Coastal trailer mansion II, the unicorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal trailer mansion II, the unicorn

We have been looking for a vacant lot along the coast for the better part of three years now with just no luck. Me and my brides requirements really limited the already very limited land available. Our must haves were water views, all utilities already on site, trees, and be protected from storms. With that said, we were beginning to think we were hunting a unicorn.

After visiting with our dear friends Froghunter and Honeybee we checked out the sleepy little fishing community they bought into online. They had a couple on paper that checked all the boxes but one, no trees and the bay view was very limited if even existent. It was still worth checking out in person so we hook up our RV and head to Magnolia Beach to boondock and drive over.

After meeting the realtor it was time to view some properties. Our hearts sank as soon as we pulled up to the three lots listed. We told the realtor thank you and began to drive around on our own. Nothing, absolutely nothing was what we wanted so we decided to drive along the bay. We made a left and a right snaking our way to the water when we found a lot that checked all the boxes just two blocks from the bay and boat ramp. There was no realtor or fsbo sign, only 3' tall grass. Oh what the heck, lets pull the address up online and see what happens.

It was listed but showed no longer on the market as of the month before so I called the realtor to inquire. Oh my gosh, it is still for sale! A person had a contract on it but could not get financing and backed out. Suddenly our dream was within grasp.

The original asking price was about 20% higher than comps and we found out that the two friends that purchased it 10 years ago as a fishing camp had never used the property. Me being me, I wanted to see how low we could talk them down to so I used my pawnshop tactic and offered 50% of their original asking.

It was beginning to get late so we head back to the rv. The next morning Froghunter and I went kayak fishing and had a blast! The bay was so calm and as the sun began to rise I witnessed God!

After being ran off by an alligator and Froghunter heading back to their coastal trailer mansion I received an email from the realtor. Much to our surprise the sellers countered with 2% above our offer with the statement of "final offer". I just can't leave well enough alone and accept. If they came back that low, they are very motivated so I countered their "final" with a price in the middle. They jumped on it and quick! We were going to finally be coastal property owners!!!

After lunch we headed back to the realtors office to sign a contract, write an earnest check, and set a closing date. Being a cash sale I was ready to the following week but we had to wait 30 days. Three weeks in hurricane Harvey made landfall 30 miles West of the property. I couldn't get away from work to go help Froghunter and Honeybee or our sons in-laws that live in Rockport. My stomach was in knots. Thank the good Lord both escaped with only minor damage.

Power was still out after labor day and could not make contact with the title company or the realtor. I did however contact the city office through fb and loaded several gallons of fuel, water, and bug spray to donate. We hooked up to the rv, loaded the chainsaw, got a cashiers check in the event we could close, and off we went.

Upon entering the city the first thing we saw was a decimated mini storage unit with people's belongings strewn through a field. Our hearts wept.

We pulled in to the little rv park were we had reservations and dropped the rv. They actually had power back but we didn't want to hookup to water as they were still under a boil notice. The title company contacted me and said because it was a cash sale, we could still close because they did not have a way to verify funds had we gone conventional because their computers were still down.

The next morning, Friday, I got ready and drove to the municipal office while my bride was getting ready. Dropped off the donation supplies and visited with the mayor for a few minutes. He said 60% of the structures were damaged and two older homes were completely destroyed. No life was lost as he ordered a mandatory evacuation in plenty time for everyone to escape.

10:30 am found us at the title company and 15 minutes later it was time for us to start clearing debris and fallen trees from Our Coastal Property!!! We lost three huge trees and without Froghunter, Honeybee, their kids (I can't believe they are getting so big!), and our new neighbor Timothy, we would not have been able to get it cleaned up this trip!

I captured over 20 hours of video and am editing it now. Hopefully next week before we head back down I'll have it uploaded. This places progress will be measured in years so join us as we make our retirement dreams a reality...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you. I'm also looking for a unicorn at the coast. 15 acres or more with 5 minutes of boat ramp- really wanting Seadrift/POC area but may start expanding

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Good for you. I'm also looking for a unicorn at the coast. 15 acres or more with 5 minutes of boat ramp- really wanting Seadrift/POC area but may start expanding

There is a couple just outside Seadrift towards POC. They are very proud of them but now is the time to buy! One could use the resent hurricane as ammo during negotiations. Good luck on your quest and I hope to call you a neighbor soon!

Comment

I tried to edit the post but it was too late so if I may...

Derrick and Melissa, this thread is named after y'all's because of your encouragement and faithful friendship that caused us to stretch and grow. We owe you both a debt that cannot be repaid! Your Christ like examples in your everyday lives from raising your kids to friendships like ours is a true testament and example to try and emulate in our own daily lives. We love you both and look forward to many, many years helping one other chase their dreams.

Michael

Comment

Well done brother!!its a Dream coming true for both of us.

Comment

That's so exciting, Michael! I'm very happy for you! And to have neighbors like Derrick and Melissa.. Icing on the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
              Well done brother!!its a Dream coming true for both of us.

Yessir! Me too!!! I look forward to many many years of fishing and BBQing as a family

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                That's so exciting, Michael! I'm very happy for you! And to have neighbors like Derrick and Melissa.. Icing on the cake!

I tell you lady, it just doesn't get any better. The entire community is like tbh, we love it!

Can I retire yet? This work thing is interfering [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                  We have been looking for a vacant lot along the coast for the better part of three years now with just no luck. Me and my brides requirements really limited the already very limited land available. Our must haves were water views, all utilities already on site, trees, and be protected from storms. With that said, we were beginning to think we were hunting a unicorn.

After visiting with our dear friends Froghunter and Honeybee we checked out the sleepy little fishing community they bought into online. They had a couple on paper that checked all the boxes but one, no trees and the bay view was very limited if even existent. It was still worth checking out in person so we hook up our RV and head to Magnolia Beach to boondock and drive over.

After meeting the realtor it was time to view some properties. Our hearts sank as soon as we pulled up to the three lots listed. We told the realtor thank you and began to drive around on our own. Nothing, absolutely nothing was what we wanted so we decided to drive along the bay. We made a left and a right snaking our way to the water when we found a lot that checked all the boxes just two blocks from the bay and boat ramp. There was no realtor or fsbo sign, only 3' tall grass. Oh what the heck, lets pull the address up online and see what happens.

It was listed but showed no longer on the market as of the month before so I called the realtor to inquire. Oh my gosh, it is still for sale! A person had a contract on it but could not get financing and backed out. Suddenly our dream was within grasp.

The original asking price was about 20% higher than comps and we found out that the two friends that purchased it 10 years ago as a fishing camp had never used the property. Me being me, I wanted to see how low we could talk them down to so I used my pawnshop tactic and offered 50% of their original asking.

It was beginning to get late so we head back to the rv. The next morning Froghunter and I went kayak fishing and had a blast! The bay was so calm and as the sun began to rise I witnessed God!

After being ran off by an alligator and Froghunter heading back to their coastal trailer mansion I received an email from the realtor. Much to our surprise the sellers countered with 2% above our offer with the statement of "final offer". I just can't leave well enough alone and accept. If they came back that low, they are very motivated so I countered their "final" with a price in the middle. They jumped on it and quick! We were going to finally be coastal property owners!!!

After lunch we headed back to the realtors office to sign a contract, write an earnest check, and set a closing date. Being a cash sale I was ready to the following week but we had to wait 30 days. Three weeks in hurricane Harvey made landfall 30 miles West of the property. I couldn't get away from work to go help Froghunter and Honeybee or our sons in-laws that live in Rockport. My stomach was in knots. Thank the good Lord both escaped with only minor damage.

Power was still out after labor day and could not make contact with the title company or the realtor. I did however contact the city office through fb and loaded several gallons of fuel, water, and bug spray to donate. We hooked up to the rv, loaded the chainsaw, got a cashiers check in the event we could close, and off we went.

Upon entering the city the first thing we saw was a decimated mini storage unit with people's belongings strewn through a field. Our hearts wept.

We pulled in to the little rv park were we had reservations and dropped the rv. They actually had power back but we didn't want to hookup to water as they were still under a boil notice. The title company contacted me and said because it was a cash sale, we could still close because they did not have a way to verify funds had we gone conventional because their computers were still down.

The next morning, Friday, I got ready and drove to the municipal office while my bride was getting ready. Dropped off the donation supplies and visited with the mayor for a few minutes. He said 60% of the structures were damaged and two older homes were completely destroyed. No life was lost as he ordered a mandatory evacuation in plenty time for everyone to escape.

10:30 am found us at the title company and 15 minutes later it was time for us to start clearing debris and fallen trees from Our Coastal Property!!! We lost three huge trees and without Froghunter, Honeybee, their kids (I can't believe they are getting so big!), and our new neighbor Timothy, we would not have been able to get it cleaned up this trip!

I captured over 20 hours of video and am editing it now. Hopefully next week before we head back down I'll have it uploaded. This places progress will be measured in years so join us as we make our retirement dreams a reality...

Good for you, congratulations! Too bad you did not find it after the hurricane, you probably could have negotiated 20% the other direction in your favor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

We will be going back this weekend to replace and upgrade everything on the meter pole. A big tree took out our service drop and weatherhead on the riser during Harvey. If all goes as planned we will have shore power next week!

See you Saturday froghunter. Y'all drive safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                      We will be going back this weekend to replace and upgrade everything on the meter pole. A big tree took out our service drop and weatherhead on the riser during Harvey. If all goes as planned we will have shore power next week!

See you Saturday froghunter. Y'all drive safe.

Michael, I have an old 200 amp fuse box you can have, I can bring it to you.

If'n you need something for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                        Michael, I have an old 200 amp fuse box you can have, I can bring it to you.

If'n you need something for awhile.
                        Thank you for the offer! We currently have a 100 amp service and this past Friday I picked up everything to upgrade us to 200 amp. If all goes right by 8am Saturday everything will be mounted on the pole leaving me with a 32' ditch to dig for the RV 50 amp drop. Again I do greatly appreciate the offer!!!

Comment

Congratulations on getting your little piece of Heaven. I know you'll love it.

Comment

Congrats. Living the dream!

Comment

Our short term goal with this place is to create a life we do not need a vacation from. When the bulk of the initial work is complete, we should achieve our goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X