Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Year Lease vs Day Lease (in this economy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year Lease vs Day Lease (in this economy)

With the prices for corn($10+) and Protein ($22+) a bag and gas thru the roof.

Does it make more sense to go and spend $7-$12k on a weekend hunt (what we went to) vs spending the same amount or double/triple for a year long lease?

I think this could be potentially be setting the USA up, for how Europe has operated for decades when it comes to hunting.

Pay to play.

Interested in others thoughts on this.

I understand guys wanting the year long commitment, kids and all the positives about having a yearly place vs a game ranch. I am not interested in that I am strictly talking economic reasons here.
    Last edited by Black_foot_; 06-13-2022, 03:15 PM.

It sucks for sure but Nah, i'd rather have year round access and drop something else. Or Axe the protein and just run corn.

Comment

Spending 7-12 k on hunting never makes since whether its a year long lease or a few day hunt.
      In this econ and the coming much worse econ going to public land simply to clear the mind will be much more common

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Spending 7-12 k on hunting never makes since whether its a year long lease or a few day hunt.
        In this econ and the coming much worse econ going to public land simply to clear the mind will be much more common
        Respectfully to you it doesn't make sense. But if $12k only makes up 2-4% of someone's income, it could make sense to that person.

I can see the logic from that perspective. Everyone's situation is different.

Public hunting numbers going up due to LGB makes perfect sense.
        Last edited by Black_foot_; 06-13-2022, 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Annual leases are about much more than the weekend hunt. That’s not going to change. I enjoyed day/weekend ranch hunts sometimes, but they will never replace the enjoyment I get from leasing. Deer camp friendships built by the campfire can’t be duplicated on a day lease. I enjoy feeding and growing big deer. Showing up and shooting something just isn’t the same.

Comment

Going somewhere and shooting someone else's deer that they've fed & patterned doesn't do it for me. I get it, good leases are high, corn's $13, protein is $17, & diesel is $5.29 in my neck of the woods, but I haven't gotten to the "can't do it" level....yet.

Comment

It's been heading toward the Euro model for a while now. Still leasing for now.

Comment

If you just want to go hunt 2 or 3 weekends each season then day hunts can far out weight the annual deer lease.

Figure if you shoot 2 doe and a buck you should be able to do that on a day lease over 3 weekend hunts for $3,500+ (depending on buck class).

A lease as most don't want to do the math cost a lot more. Someone can do the math. Don't forget to include lodging, extra gas, feeder repairs, batteries and all that good stuff spent in the off season.

Obviously if your the type that likes to run out to the lease on a whim to work or play etc.. the day hunts won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Annual leases are about much more than the weekend hunt. That’s not going to change. I enjoyed day/weekend ranch hunts sometimes, but they will never replace the enjoyment I get from leasing. Deer camp friendships built by the campfire can’t be duplicated on a day lease. I enjoy feeding and growing big deer. Showing up and shooting something just isn’t the same.
                  This. I thought I was going to do some OK public hunts this year. But when the opportunity to start a lease with some good folks came around, that is the route I went. Good fire, good friends and good food at the end of a good hunt, can't do that well on day leases.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I’m in this camp. I’m at my lease at least 1 or 2 times a week during off season. Yes I do spend a lot of money to have it. But I feel like it is cheaper than paying a therapist if I didn’t. And I might shoot a deer this year. We’ll see.

Comment

Read the OPs bolded last line.

Comment

It already is pay to play.

It's too nuanced to say this or that for economic reasons. If I don't get to hunt doves and deer a dozen + weekends out of the year I'm going to be in a bad mood and probably would lose my job over how crabby I am. That's not very economical if I'm unemployed

Comment

For dollar spent to horn size, a quality package hunt will win hands down.

I'd much rather have a lease to hunt when I want.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            If you just want to go hunt 2 or 3 weekends each season then day hunts can far out weight the annual deer lease.

Figure if you shoot 2 doe and a buck you should be able to do that on a day lease over 3 weekend hunts for $3,500+ (depending on buck class).

A lease as most don't want to do the math cost a lot more. Someone can do the math. Don't forget to include lodging, extra gas, feeder repairs, batteries and all that good stuff spent in the off season.

Obviously if your the type that likes to run out to the lease on a whim to work or play etc.. the day hunts won't work.
                            yep, that's me. My lease is cheap by today's standard. possibility on axis, abundance of hogs. Day leasing wouldn't work for me.

Comment

People spend $10k on their hobbies all day long- fishing, car racing, etc. hunting Kees me from anxiety and depression medicine along with the ability to avoid a therapist..... year long is my choice

Not about the size of the animals

Comment

Working...
                              X