No announcement yet.

20-21 Official Duck Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me preface this with post with the fact that this is 100% my fault and I should have seen this coming, but I didn't, so now I have to remedy the situation.....

Speaking of hearing protection, have any of you had dogs who got rung by a shot too close to them or over them? I had my dog in the boat blind and one guy (doesn't usually hunt with us) swung too far following a bird and it ended up ringing her bell pretty good (and mine as well). I was not hunting so he basically swung over where I would have been shooting and the angle/placement of the barrel and the direction of the report was no bueno with her on the front deck. It may be hard to picture if you haven't hunted a boat blind but the shooter was sitting in the bottom of the boat and she was on the deck so that put her closer to the shot and he basically shot over her from behind, the same way many dogs get shot over when they break but at a much closer distance. She lost her mind and went to the bottom of the boat and curled up. I took her to the vet and one eardrum was inflamed but both fully intact and no infections so whatever losses she has should be temporary per the vet. Its been 10 days and her hearing has slowly returned but I want to be careful introducing shooting back to her. I am sure she will be very cautious about it and don't want a gun shy dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
      Let me preface this with post with the fact that this is 100% my fault and I should have seen this coming, but I didn't, so now I have to remedy the situation.....

Speaking of hearing protection, have any of you had dogs who got rung by a shot too close to them or over them? I had my dog in the boat blind and one guy (doesn't usually hunt with us) swung too far following a bird and it ended up ringing her bell pretty good (and mine as well). I was not hunting so he basically swung over where I would have been shooting and the angle/placement of the barrel and the direction of the report was no bueno with her on the front deck. It may be hard to picture if you haven't hunted a boat blind but the shooter was sitting in the bottom of the boat and she was on the deck so that put her closer to the shot and he basically shot over her from behind, the same way many dogs get shot over when they break but at a much closer distance. She lost her mind and went to the bottom of the boat and curled up. I took her to the vet and one eardrum was inflamed but both fully intact and no infections so whatever losses she has should be temporary per the vet. Its been 10 days and her hearing has slowly returned but I want to be careful introducing shooting back to her. I am sure she will be very cautious about it and don't want a gun shy dog.
      Hope the pup makes a full recovery sir!

Comment

It has been slow in North zone(Texas)...anyone else have same or different experience?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
          Very nice.
          Those are amazing pics!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Congrats!
            Awesome pics!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
              Hope the pup makes a full recovery sir!
              Thanks. She is doing fine now it seems but I am going to slowly re-introduce gun shots to her. She had been hunted over before but not that much. I am sure this confused the heck out of her. I had her trained at Best Retrievers and spoke with them to get some pointers as well. They also said that they have had dogs get shot over and lose hearing temporarily and they just slowly re-intro things so that the dogs associate the shot with fun.

Comment

Originally posted by texaslammer View Post
                Congrats Pin Oak DXT, just curious did those mallards come out of a salt marsh? It looks like what I hunt here in south east texas and very very few greenheads in the saltmarsh that I hunt. Congrats again

It’s fresh water marsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                  It’s a duck farm where they let pen raised go and they stay in the area

Haha. Not where I was hunting.

Comment

Thanks. She is doing fine now it seems but I am going to slowly re-introduce gun shots to her. She had been hunted over before but not that much. I am sure this confused the heck out of her. I had her trained at Best Retrievers and spoke with them to get some pointers as well. They also said that they have had dogs get shot over and lose hearing temporarily and they just slowly re-intro things so that the dogs associate the shot with fun.
                    Good to hear! I will be picking up my pup from them next weekend after a 6 month stent there. Couldn't be more excited.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                      Good to hear! I will be picking up my pup from them next weekend after a 6 month stent there. Couldn't be more excited.
                      They were great to work with. I messed up by not hunting her enough after I got her back but I started a company and had a kid so hunting was not in the cards at that point.

Comment

They were great to work with. I messed up by not hunting her enough after I got her back but I started a company and had a kid so hunting was not in the cards at that point.
                        Glad to hear your pup is recovering good!

Comment

Finally

Duck hunt or deer hunt this Sunday? That is is the question. Had a few birds show up in central Texas with this last front.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post

Glad to hear your pup is recovering good!

Thanks David. I was pretty upset with myself for putting her in that situation but live and learn I suppose. She’s a good little dog but needs more time hunting....I could say the same about myself too!

I joined THC by the way so we will see how it goes. I’m excited for next season.

Comment

Anybody make it out up north this AM?

Comment

Got a red and a merganser on one of the W lakes in Central Tx. Not much flying, tried a new shot. Only heard a few shots all morning.

But better than work!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X