No announcement yet.

One in the chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah so you don’t truly believe a gun is more valuable at home than on an empty chamber in your pocket, it’s just a training tactic for the uneducated. Understood and I can respect that.

Comment

Did a training class one time and the instructor said , “ thinking you have enough time to chamber a round when you need to in a stressful situation is like thinking you have time to put your seatbelt on when you get in an accident”

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
        Great discussion, fellas, thanks.
        Just curious, anyone here actually had to pull the gun out of the holster?
        If so, please step through the sequence. Round chambered (hot) or not?
        Time to chamber a round (empty) or not?
        At 10 yards a guy with a knife in his hand that wants to put it in you will close the gap and do so before you have time to unholster and chamber a round. The fed trains LE to pull the trigger inside of 10 because even with one in the chamber he will close the gap and have you before you could unholster and pull the trigger. That is DOJ/DHS statistics and training.

A criminal with a firearm committing a crime will already be at the ready. You are already behind with one in the chamber. The best you can hope for is the element of surprise. If you have to draw and load you have given up your only advantage and will statistically lose that battle.

Comment

Originally posted by MD2TX View Post
          Did a training class one time and the instructor said , “ thinking you have enough time to chamber a round when you need to in a stressful situation is like thinking you have time to put your seatbelt on when you get in an accident”
          Exactly, but unfortunately It's beyond explanation to some even using crayons...folks like twinkle-toes are out of reach. You just gotta hope to touch those interested in using logic.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            ...everyone's an expert here, from YouTube videos.
            US Army and FLETC personally. Finest schools in the biz

I have trained for every possible and conceivable scenario. Many with me unarmed or the suspect already having his hands in my weapon and on top of me. You think of the scenario and they train for it. Luckily in the field I have only had to be at the ready a handful of times.

Now for the record I dont care how someone else wants to carry as long as they understand they probably wont be in a position to use it except for an active shooter where the perp has too many hands to watch. I never had a team leader or led a team where unchambered firearms were tolerated but of course that is more on the offensive side of things. You do what’s comfortable for you.
            Last edited by Ætheling; 07-11-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post

I have trained for every possible and conceivable scenario. Many with me unarmed or the suspect already having his hands in my weapon and on top of me. You think of the scenario and they train for it. Luckily in the field I have only had to be at the ready a handful of times.

Now for the record I dont care how someone else wants to carry as long as they understand they probably wont be in a position to use it except for an active shooter where the perp has too many hands to watch.
              I'm sure twizzler can provide numerous YT vids showing the excellent techniques & adamant use of the un-chambered auto & how it's currently being touted by all areas of LE & SO along with the most prestigious self defense classes as the preferred & primary type of conceal carry option available for the public to consider.

Ya know...coming from the cisco kid like speed hands of the un-chambered rack'm & stack'm 'expert'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post

Now for the record I dont care how someone else wants to carry as long as they understand they probably wont be in a position to use it except for an active shooter where the perp has too many hands to watch. I never had a team leader or led a team where unchambered firearms were tolerated.
                Close friend is long time career LE and we had been discussing scenarios due to people who think there will be time to chamber a round. He was SWAT and found himself in a situation where a life had to be taken.

A judge friend of mine felt his life was in imminent danger and took immediate steps to prepare for what he sensed was coming. Had he not been 100% ready when it showed up, he wouldn’t have lived another day. The threat showed up where he’d least expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  Secure storage, good training of the kid, out of reach if possible.

We have 3 chambered pistols (with full mags) in the house, one in my vehicle, and a 20ga with home defense rounds that also has one in the chamber. The shotgun is up out of reach, two of the house pistols are RFID secured in a location our kid knows nothing about, and the third house pistol is hidden so well I think it would take a metal detector to find if you didn’t already know the location.

Add to all of that, we taught him that EVERY gun is loaded no matter what, no touching unless my wife or I have unloaded them… and that he can look at all the firearms any time he wants, all he has to do is ask. The last part seemed to be the biggest help. Having the ability to hold them or look at them whenever he wanted really gets rid of the allure of looking for them when someone isn’t around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  this is how my kids were raised, being a police office i always had a loaded gun, the only ones unloaded were in the safe,,, by the age of 4 both of mine understood how to handle a gun, and when they asked we always took time to look and handle them,,,,, it always started with them either checking it or telling me how to check it to be sure it was unloaded.... curiosity was never an issue

Comment

I’m older now and don’t have any “crumb snatchers” at home but even when my kids were small there were always guns in the house and all of them survived. One is a member on here and will fill you in on what would have happened had I caught them even close to a gun.
                    A gun that’s not “hot” is as useless as teets on a boar hog if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Most often I do not have one in the chamber.

I carry an LCP in my pocket concealed when I carry. I look at it like this. Every time I sit down my gun points across the table at a family member. I never point a hot one at anything I don’t intend to shoot. So I keep the chamber clear.

Most situations I believe will happen so fast that hot or not you won’t have time to effectively respond. I maintain a high level of situational awareness and we keep the chambers empty unless we plan on shooting something.

My brother has had his door breached twice and he had enough time to safely grab his 45 loudly chamber it and give the bad guy a reason to turn around. Both times he would have accidentally killed a kid if he hadn’t taken taken the measured approach he took.

I will chamber it situationally based on where we are and what I see around me. But I have no intention of getting into a shootout with anyone. I’m a huge target and I’m slow as hell. I keep a spring assist knife that will split frog hairs that would like be more effective in close quarters combat if it came to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mauler View Post
                        Most often I do not have one in the chamber.

I carry an LCP in my pocket concealed when I carry. I look at it like this. Every time I sit down my gun points across the table at a family member. I never point a hot one at anything I don’t intend to shoot. So I keep the chamber clear.
                        I appendix carry. My G48 is pointed at my junk 16+ hours a day. I guarantee you I do intend to shoot my junk.

Comment

One in the chamber

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          I guarantee you I do intend to shoot my junk.

I sure hope you meant don’t. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                            I sure hope you meant don’t. [emoji16]

Haha yes I meant I DONT intend to shoot my junk.

Comment

However you carry or your plan to defend yourself, your body wont go where your mind hasn't been.

Stay trained up my friends

Comment

well i guess i'll throw my 2c in ... as a matter of fact i just did a couple of video reviews this weekend, on a 1911 9mm and a hellcat . i've never seen this done on youtube before, this is just something i've come up with myself for my personal satisfaction and it just makes sense to me ... so here it goes ... i have more pistols and 9mm than i care to share , but one thing I do as a test on all my carry guns is load a hollow point on a full "pressure mag" into the gun slowly!!! why slowly ? because if it chambers slowly, it will chamber fast. and any round that doesn't go right in has to go in via friction, resistance and slows down the slide ... many people shoot fmj's , but don't bother shooting their carry ammo HP ammo to see if they run flawless or not.... so now getting to the point of carrying chamber empty ... someone is trying to kill you ... you or your wife grabs your firearm and tries to rack it ... and due to stress, short stroke or whatever else reason .. the gun jams ... no do overs! you're dead ... if one round is already chambered , you have at least one chance to stop the threat!... so i do my test on all my carry guns .. and some of them don't pass the test, and i don't carry those to protect my life ... with that said here are a couple of videos I did, one with the 1911 , the other with the hellcat ... the hellcat passed, the 1911 didn't with hollow points but worked flawless with FMJ ... this is my opinion, i'm sure some of you won't agree, or talk smack saying it's stupid .. i do me, you do you!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQCwRiT17M&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Rock Island Armory 9mm Review - YouTube[/ame]
                                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgnV1YC2pE&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Springfield Armory Hellcat first shot review - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X