Bow Site (Tinkering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Site (Tinkering)

I'm caught up on my tab building (for now), so with all the talk lately about bow sites on trad bows,
    I thought I would play around this morning, build something simple, and make it quick detach.

Yeah, I like to tinker. It's an affliction, but it's one that brings me lots of satisfaction.

This is what I came up with:

Made entirely from laser cut kydex.

It is two piece. The eye piece, and the bracket.

The bracket was cut with a slot to receive (snugly), the squared side (top right) of the eye piece.

The eye piece was painted orange on the viewing side, then inserted into the slot of the bracket, glued in place then plasti welded with a hot iron for insurance in structural integrity.

For now, the windage is in a fixed position, that was measured precisely for the tune of the bow, but later on I will be figuring out a way to make it easily adjustable.

The elevation is adjusted simply by sliding the bracket up/down behind the peel & stick velcro strike plate, and it stays put after being moved.

I was a little concerned, that I might get fletching contact, but there is none, except when shooting flu-flu's, and that is so slight, that it's no problem.

I shot with it just enough this morning to make sure the windage alignment was right, and it is spot on.

I'll shoot it more later, and adjust the elevation (shoots a little high right now), and post a follow up once I have it like I want it.

I call it - "Eye Of The Tiger"

Rick
    Attached Files

I don't hate it. I played around with taping a match stick to my bow a year or two ago. I liked it well enough that used an old school sight pin (the threaded kind for windage adjustment) to make a fully adjustable sight pin that just taped to the sight window. I shot very very well with it all the way up until it started giving me target panic. I eventually abandoned it. Something about being under more load won't let me hold that pin on the target. No issues with the compound.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
      I don't hate it. I played around with taping a match stick to my bow a year or two ago. I liked it well enough that used an old school sight pin (the threaded kind for windage adjustment) to make a fully adjustable sight pin that just taped to the sight window. I shot very very well with it all the way up until it started giving me target panic. I eventually abandoned it. Something about being under more load won't let me hold that pin on the target. No issues with the compound.
      That's interesting

Comment

I’m interested in this!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've got the final design done up in a prototype, and it works very well.

Still need to do a little tweaking on the graphics for the laser cutter, and I made the vertical bracket to short (I'll fix that later), so I had to use a piece of gorilla tape to stabilize it at the top.

It's pretty much the same, except for:

(1) The horizontal bracket is slotted for screws.

(2) I made the aperture a little larger, independent of the horizontal bracket, and it has holes for screws, so it can be bolted to the horizontal bracket, which gives windage adjustment.

(3) I painted the face white instead of orange. It's not as purdy, but you can sure see it real well in low light.

Shot several 25, 20, 15, and 10 yard mixed groups with it. The black horizontal line is dead on from 25 to 15, and I only had to hold it slightly low for 10.

I really don't like using a site, but I like this quite a lot. It'll be a great training exercise tool.

Rick
          Attached Files

Comment

Finished Product:

Aperture size:

O.D. - 1.25" height X 0.75" wide

I.D. - 1" height X 0.50" wide (not counting the cross slots).

```````````````````
            Bracket:

All one piece.

The angle bracket is designed to be mounted in the site widow, if there is enough height on the riser to allow it, and the length of the bracket can be cut off to accommodate your specific needs if necessary.

The flat bracket is designed to be mounted on either the belly, or the back of the riser.

Length - 4" over all, with 3.625" of connection length.

Double bolt aperture mount.

Aperture mount area - 1.25" long, with 1.0625" of windage adjustment.

Elevation is adjusted by the height of the mount.

```````````````````
            Designed to be tape mounted (double sided, or strap), or stuck in behind the strike plate material if site window mounted. It is completely universal for left, or right hand.

Rick
            Attached Files

Comment

Since all my other stuff makes reference to the death adder snake, I've decided to call this the: "Death Adder Snake Eye"

See the resemblance?

Rick
              Attached Files

Comment

I had to make one more change, but now I've got it for sure.

Aperture now has 5/16" of elevation adjustment.

You still need to get the sight mounted fairly close for the elevation you want, but you can now micro tune it.

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool setup MrRick.

Comment

Still have to have your eye over the arrow for this correct? Just takes the focus off the arrow point, allows you to put the sight set on target and forget the hold under or . . .

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Still have to have your eye over the arrow for this correct? Just takes the focus off the arrow point, allows you to put the sight set on target and forget the hold under or . . .
                      I'm gonna say yes (maybe), because you should draw, anchor, and loose as you've always done.

However, once you get it sighted in, you may, or may not be looking over the arrow exactly the same.

You sight in your preferred elevation distance at the cross bars, and set windage so your target is at center left/right in the eye.

Once you've done that it's just a matter of holding the bars higher for longer shots, and lower for closer shots.

Example: My cross bars are set for 15 yards, but still work for 20. I have to hold the bars a tad higher for 25, they are still dead on at 10, and I have to hold them just a tad low for 5.

Rick

Comment

Bump for a curious archer.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never tried to shoot with a sight, but in case it might help me shoot better, I would give it a try.

Comment

Very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                            X