South Fork, CO tent camping recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Fork, CO tent camping recommendations

Any recommendations on nice tent camping spots in the area? Not looking for seclusion, will have wife & 2 girls with me, first tent trip for all of them. Vault toilets and no showers will be a stretch with them. Just hoping for a good intro to tent camping and we can go from there

We hunted north of town. We back tracked toward DelNorte and took a good gravel road north. When I get to work tomorrow I’ll send you good directions if you like. Also, good spots at the pass between Creed and Lake City with a few trout lakes

Comment

I know of some great spots south of town. But they're all dispersed camping in the NF, so no toilets/showers/amenities. Let me know and ill send you some maps

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
        I know of some great spots south of town. But they're all dispersed camping in the NF, so no toilets/showers/amenities. Let me know and ill send you some maps
        If it were just me and the boy, that would be perfect, but with momma and girls coming need something with more amenities. May end up booking one of the few tent spots at Fun Valley

Comment

Check out Beaver Creek camp ground. Just a couple miles outside of South Fork on the way up the pass.

Comment

Big Meadows Lake is up toward wolf Creek pass. you got the lake thing there and near the highway for a quick run to town if they want. It will be good a chilly up there too. probably meet other great folks doing family camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              If it were just me and the boy, that would be perfect, but with momma and girls coming need something with more amenities. May end up booking one of the few tent spots at Fun Valley
              Fun Valley is probably your best bet for introducing the women to tent camping if young girls are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Fun Valley is probably your best bet for introducing the women to tent camping if young girls are involved.
                This right here. My folks took us there every year growing up. I learned to fly fish on the branch of the rio grande that runs through it.

Comment

Third for Fun Valley

Comment

I cant imagine going up to Colorado and staying in Fun Valley. Your neighbors there will be closer than any neighbors you have in town.

There are a few sites with restrooms on the road around Beaver Creek Reservoir. Look under South Fork on this link.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/rio...28882&actid=29

Comment

Fun Valley has some tent spots that are outside of the sardine can sections.

They might be primitive lacking electricity and/or water.

Best to call ahead and get a reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                        I cant imagine going up to Colorado and staying in Fun Valley. Your neighbors there will be closer than any neighbors you have in town.

There are a few sites with restrooms on the road around Beaver Creek Reservoir. Look under South Fork on this link.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/rio...28882&actid=29
                        I don’t disagree, but I’m trying to make their 1st trip as civilized as I can. The bathroom isn’t so much the issue, momma is going to want a shower for her and the girls.

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                        Fun Valley has some tent spots that are outside of the sardine can sections.

They might be primitive lacking electricity and/or water.

Best to call ahead and get a reservation.
                        Yep, no electricity, but it’s right by the shower facilities. Electricity we can do without, but a proper bathroom and shower is going to be wanted.

Comment

Fun Valley is great, we just got back from there.....would be a great in-between starter camping trip....lots of cool stuff to do.

We saw several lakes/camping spots driving around up there while we were there....also a couple other "rv parks" right there close that may offer tent camping.

Comment

Working...
                          X