Anybody been to Antarctica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody been to Antarctica?

Looking into heading down to Antarctica at the end of the year and just curious if anyone has been? I understand that is when it is the warmest and that you can take a cruise/ice breaker ship from the tip of South America? Looks like they even offer snorkeling trip.

What's the attraction? Aquatic wildlife?

Comment

Probably won’t be able to afford to go after you pay the traffic ticket!

Comment

Never thought about going but after doing some research seems pretty neat. Cant say I know anyone whos ever been there

Comment

I have some friends that work on research boats out there. Can't speak on tourism but when they're there they see some beautiful wildlife (seals, sea lions, whales, penguins) and the auroras a few times. You couldn't pay me to get in that water though, I don't care how warm the air is lol that ocean is COLD

Comment

Only place I need to go is America

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Looking into heading down to Antarctica at the end of the year and just curious if anyone has been? I understand that is when it is the warmest and that you can take a cruise/ice breaker ship from the tip of South America? Looks like they even offer snorkeling trip.
              I love to snorkel and dive. That said; cold, dark, deep water is spooky as hell to me. The chances of it sucking me down into the abyss are low, but I'm not giving it the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                Probably won’t be able to afford to go after you pay the traffic ticket!
                No kidding, I qualified for the X and over category.

I like to travel and dive. And have dove/dived in all 6 continents and would like to check the box on the 7th as somewhat of a present to myself. From what I have seen it is mainly large cruise ships that make the journey, which I have never been on.

This is from a trip to the Galapagos. The penguins and seals are great to dive with.
                Attached Files

Comment

i went to visit in 1991,1992,1993. very pretty, very cold, great beer. made friends , lost friends. buried friends. But you will enjoy it. The tour ships would get clearance to go visit the historic huts at Mcmurdo station. the summer season goes into effect in late sept thru jan if i recall . february starts to winter up , and we would leave in feb, conduct a air drop of groceries in june or july and then take the physciatrists down in August to evaluate the people that stayed all winter long. The US Navy Antartic Programme paid for us to keep about 60 people in New Zealand, and we got to go visit and work down there loading aircraft and moving pax and cargo around the continent.

Comment

I watch a Utube channel called "Brupeg".
                    It's about a couple (kiwi couple) rebuilding a trawler, for Arctic exploration..
                    They been at it, for about fours years...If ya like ships. Give it a look..
                    Just a suggestion...

Comment

Just watched The Thing, not going.

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                        I have some friends that work on research boats out there. Can't speak on tourism but when they're there they see some beautiful wildlife (seals, sea lions, whales, penguins) and the auroras a few times. You couldn't pay me to get in that water though, I don't care how warm the air is lol that ocean is COLD
                        My mom worked as a chef on an icebreaker boat (the palmer I believe) that hauled research teams for shell down there. Called chile and new Zealand home for a couple of years.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

I was there back in the mid 50’s chasin’ killer whales and polar bears and making good money… just kiddin’.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                            i went to visit in 1991,1992,1993. very pretty, very cold, great beer. made friends , lost friends. buried friends. But you will enjoy it. The tour ships would get clearance to go visit the historic huts at Mcmurdo station. the summer season goes into effect in late sept thru jan if i recall . february starts to winter up , and we would leave in feb, conduct a air drop of groceries in june or july and then take the physciatrists down in August to evaluate the people that stayed all winter long. The US Navy Antartic Programme paid for us to keep about 60 people in New Zealand, and we got to go visit and work down there loading aircraft and moving pax and cargo around the continent.
                            That’s a Pretty Cool Story.

I’m not built for even the Northern USA. At 35, I moved to the Chicago area after living my entire life in Houston and Nacogdoches. I did 4 years and couldn’t wait to get back home. I hate extreme cold.

Comment

If you have not read it, add The Last Viking to your list, the history of Norway's Roald Amundsen who made the first trip to the South Pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X