Missing 4 yrs Rust Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing 4 yrs Rust Problem

Well, finally got around to cleaning out tack room and found the 3 22's that had been missing for quite a while, 4 yrs. In a gun case but as you know they need to breathe and now 2 are very rusty, light to medium all over. What would be your starting point for best clean up if there is such a thing?

Corrosion X has worked well for me and several people I know in the past. Check out their product line.

Comment

I reworked a old savage 22 that was totally rusted. I sprayed it with wd40 and let it stand for several days. Then I repeated this with Rem oil spray for several days. Wiping the loose rust off and reapplying oil. After couple weeks, I saturated some steel wool with oil to remove what was left. Gun had no rust but the bluing had a patina that looked like some 100 year old guns. Painting might be another option after the rust is removed

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

The guns will most likely have to be refinished, and will most likely have a good bit of pitting, when you get the rust off.

There are a lot of ways to get the rust off. Sanding, Ospho will eat up the rust, Naval Jelly, you could sand blast or media blast the parts. Once you get the rust off, you will likely have a decent amount of pitting. Either live with the pitting or possibly weld up the pitting and grind and sand the welded areas back down. I would only consider TIG welding, if you decide to go that far. Most 22s are probably not worth TIGing them up to clean up rust. To TIG up pitted areas, you would probably have to sand blast or media blast the pieces to get all chemicals off of the surface before welding.

You could probably use some type of filler, then sand the surfaces smooth and then have the gun parts Cerakoted. Be careful with Cerakoting, I have a gun that was Cerakoted and they got the Cerakoting inside the barrels and chambers. Then they had it all inside the gun, on all of the small moving parts, that should have been slick. Took a lot of time to get the Cerakoting out of the chambers and then off of the small moving parts, that should not have been coated. The gun was not useable before I removed the coatings from inside the chambers, you could not chamber a round. Then the trigger was very heavy and stiff. It took a lot of effort to cock the hammer and to pull the trigger on the gun. Once all of the small moving parts were cleaned of Cerakoting, the gun went to functioning like normal.

So Cerakoting can be good and bad, if you have it done to any of those guns, make sure the person who does the work, is not lazy and knows what they are doing.

Comment

Rusty 22's

This is what I found as far as rust.Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty22's.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	24662290

Comment

The Ruger don't look that bad. The other two will be fun to clean up. That bolt action, looks like it is very similar to one of the rifles we were issued for 4-H small bore team, years ago. The one we were issued was a Mossberg, if I remember correctly. Most of the rifle we were issued were Winchesters, but there was one, that I think was a Mossberg.

Not sure what the middle rifle is, I just saw one posted somewhere recently, but don't remember where and what the rifle is. I am sure the Mossberg is not worth a lot, I would think the other rifle is not worth much either. I I would probably pick a method and get them cleaned up. Then decide what to do about a finish, either reblue them with the pitting or maybe do a little touch up and Cerakote them.

Comment

I hate when I find guns that have been left in gun cases for years, some times and places, it only takes months to make them look very bad, when left in a gun case. A buddy of mine, just inherited some older guns, some of them were left in old fleece lined soft cases. They had been in Hawaii, like that. Those guns were or are rusted up pretty badly.

Comment

pull them out of the stocks and start to work with pb blaster,,,, you can also use a copper penny to help get some of it off, 0000 steel wool and more pb blaster, don't forget the insides, probably going to need a good barrel cleaning also

Comment

I’ll send you $100 for the set plus shipping and you won’t have to worry about it at all!! Feel free to PM me if you would consider it. I got a boy that would be pumped doing it.

Comment

I left a 22 behind the seat of a truck at our fish camp at the coast, rusted up fierce. I sanded it all down and duracoated it. It turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                      pull them out of the stocks and start to work with pb blaster,,,, you can also use a copper penny to help get some of it off, 0000 steel wool and more pb blaster, don't forget the insides, probably going to need a good barrel cleaning also
                      Make sure you get a pre 1982 penny. Anything newer is not all copper.

Comment

I sand blasted one before. Removed the stock and trigger etc. but inside the barrel is the tough part.

Comment

Go at it with 0000 steel wool and oil. For the bore hook a rod up with a brush on a drill and some oil. Liberal amounts of oil especially in the bore. If it turns out they’re well pitted you may see about Cerakote, they’ll be blasted and painted. Would likely be more expensive than they’re worth so give steel wool and oil a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

0000 steel wool and oil is what I have always used.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                              0000 steel wool and oil is what I have always used.
                              This will work. Then have them re-blued.

Comment

Working...
                              X