only 19 got selected. Not sure if Inks Lake had an either sex hunt last year but their statistics weren't published for this category. I would definitely believe the draw success rate would be greater at Inks.

(2) Ease of hunting for a kid. My only experience is at Inks Lake. Inks is very kid friendly. They drive you to nice box stands. Lots of targets. Fairly short distances on shots. Sounds like Powderhorn is pretty target rich environment as well. Would also consider other "non-hunting" aspects. Lodging/camping arrangements, restaurants/meals, things to see in the area.

Based on standby numbers alone though, I would probably focus more on Inks. As suggested, good to call ahead to get a feel for the probability of getting selected. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X