Lots of talk about foam, no talk about EVS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of talk about foam, no talk about EVS

Does anyone use an EVS system? I am hearing that some folks with spray foam can't keep their pilot lights on the stove light because of no fresh air.
    I had spray foam installed in my garage and definitely had the stale air issue.
    Before I drop a whole lot of money on foam for a new house I'm curious why these aren't used more or even standard......

Are these same people that can't keep their pilot lit having breathing issues too? Seems unlikely and I would get a reading on the air content (O2 saturation specifically) in the house if I couldn't keep a pilot lit.

I have open cell foam on 5 sides sprayed against the plyboard and have no issues.

Comment

While I like the electric bills that people with foam have I'm just not sold on it yet. You don't need foam to get efficiency. I built my house in 1988. 3000 sq ft. I framed the outside walls with 2x6 studs, 6 mil clear poly over studs on the inside that covers r-19 unfaced insulation topped with 3/4 foil faced foam board. For the attic i used 2 layers alternating layers of r-19 batt insulation. In that time I have been over $ 200 on the electric bill twice, once last year and last month. I used 1964 kwh last month @ 10.3 cents per kwh. The house stays around 40% RH.

The question I always had was if you should have a leak, roof or otherwise, how long would it take to see it and then how do you repair it, ie.. get the metal roof panel, plywood off.

Comment

My last house was foam and I installed an ERV after blower door test showed how tight it was. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference (I wasn’t having problems before).

As an HVAC tech, I’ve been in several “sick” spray-foamed houses. Around here, it seems that dehumidifiers do better than ERVs at curing it, though the cost to run them more than wipes out the energy savings of foam.

Comment

Good point about the cost to run them.
          How does this “blower test” work?

I see there is a bpi standard for air exchange rate…..

Comment

worth the money and make up air systems aren't too bad.

ac

Comment

We built in 2016, total foam encapsulation. We have LP gas logs and a LP cook stove, no issues with pilot lights and the house is very energy efficient.

Comment

My HVAC guy put in a fresh air system to circulate the air in my house !
                Has an intake and an exhaust for air circulation.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                  My HVAC guy put in a fresh air system to circulate the air in my house !
                  Has an intake and an exhaust for air circulation.
                  Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    While I like the electric bills that people with foam have I'm just not sold on it yet. You don't need foam to get efficiency. I built my house in 1988. 3000 sq ft. I framed the outside walls with 2x6 studs, 6 mil clear poly over studs on the inside that covers r-19 unfaced insulation topped with 3/4 foil faced foam board. For the attic i used 2 layers alternating layers of r-19 batt insulation. In that time I have been over $ 200 on the electric bill twice, once last year and last month. I used 1964 kwh last month @ 10.3 cents per kwh. The house stays around 40% RH.

The question I always had was if you should have a leak, roof or otherwise, how long would it take to see it and then how do you repair it, ie.. get the metal roof panel, plywood off.
                    I feel the same. I did my build last year and decided not to use foam. I did 2x6 exterior wells with r19 insulation. Have not had a bill over 100 yet. In my mind, in our hot and humid environment, wood needs to be able to breath. I picture lots of mold and wood rot issues in 10 years.

Comment

Dealing with a house that the spray foam allegedly has caused excessive moisture retention and mold. Bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                        Dealing with a house that the spray foam allegedly has caused excessive moisture retention and mold. Bad situation.
                        identify the cause yet?

Comment

6 in the walls and pushing 8 on the roof. No problems here at all.

Comment

Working...
                          X