Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado or NM DIY Mule Deer Unit Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado or NM DIY Mule Deer Unit Recommendations?

Starting the process of researching which units I would like to apply for on a DIY rifle Colorado mule deer unit.

- Needs to have decent public land percentage and access. Don’t mind packing in or possibly using an Ebike to get in further.

- I’m most comfortable at 6,000 - 9,000 above that it kicks my butt even being in decent shape.

- hoping for 160”+ bucks.

- I really like the aspect of glassing scrub/sage brush in rolling hills versus drastic mountainous elevation changes.

Don’t mind putting in years to a draw if it takes that long for a quality unit.

If you had to pick three units around this criteria what would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NM33 has some good ones but getting drawn is a crap shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
      NM33 has some good ones but getting drawn is a crap shoot.

Need preference points?

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
        Need preference points?

good lord smh

Comment

Need preference points?

There are no PP's in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            good lord smh

Still learning sorry.

I’m not up to speed on New Mexico or Colorado public land. I’ll do better at my research.

But thank you for your constructive positive input to my thread.

I bet you’re a joy to be around in deer camp.

Comment

Still learning sorry.

I’m not up to speed on New Mexico or Colorado public land. I’ll do better at my research.

I actually am. Sorry your real bad at researching before you ask for help

Comment

I actually am. Sorry your real bad at researching before you ask for help

You’re

Comment

good lord smh
                  you made me laugh!

Brunner-

For the most part, Colorado is superior to NM in terms of mule deer hunting. Obviously there are some good units in NM, but the better ones are nearly impossible for a non-resident to draw a tag (in many units, you statically will never draw a tag in your lifetime as a non-resident). Spend some time with the draw odds that are published each year. With all that said, apply to NM every year as there is a chance you can draw (no PP system) .

Colorado has a PP system. You don't have to put in for a specific unit to build points. And there isn't any randomness to the draw- the tags are allocated to the applicants with the most points. Moreover, there isn't any chance of drawing a tag with no or few points in a quality unit (is a bit more complex than this, but that is the gist). There are lots of units in Colorado that meet your criteria. Do some research on rokslide, look up the Jay Scott Podcasts....

best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                    you made me laugh!

Brunner-

For the most part, Colorado is superior to NM in terms of mule deer hunting. Obviously there are some good units in NM, but the better ones are nearly impossible for a non-resident to draw a tag (in many units, you statically will never draw a tag in your lifetime as a non-resident). Spend some time with the draw odds that are published each year. With all that said, apply to NM every year as there is a chance you can draw (no PP system) .

Colorado has a PP system. You don't have to put in for a specific unit to build points. And there isn't any randomness to the draw- the tags are allocated to the applicants with the most points. Moreover, there isn't any chance of drawing a tag with no or few points in a quality unit (is a bit more complex than this, but that is the gist). There are lots of units in Colorado that meet your criteria. Do some research on rokslide, look up the Jay Scott Podcasts....

best of luck

Thank you for the info, this is the kind of positive informative discussion I was hoping for.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Something weird about forums these days. Someone does so little research that they don’t know the draw system in a state and act like the person who calls them out on it is in the wrong. Mule deer are expensive. Very little chance at a 160” in NM or Colorado with 0 points. That said I have had very little chance with a few of the tags I’ve drawn so good luck

Comment

Something weird about forums these days. Someone does so little research that they don’t know the draw system in a state and act like the person who calls them out on it is in the wrong. Mule deer are expensive. Very little chance at a 160” in NM or Colorado with 0 points. That said I have had very little chance with a few of the tags I’ve drawn so good luck

I guess it’s about your particular approach for me JT.

The post below yours was a simple enough response to let me know NM does have PP.

Your response on the other hand literally added nothing of value to my thread.

I guess I do not see the value of being disrespectful or rude to someone whom I do not know.

But guess banter between guys like you and me make for entertaining reading.

Too each is own.

Best of luck with your Preference Points.

Comment

Still learning sorry.

I started to read your reply and was thinking that I’d tell you that you don’t have to pander to that ……..

Then you totally redeemed yourself! Nice sarcasm.

Pm sent.

Comment

JTL doin JTL things.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                              JTL doin JTL things.
                              Word

Comment

Working...
                              X