Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal for tent on utility trailer

Wife wants to try camping wants to be off ground

Is this an idea or are you looking for the ideal tent to pitch on a utility trailer?

Comment

If she wants to camp tell her to do it like it's meant to be, get with the elements and nature, tough it out and go "camping". If not, tell her to find a hotel near where she wants to "camp".

you can't be off the ground when you go camping because when you go camping you sit by the fire, hike, swim, etc...

when it comes to sleeping or resting...
      to answer your question, not many tents are off the ground. Maybe a "Kamp Rite" (see below) unless you have a trailer or platform to pitch a tent on or put a regular Cot inside the tent or a Hammock.

Kamp Rite and Cabela's version

Last edited by ATI; 07-21-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

You can fab some uprights on the trailer & put a roof top tent on it. She'd be about 6' off the ground.

Comment

Lookup roof top tents. You can mount them on a trailer. I started with a cheap one on Amazon. For the jeep. And upgraded from there.

Comment

My wife can be a bit picky about where she’ll sleep in a ground tent. She’ll sleep anywhere I can park my truck with this setup, and it’s way more comfortable. It’s off the ground a good ways, so it gets good airflow when I open up the vent flaps. This is huge in Texas considering how hot it can be even at night. If it’s cooler just close up the vents more to restrict airflow. The 4” sleeping pad adds considerable insulation which keeps me warmer than on the ground with a thinner pad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3A5D5E07-7817-486E-9E9B-DE63A204B6FB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24624756Click image for larger version

Name:	E2CDAC20-5F88-4C51-A2C9-721675D2473D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24624757

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              this setup, and it’s way more comfortable.
              What brand is this one? Been looking for something similar.

Comment

I'll rent you my travel trailer!

Comment

I used a tent cot on an elk hunt in New Mexico. Unloaded my ATV off the trailer then set up the tent cot on the trailer. Super easy and comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by TEX_hunt_AS View Post
                    What brand is this one? Been looking for something similar.
                    CVT. Forgot the model, but it can comfortably sleep 3 and if you decided to stretch it could hold 4. It’s extremely spacious with just 2.

The best trick I’ve found for it is to place a Thermacell smack in the middle of it about 30 minutes before calling it a night with one screen open. Then when you get in for the night turn the thermacell off after all screens are closed. There won’t be a bug in it, which is huge where we’ve taken it.

Comment

We ran a couple prices of rebar and threw a tarp over it several years ago in NM.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mount this on the trailer.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Look up the old FART threads. Their "cabin" was usually a 16' lowboy trailer with a tarp tent.

If she just doesn't want to lay on the ground, an air mattress would be a cheap alternative.

If she doesn't want any ground contact, just get a tent that will fit on whatever trailer you have and use screws or bolts to "stake" it to the trailer.

Comment

Saw this advertised the other day and thought it looked cool. Suspends from three trees and supposed to fit 3 adults and gear.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Popup camping trailer.
                              Lots of wall tent outfits put them on pallets, or over , for a floor, plywood or OSB on top for a flat floor.

Comment

Working...
                              X