Old guys getting into shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old guys getting into shape

Noticed alot of guys trying to improve their life and get in shape. First off make sure you are stretching and warming your muscles up. I didn't and am recovering from a total shoulder rebuild and reattach right bicep.

Second go to your Dr. For bloodwork. I felt like I was always tired and had just accepted that I was gonna carry fat because of age. I was eating right and working out and nothing was happening. Went to my Dr. And had a full blood workup including Thyroid, vitiman levels, and testerone. I now take two types of vitimans and also testerone injections. I changed nothing else. I feel great and have dropped some weight and alot of body fat.

I'm not old by any means. Mid 40s. My body just does not process and store certain vitamins and testerone. Dr said it's not
    uncommon. It is one of the best decisions I've made and it has helped
    my mood as well

at 52 I've been thinking about this too..thanks

Comment

I have to get testosterone gel. I was diagnosed with low T several years ago. I had considered going with shots but have heard they tend to slowly wear off before the next shot.

Thanks for the great advice about taking it easy. So many of us want to see results quickly and tend to overdo things a bit.

My plan is to walk at 3.5 mph for a week, then add 5 minutes running to that after week 1. Each subsequent week add another 5 minutes running until I can run for 30 minutes+.

Todd

Comment

Todd they now have a small implant that goes in your hip that is suppose to be time released for 6 months. As soon as my insurance covers this I will switch. Every Dr has different opinions on gel vs injections. I do an injection once a week mainly because I didn't want my 2 boys getting cross contaminated from gel.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          My body just does not process and store certain vitamins and testerone.
          Can you explain this? Curious how it can't store these.

If they can't store these, it would seem to me you need them on a constant basis all day to keep your levels normal.

Congrats on the new lifestyle...it puts life into a new perspective

Comment

Injections here with no problems. They tell me the pellets can be problematic getting the correct dose. Low T sucks, the treatments are worth the money.

Comment

Yeah, I do the gel just after showering in the mornings, before getting dressed. That way I don't interact with them that much before it is dried. But, I would certainly consider an implant if it's safe. I have heard pros and cons about each way of doing it. Some people start getting a resistance to the gel and that worries me some. Let me know how it goes with the implant.

Todd

Comment

HogHunter. I am in the sun more than most and do what I can for Vitiaman D. My level is still very low unless I take a prescription D3. My body just does not process like most do

Comment

Testo injection here. I hate that dang gel. My Dr hooks me up at the pharmacy and i inject myself.
                  Now with this dang blood disorder i cant take any vitamins with iron and little to no vitamin c.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
                    I have to get testosterone gel. I was diagnosed with low T several years ago. I had considered going with shots but have heard they tend to slowly wear off before the next shot.

Thanks for the great advice about taking it easy. So many of us want to see results quickly and tend to overdo things a bit.

My plan is to walk at 3.5 mph for a week, then add 5 minutes running to that after week 1. Each subsequent week add another 5 minutes running until I can run for 30 minutes+.

Todd
                    Todd, you didn't mention weight training, just making sure that you plan on incorporating some type of resistance training into your weight loss program. When you run or walk/jog, your body only burns fat while you're running and up to 45 mins to 1hr afterwords. When you lift weights or do resistance training, you continue to burn fat for up to around 20 hours AFTER your workout.

The two most important things are diet and resistance training. You need cardio but resistance training is way more efficient than cardio alone. If you search the P90X thread, you can see what it did for me (weights and diet), I lost 40lbs last year.

If you have any questions just ask.

Comment

I got me an old tractor tire. Flip that sucker till ya cant. Catch ya breath, repeat. Weight training n cardio all in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Kade View Post
                        Todd, you didn't mention weight training, just making sure that you plan on incorporating some type of resistance training into your weight loss program. When you run or walk/jog, your body only burns fat while you're running and up to 45 mins to 1hr afterwords. When you lift weights or do resistance training, you continue to burn fat for up to around 20 hours AFTER your workout.

The two most important things are diet and resistance training. You need cardio but resistance training is way more efficient than cardio alone. If you search the P90X thread, you can see what it did for me (weights and diet), I lost 40lbs last year.

If you have any questions just ask.
                        I plan to include it, but probably not right at the beginning. I will need to first get some cardio endurance built up. I do a lot of walking in my job and I need to stop getting winded when I walk so much.

Todd

Comment

Ragin that is what I do twice a week as well. It ain't no joke. Try dragging it behind you someday.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Ragin that is what I do twice a week as well. It ain't no joke. Try dragging it behind you someday.
                            I stay away from that. My calves a freaky enuff looking already!

Comment

Way to go guys!!!

Here are some links that really matter. Food is drugs, and drugs regulate your hormonal cascade and how your body uses those calories. As for training, all you need is your body weight and three feet of space to start with. Do a prison workout every morning and night, then go from there. I WOULD suggest you get into something you love to do, then it won't feel like working out. Just my .02.

The Paleo diet is the healthiest way you can eat because it is the ONLY nutritional approach that works with your genetics to help you stay lean, strong and energetic! Research in biology, biochemistry, Ophthalmology, Dermatology and many other disciplines indicate it is our modern diet, full of

Author of Rethinking Diabetes, The Case Against Sugar, Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories

As for training here are some basics and a little more advanced.

Low-tech, high-effect training solutions for beast mode aficionados and fitness enthusiasts

CrossFit offers a results-based, community-driven approach that helps you build fitness and improve your health—over your lifetime.

Comment

Working...
                              X