2021 Handgun Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well another great morning. Weather is plum nasty here
    which is actually my favorite time to hunt.

Just as I was packing up to head back to camp for a greasy breakfast, about 20 turkeys walked right by my blind. I stopped them at about 40 yards and make a good shot on this young Tom.

I’ve experimented a lot with wild turkeys and I think my favorite way to cook them is in a hot skillet and a few tablespoons of real butter. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic only. Give them a good seer, and then cut into strips. After that I take these strips and make quesadillas out of them.

Happy Saturday everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice shooting Randy!

Comment

Congratulations Randy, that’s worth a delay of a good greasy breakfast. Nice 40 yard shot too.

Comment

Took this fine doe late this morning. She stayed around just a little too long. One shot from my FA 97/41 magnum at roughly 50 yards was all it took. She ran about 40ish yards and I saw her fall. The shot was a little higher than I was looking but still good enough for a solid double lung pass through. I also switched up my load to try a different bullet. Same H110 powder charge but this is a 210 xtp. Clocked it yesterday at just a hair over 1400 fps.

Comment

FA has made some awesome stuff over the years. And .41 Mag is my fav straight wall handgun cartridge. What I took my first deer/buck with in a T/C. Congrats on a great season so far this year, Randy! 1400 fps is great out of that wheel gun. Right where I'd expect it to be with a 210gr.

Comment

Black beauty!

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
              Gonna jump onto the handgun hunting train this season. Just picked this S&W 629 Performance Center yesterday.
              Me like!

Comment

Broke into the pistol game this year with the sow at 60yds.
                Pistol: Magnum Research 30-30
                Glass: Leupold 2x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JRG_80 View Post
                  Broke into the pistol game this year with the sow at 60yds.
                  Pistol: Magnum Research 30-30
                  Glass: Leupold 2x

Nicely done and congrats! Hopefully first of many more to come. Btw, I too am located in NB.

Comment

Got my first handgun deer kill this weekend! Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. Shot was 20 yards using 140 grain Barnes Vortex. Full pass through! Broke leg on entrance and hit heart and lungs with about a quarter size exit hole. Went about 30 yards and dropped in sight! Only problem was no blood trail, so it was good I saw her go down. Might have a new addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
                      Got my first handgun deer kill this weekend! Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. Shot was 20 yards using 140 grain Barnes Vortex. Full pass through! Broke leg on entrance and hit heart and lungs with about a quarter size exit hole. Went about 30 yards and dropped in sight! Only problem was no blood trail, so it was good I saw her go down. Might have a new addiction!
                      Well done Jared! Congrats on your first. Any chance you have a picture?
                      Last edited by Randy M; 12-05-2021, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                        Wells done Jared! Congrats on your first. Any chance you have a picture?
                        Thanks Randy! Unfortunately, no picture. Got dark on me, then I forgot once I got back to camp. Guess I need to do it again

Comment

Nicely done and congrats! Hopefully first of many more to come. Btw, I too am located in NB.

Thank you sir.
                          Good to know you’re local, from your resume I’m seeing on this post alone I know I won’t have to travel far to get some further education regarding the pistol game!

jrg

Comment

Had a great morning in the field. I’ve seen this buck several times but he kept eluding me the past few weeks. This past week between trips to the lease he was on my brain constantly. Now, we have better deer out here but I loved the character on his rack. And there’s a lot more around his bases that are hard to see. Well, this morning he got lax and I sent a 210 grain xtp his way from about 50 yards. His reaction at the impact told it all…much acrobatics and a labored run of about 60 yards. Gun is an FA 97 in 41 magnum. That was my final deer tag for this season. But there’s still hogs, turkeys, and always potential for an exotic.

Comment

Had a great morning in the field. I’ve seen this buck several times but he kept eluding me the past few weeks. This past week between trips to the lease he was on my brain constantly. Now, we have better deer out here but I loved the character on his rack. And there’s a lot more around his bases that are hard to see. Well, this morning he got lax and I sent a 210 grain xtp his way from about 50 yards. His reaction at the impact told it all…much acrobatics and a labored run of about 60 yards. Gun is an FA 97 in 41 magnum. That was my final deer tag for this season. But there’s still hogs, turkeys, and always potential for an exotic.

[emoji106][emoji106] Well done sir!

jrg

Comment

Nice looking buck there Randy. Nice shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X