No announcement yet.

Anyone else like ALDI grocery stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 31 years experience in the Supermarket business @ a real full service grocery store and I have mixed emotions about ALDI`s. It is a grocery store of sorts but no where near a real supermarket. It is designed to be operated with minimal employees with minimal skills. You cannot even call their store to ask them anything. How`s that for customer service. We have one that opened up in Stephenville about 6 months ago. I have been in it a few times and it certainly gives people another option although it is limited. The Keto bread we bought when they first open is never in stock, so we quit going. The parking lot at our is always empty, but I hope they do well enough to stay open. Walmart needs more competition.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
      I have 31 years experience in the Supermarket business @ a real full service grocery store and I have mixed emotions about ALDI`s. It is a grocery store of sorts but no where near a real supermarket. It is designed to be operated with minimal employees with minimal skills. You cannot even call their store to ask them anything. How`s that for customer service. We have one that opened up in Stephenville about 6 months ago. I have been in it a few times and it certainly gives people another option although it is limited. The Keto bread we bought when they first open is never in stock, so we quit going. The parking lot at our is always empty, but I hope they do well enough to stay open. Walmart needs more competition.
      I could say the same about HEB’s model.

It definitely is not the same as the of the supermarkets of the past. Their SKU selection is a percentage of the traditional majors, which in turn, allowed them to leverage their buying power. They also leveraged their own generic offering/branding over brand name as well as soon as they found something that was an inventory turner.

That being said, as I stated, Aldi, is not the end all be all, but I don't think they intend to be. They do have a much higher quality meat selection as one example. Their meats are not the cheapest, but are Grade A Prime and in most instances, never frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        I could say the same about HEB’s model.

It definitely is not the same as the of the supermarkets of the past. Their SKU selection is a percentage of the traditional majors, which in turn, allowed them to leverage their buying power. They also leveraged their own generic offering/branding over brand name as well as soon as they found something that was an inventory turner.

That being said, as I stated, Aldi, is not the end all be all, but I don't think they intend to be. They do have a much higher quality meat selection as one example. Their meats are not the cheapest, but are Grade A Prime and in most instances, never frozen.

I’ll have to go see their selection of meat. H‑E‑B and Costco are currently my go to for meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

HEB is rated #1 chain in the country. Prices, customer satisfaction and own brands. I pretty much only buy HEB stuff and save 30-40% over name brands at HEB. Those name brands at Kroger or Brookshire Brothers are even more expensive.

Oh yeah, Texas company with far more products made in Texas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
            HEB is rated #1 chain in the country.

That is a pretty big claim, seeing they aren’t in all Texas cities yet. I would love to see the data that supports the claim.

Comment

Aldi is all over the Midwest.

Here in Iowa we shop at:

Aldi
              Highway 2 Grocery (Amish owned and operated)
              Hy-Vee (the big supermarket chain in Iowa)

With sales of $10 billion annually, Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Its more than 265 stores are located in eight Midwestern states: Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                That is a pretty big claim, seeing they aren’t in all Texas cities yet. I would love to see the data that supports the claim.
                I’d like to see the data and credentials on that claim to.

Comment

Google it.

Let me guess...y'all prefer In n Out over Whataburger?

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 04-28-2021, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                    Aldi is all over the Midwest.

Here in Iowa we shop at:

Aldi
                    Highway 2 Grocery (Amish owned and operated)
                    Hy-Vee (the big supermarket chain in Iowa)

With sales of $10 billion annually, Hy-Vee ranks among the top 25 supermarket chains and the top 50 private companies in the United States. Its more than 265 stores are located in eight Midwestern states: Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                    For comparison HEB has 340 stores in Texas.

When recently driving through Iowa I saw an Omish dude in a horse drawn cart. That was pretty cool.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 04-28-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I like em. They’ve basically got the same stuff as the “brand name” stores, the packaging is just different. I’ve heard a lot of the product is made at the same factories as the name brand stuff, they just package it different.

Comment

ALDI

You aren't going to see the high maintenance Porsche and lifted Jeep girls at ALDI like you do HEB
                        Last edited by Bayouboy; 04-29-2021, 04:50 AM.

Comment

trashy junkone time i been

Comment

Went to a few ..a few years ago..Not Impressed..have not been back

Comment

Originally posted by cj_sandman View Post
                              I like em. They’ve basically got the same stuff as the “brand name” stores, the packaging is just different. I’ve heard a lot of the product is made at the same factories as the name brand stuff, they just package it different.

I can guarantee you, their bread is made on the same line as HEB, Kroger, whataburger, orowheat, mrs. bairds, etc. it all comes out of the same oven and mixer, just different packaging.

Y’all be sure and buy an extra loaf. Only 2 more years, and I can retire.

Comment

If you're picky it ain't for you. Definitely less variety, but the prices and products they do have are good. I go to the one near me when I don't want to fight the million people at Kroger. It requires me to do the unthinkable and bag my own groceries though, The horror!

Comment

Working...
                                X