Smoked Venison Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Venison Steak

After trying to smoke and then cook my venison steaks on my RecTeq, and having them turn out over cooked and dry, I tried something else. Instead of cutting my steaks about a 1/2 inch thick, like I did for a charcoal grill, I left my steaks about 4-5 inches thick. Some of the smaller muscle groups in the hams, or small roasts I guess, I left whole.

I turned the grill up to 350 and started cooking my veggies. I rubbed the steak/roast with olive oil and sprinkled my seasoning on it (used Special **** tonight) put it in the smoker for about 30 minuets.
    Took it off, put Dijon mustard on one side, sprinkled capers on the top (just sounded good) and cooked it at 350 to an IT of 130.

It came out perfect, medium rare on the inside, and juicy. Also found a good one, by luck, and had a good supper.
    Attached Files

Looks amazing! Makes me hungry, and I just had supper.

Comment

Nice cook on the roast[emoji108]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Nice. Might have to experiment along those lines.

Comment

It looks very appetizing! Tell me, how do you understand that the meat is ready, I'm just constantly afraid that it will come out raw if you bake such a large piece.

Comment

Originally posted by JenMorri88 View Post
              It looks very appetizing! Tell me, how do you understand that the meat is ready, I'm just constantly afraid that it will come out raw if you bake such a large piece.
              He cooked it to an internal temp of 130 degrees which is med rare I believe. The recteq grill has meat prob so you can monitor meat temp while cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                He cooked it to an internal temp of 130 degrees which is med rare I believe. The recteq grill has meat prob so you can monitor meat temp while cooking.
                I use a probe all of the time now, keeps me from over/under cooking anything! Some call it cheating but it sure has helped me!

Comment

I just got a RecTeq. Will have to try this.

Comment

Looks great! I would have pulled it sooner but we prefer a true rare.

Comment

I did something similar last week with a backstrap. Reverse seared it after an hour on the smoker. Cut the whole backstrap in thirds, so it was like small roasts. It has become my favorite way to do venison after braising.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                        Yes, you have to use a thermometer. My grill comes with one. You can also buy thermometers to use on your grill.

Comment

Looks good, will have to try this.

Comment

Looks good! Gonna give this a try!

Comment

Working...
                            X