Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #801
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
I did a quick search and I think that fish is a weakfish, not a speckled trout. You can tell by the elongated soots, not as round as a trout’s spots.

For real? First for me. Whatever it is it’s gonna eat good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #802
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
Some of the trout I caught in Florida were like that, very olive colored. I figured it was from the real tanin stained waters they live in. The trout I caught over there in areas with clearer water and grass flats were more silver. But their spots still looked different from our fish, bigger and more of them.

If you really get use to looking at trout you can see differences in how they look in Texas from bay to bay.
Yup, the tanin (backwaters) do that in Florida as well as upper reaches in Louisiana - DuLarge area. Bass, redfish are the same as well.....out of mix and into specks, they darken along that Gulf salt and Backwater mix zone too. Currituck and Pamlico sounds in North Carolina, same thing. Those late summer specks, feeding on softshell crab & stuff we don't typically see them eat here. They get olive in those tanin rivers that drain through the Great Dismal Swamp and similar zones there. I fished and lived here and covered Hatteras and Ocracoke and the lower Chesapeake Bay for about 6 years in my past as well.

I fished Flamingo Florida and the Upper Keys when I lived and worked there years ago. The difference between Upper Key specks and backwater - glades specks, they had a different coloration as well. Spots and size same - olive colorations on the backwater fish.

If you ever get a chance to fish Flamingo - it truly is an experience anyone in Texas would greatly appreciate. Especially the flats and skinny water anglers of us here.

We have GULF TROUT - which are smaller and not sandtrout. Silvery and shiny and very different than a sandtrout and or speck. I caught a lot of them around the North Jetty area of Galveston - surf zone in the first three cuts, when I fished that area literally everyday as a kid.

Mullet in those tanin zones - olive as well. Darker lures - with olive stains are the lures of choice.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-03-2021 at 02:35 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 04:02 PM   #803
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Has to be the water. This is a Florida trout also

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #804
Walker
Ten Point

Heading to landcut at 9 mile hole area tomorrow for 4 days. Will give a report when I get bavk.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #805
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
I did a quick search and I think that fish is a weakfish, not a speckled trout. You can tell by the elongated soots, not as round as a trout’s spots.
I always have been under the assumption that a speckled trout and a spotted weakfish are one and the same. Cynoscion nebulosus
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #806
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties
Default 2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

Quote:
I always have been under the assumption that a speckled trout and a spotted weakfish are one and the same. Cynoscion nebulosus

I’ve caught both. I worked for a couple years on the NE coast, definitely different fish. Weakfish is like a giant sand trout with croaker like markings, yellow fins, and live in different water than speckled trout. They like deep water, you catch them on metal jigs, smaller ones can be caught in the bays. They have them in Florida but you wouldn’t catch one wading. They tend to stay offshore.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 08-03-2021 at 05:05 PM.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #807
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
We have GULF TROUT - which are smaller and not sandtrout. Silvery and shiny and very different than a sandtrout and or speck. I caught a lot of them around the North Jetty area of Galveston - surf zone in the first three cuts, when I fished that area literally everyday as a kid.
I catch loads of gulf trout. Every year. I love when they show up in the bay. They will be mixed with specks and are bonus fish for us. Eager to eat, pull good and they are good eating.

We always have sand trout but the gulf trout come and go.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #808
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
I’ve caught both. I worked for a couple years on the NE coast, definitely different fish. Weakfish is like a giant sand trout with croaker like markings, yellow fins, and live in different water than speckled trout. They like deep water, you catch them on metal jigs, smaller ones can be caught in the bays. They have them in Florida but you wouldn’t catch one wading. They tend to stay offshore.

That is a weakfish, not a spotted weakfish. Cynoscion regalis
Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #809
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are correct. Spotted weakfish is a speckled trout as we call it.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #810
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

My bucket list fish is a big weakfish. I tried hard while was there and never broke a 20” fish. They get as big or bigger than our speckled trout. I want one in the worst kind of way.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #811
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post

WEAKFISH or GRAY TROUT

I caught them in Chincoteague Virginia - TIDE RUNNERS is their nickname up there, and out of Crisfield Maryland in the Chesapeake Bay.

The surf side, I used chrome with and red bucktails, stripped with a slice of squid, bottom bouncing for flounder as my primary, mixing things up on drifts following edges and structure where weakfish held in deeper currents and eddies - that swing around barrier island tidal flow zones. They are very tough to target, and they prefer moving water with a lot more depth than speckled trout.

When the white, long curly tail, MR TWISTERS first hit the market, and red leadheads were just starting to become the replacement to the old standby SPECK RIG jigs, so many threw before 1980. Mr Twister 6" tails didn't make it to Hatteras and or Virginia till 1985 or so. The east coast standard is the classic bone white / red trim bucktail jig. And I hated them, and moved into Mr Twister tails and our style of red leadheads, chasing primarily FLUKE. WEAKFISH LOVED THEM and i tore a few decent weakies up using them, since no one around Chincoteague Island down to Cape Charles - had any clue - how to use them and or even any knowledge of them on the market. A lot of those old East Coast surf anglers were traditionalists to points, it handicapped them with new techniques and or methods.

On the Chesapeake Bay side, I caught them fishing 70 - 100 ft down, right out of Crisfield Maryland and the DRUM HOLE area, bottom fishing peeler crabs for black and red drum (redfish). They would pick up the occasional crab setup for drum during June there - the month everything swims back into the Chesapeake Bay for Summer.

My ex Brother In Laws are commercial fishermen on Chincoteague Island Virginia. Back in 1983 up to 1987, I took vacations and ran offshore for extra money with them. We ran gill net highline and lowline rigs - all legal back then - and schools of migrating weakfish would hit the nets at night, checking in 30 - 60ft of water just outside Assateague, Chincoteague and Wallops Island inlet.

Weakfish and Striped Bass - ran at the same time during the springs and falls. The big bluefish would bring up the rear, nothing swimming, wants to be near a massive school of migrating bluefish. They feed like piranhas when they hit a bait feeding frenzy and anything that shines or moves, will get chomped with those nasty teeth.

The largest weakfish I've held, gill net variety and shows the size potential of this species - 22 lbs.

The world record, all tackle Weakfish was caught in Virginia and it went 19lbs.

So I've held fish bigger but, they were netted.

I've caught them as I fished for other species - using baits that fit their profile in the hope I could find a pattern. They scatter badly and are tougher to target than speckled trout because they move with the tides and migrate hundreds of miles - speckled trout do not do this at their level.

Flounder along the Virginia and Eastern Shore barrier islands - I've seen them 14 lbs and up there, they are called DOOR MATS. My largest flatty went 10.5 lbs.

I fished for flounder up there like I was on fire - they go HUGE above HATTERAS.

The darn world record was up there nearby in NJ - went 22 lbs.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-03-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #812
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Quote:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/di...ion-nebulosus/

According to this website they’re not even trout!!! They’re part of the drum family…whatever, I like catching them and they’re tasty as well.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #813
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Quote:
Are you a wildlife biologist? Serious question.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #814
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/di...ion-nebulosus/

According to this website they’re not even trout!!! They’re part of the drum family…whatever, I like catching them and they’re tasty as well.
No, they are not trout. Black drum, red drum, croaker, speckled trout, sand trout, gulf trout, weakfish, corvina, etc are all part of the croaker family.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #815
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
No but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express one time.

Just a life long student of our fish and fishery.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:11 PM   #816
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Back to the green colored trout, I catch a few really dark, olive colored trout around here sometimes too but they are generally smaller trout, under 14" or so and they are generally in back lakes north of the ICW where the water is brackish and tanic. Sometimes the trout I have caught out of other back lakes way in the back country but more salty are also darker looking fish but not necessarily as olive colored. Just darker. And the trout we catch out in the middle of the bay, especially bigger ones over 25", are often very light colored and often have very few spots at all. I guess shallow water with lots of light transmission vs tanic water vs deep sandy water all have an impact on what a speckled trout looks like.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #817
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
That would be an insult 😂
Leemo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #818
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Does anyone ever do any good at Galveston state park?
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 07:06 PM   #819
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Man I'm tired

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #820
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Man I'm tired

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
lmao! I'm on page 3,348 of Moby ****.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #821
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Glen in the early fall on the big bull tides I fish way up in cow pastures practically, the small trout up there chasing the shrimp in very fresh dirty water are very dark colored like you say. Those little guys get way inland that time of year after the spawning season.
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #822
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Even in death Ahab beckons.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #823
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nicholls View Post
Glen in the early fall on the big bull tides I fish way up in cow pastures practically, the small trout up there chasing the shrimp in very fresh dirty water are very dark colored like you say. Those little guys get way inland that time of year after the spawning season.
Exactly. Way in the back. I see lots of like 10-12" trout in those areas. I guess it's the nursery with all the little shrimp and shad in those back lakes for the baby trout to eat.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #824
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Well my fishin buddy has sold his place in Sargent. I'm going to do my best to get down there this weekend, we're planning on going out one more time. It's been a tough few months, I'm ready to go bother some fish.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #825
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Sometimes I wish there was a swipe left here

Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #826
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Sometimes I wish there was a swipe left here
Wait is that the "I'm interested in him" direction?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #827
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Attached Images

justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #828
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Wait is that the "I'm interested in him" direction?
I honestly have no idea. However, this is the second time you've made a homophobic post towards me. I'm beginning to wonder about a dood that refers to himself as 'Man'

Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #829
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I honestly have no idea. However, this is the second time you've made a homophobic post towards me. I'm beginning to wonder about a dood that refers to himself as 'Man'
Sorry Quacker.. I didn't realize I had made a previous comment. No ill intent on this one as well. Guess I was just trying to insert some humor into the thread just like yall do. But seems mine are not coming out as humorous. 10-4.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #830
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Sorry Quacker.. I didn't realize I had made a previous comment. No ill intent on this one as well. Guess I was just trying to insert some humor into the thread just like yall do. But seems mine are not coming out as humorous. 10-4.
I think Quacker may be into you….you read it wrong.
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #831
justletmein
Pope & Young

Sorry I'm bored today and killing time, gotta reply to literally everything on TBH.

Quote:
That's strike 2 buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
LOL
Old 08-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #832
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Pump the brakes Abercrombie. I'll tell Brad...

Old 08-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #833
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackerbox View Post
pump the brakes abercrombie. I'll tell brad...

Sent from my sm-g970u using tapatalk
lmao!!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #834
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
No worries. If it was the other way I can assure you I wasn't gonna loose sleep over it

Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #835
Jerryg
Ten Point

Is it Friday yet? I’m ready for the weekend and it looks like good weather at Rockport!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #836
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryg View Post
Is it Friday yet? I’m ready for the weekend and it looks like good weather at Rockport!
I think we're gonna head to camp Friday, it's looking like it could be a nice weekend. I'm ready to GTFO of the city.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #837
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County
Default 2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread Part II

[quote=justletmein;15736992]I think we're gonna head to camp Friday, it's looking like it could be a nice weekend. I'm ready to GTFO of the city.[/
gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 09:47 PM   #838
gigem95
Ten Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #839
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem95 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Never mind. Nothing to see here.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #840
justletmein
Pope & Young

lmao go home gigem you're drunk.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #841
gigem95
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
lmao go home gigem you're drunk.

Sure seems like it! Just tired
And bad eyes. ****it!!

Old 08-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #842
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Just cancelled my 2nd fishing trip in 6 weeks because of work. ****** me off, had this one booked since January as it is my bday. I have fished August 13th 5 years running with Capt Nathan Gray out of Galveston and it just isn’t in the cards this year. If anyone is looking for a short notice Friday trip next week give him a call, he’s open now.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #843
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
Just cancelled my 2nd fishing trip in 6 weeks because of work. ****** me off, had this one booked since January as it is my bday. I have fished August 13th 5 years running with Capt Nathan Gray out of Galveston and it just isn’t in the cards this year. If anyone is looking for a short notice Friday trip next week give him a call, he’s open now.

I would quit.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #844
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:

Dangitman! Priorities can be a real ***** sometimes!! Oh well, happy birthday anyhoo!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #845
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

That has been my entire 2021. Happy birthday and you’ll get em next time.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #846
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I would quit.

Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #847
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

My buddy and I went out on his boat here in the Rockport area and had a crazy morning catching trout! Trout everywhere, dolphins trying to take them from us. Just a nutso day.

Check out the video. I'm not sure it does justice to the insanity, but it gives you a good idea of what we faced:

Enjoy!
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #848
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Gigged a few last night.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #849
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Quote:
My buddy and I went out on his boat here in the Rockport area and had a crazy morning catching trout! Trout everywhere, dolphins trying to take them from us. Just a nutso day.
Couple years ago, I got into a 78 trout caught and released pattern, on one stop out in front of Aransas Pass and Conn Brown area. Momma with calf - and it got to points, each trout caught, I had to distract her and calf on one side of the boat to release them on the other side. Needless to say, out of all those trout released, I bet she and calf ate nearly half of them. She would toss a few in the air, near her Calf, so baby had a chance to make a kill for dinner. They are so darn efficient - and alone, you can't keep up with their demands when the fishing action is on fire. So a lot of releases ended up dinner.

I managed to weasel my flats boat up on the flats high enough, she couldn't get on top of me and I could release them in skinny water - if they went deep BAM

From that day forward thru that summer - she and calf would find me - they figured out my boats profile and acoustics and I could run a channel area, they lived in, and here they would leap frog across the distance to me, and follow me literally for several miles, as I worked their zone.

They did this for months to points, I had to run over behind St Joe Island to get a break from them.

It was super cool but over at St Joe island, I encountered a very mature bull porpoise, who not only begged at my boat for specks, he slid his head up and rested it like a **** SeaWorld actor, with enough weight, he would rock my skiff. And he was slick with how he did it, he would come up from my backside and I'd feel the boat (drifting) move. Look over and his big arse head is right there staring right at me with that big grin.

Yeah he was a complete BOAT HO!

There's some very tame porpoise around that area from the Dolphin Watch fleets.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 08-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #850
justletmein
Pope & Young

^peeps be feeding them on purpose when they're conditioned like that.