Views:	1
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	25260003Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210917_1437590052-1.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	25260004

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I was crunching the numbers. I got a 350 Legend last year and it delivers more than the HAMR. The only bonus to the HAMR is that it has more ammo selection then the 350 Legend for a reloader.

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
      Now they done dun it. I want one.

Anyone have experience with it??

[ATTACH]1063103[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1063104[/ATTACH]

I reload and have not bought ammo in years so some of this may be useless to you.
      Several years ago I wanted something other than 556 in an AR platform. I researched ballistics for a couple of months between 300 BLK,762x39 & 6.8 SPC.

I settled on 300 BLK because the difference between the 3 is minimal IN MY OPINION. And I could use the same magazines & bolt. Plus I started with just an upper to see what I thought, sharing a BCG and lower with my 556 saving money. And lastly I can make my own brass from 556 in the event that 10 years from now this becomes a "FAD" cartridge. I doubt it will but 556 is very plentiful.

The 6.8 is flatter shooting and holds up better down range.

I compared 30-30,300 blk & 762x39 and it's basically a wash,All three of these are best at 150-200 yds max.

I load 125 grain SST Hornady (300 blk) well below max and they are pushing 2250 FPS which is near the # for 125 grn you posted above. I'm sure I could push it faster BUT the load I got has a group you can cover with a $0.50 piece @ 100 YDS which is good enough for me for THAT rifle. Not so if it was a 22-250.

I don't see the need for the 110 GRN cause I'll just take my 556. I could go with a 147 but I would rather have the speed and flatter trajectory. I suppose that if you where hog hunting a feeder at 75-100 YDS the 147 would pack more punch. I don't do subsonics'

I found the 300 BLK to be VERY accurate and I was surprised actually. I
      really didn't think I would like it as much as I do. I think with hand loads the BLK can do most everything the HAMMER can

Of course these are just my findings and opinions. Good luck and have fun.
      Last edited by kwarw; 09-17-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

There is a long running (since May 2019) thread about the 300 Ham'r on THF. Bill Wilson is posting regularly and provides lots of load development experience as well as reports from the field. Very informative thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
          I reload and have not bought ammo in years so some of this may be useless to you.
          Several years ago I wanted something other than 556 in an AR platform. I researched ballistics for a couple of months between 300 BLK,762x39 & 6.8 SPC.

I settled on 300 BLK because the difference between the 3 is minimal IN MY OPINION. And I could use the same magazines & bolt. Plus I started with just an upper to see what I thought, sharing a BCG and lower with my 556 saving money. And lastly I can make my own brass from 556 in the event that 10 years from now this becomes a "FAD" cartridge. I doubt it will but 556 is very plentiful.

The 6.8 is flatter shooting and holds up better down range.

I compared 30-30,300 blk & 762x39 and it's basically a wash,All three of these are best at 150-200 yds max.

I load 125 grain SST Hornady (300 blk) well below max and they are pushing 2250 FPS which is near the # for 125 grn you posted above. I'm sure I could push it faster BUT the load I got has a group you can cover with a $0.50 piece @ 100 YDS which is good enough for me for THAT rifle. Not so if it was a 22-250.

I don't see the need for the 110 GRN cause I'll just take my 556. I could go with a 147 but I would rather have the speed and flatter trajectory. I suppose that if you where hog hunting a feeder at 75-100 YDS the 147 would pack more punch. I don't do subsonics'

I found the 300 BLK to be VERY accurate and I was surprised actually. I
          really didn't think I would like it as much as I do. I think with hand loads the BLK can do most everything the HAMMER can

Of course these are just my findings and opinions. Good luck and have fun.
          Yea i shoot 300BO (have 3 rifles) and probably get the same performance you do, 2200 FPS with my 125sst load and approx 1300 energy BUT i like the idea of more power with the same case. What i dont want to do is chase a new load all over the place with new powders i dont have ect. My 125sst load can touch groups at 100 yards as well so it is very accurate for me. I shoot subs but only for fun and not that often anyway.

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
          There is a long running (since May 2019) thread about the 300 Ham'r on THF. Bill Wilson is posting regularly and provides lots of load development experience as well as reports from the field. Very informative thread.
          Im on page 50ish lol

Comment

Doing some more brainstorming.... since im not into gas guns too much.

What i want is to lob some 125-130 grainers in a low recoil round for smaller game up to white tail size. My 300 Bo has taken some doe, a few blackbuck but i felt under gunned when i saw a free range audad. As mentioned 125sst are my go to hunt round @2200fps

NOW, hows this. I reload for my .308 and working on a 150 grain hornady interlock round for hunting in my 13inch bolt gun BUT what if i just load my 125s or even 130s in my .308(somewhat reduced) but more than 2200fps (blackout upper range). -2600fps?

All it would cost me is more 125-130 bullets and just cost me large rifle primers VS SRP.......

The plot continues. Maybe I'm just looking for something to do lol.
            Last edited by jaime1982; 09-20-2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

What i want is to lob some 125-130 grainers in a low recoil round for smaller game up to white tail size. My 300 Bo has taken some doe, a few blackbuck but i felt under gunned when i saw a free range audad. As mentioned 125sst are my go to hunt round @2200fps

NOW, hows this. I reload for my .308 and working on a 150 grain hornady interlock round for hunting in my 13inch bolt gun BUT what if i just load my 125s or even 130s in my .308(somewhat reduced) but more than 2200fps (blackout upper range). -2600fps?

All it would cost me is more 125-130 bullets and just cost me large rifle primers VS SRP.......

Sounds good I would use the 150 load data and see what I got. with the powder capacity of 308 you could really get that 125 moving I imagine it would do a lot of damage too.

Comment

I went and looked at a site I lurk on for reloading. It looks like most are recommending a tougher bullet for this idea to avoid meat damage. They seem to prefer an A MAX type bullet.
                I'm not sure I see it that way. I think if it's working @2200 that @2600 or @2800 it would just be more better. I would just work up to where my group got good, roll some up see how the preform on game. In 40 years of reloading I have never found the fastest to be the most accurate.

I have a neighbor that reloads and shoots 125s in a 30-06. I don't know his recipe but the doe he brought in last fall was VERY dead.Small entrance large exit perfect rib shot.
                Last edited by kwarw; 09-20-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

If you can find them the 125 Nosler BT pushed to 3000 fps kills like lightning.

Comment

I am doing something similar with a Savage 270 I built. I didn't like the recoil of the 130's so reduced the charge and put a 110 VMAX on top. Much less recoil holes touching at 100 YDS. Have not shot anything with it yet but I bet it might be a little messy. I wanted this for long range yotes so I'm not worried about the mess LOL.

Comment

Still thinking about this. Loaded some more full power 150grain 308 rounds with 42gr imr4166 and mag primers to try out for my main new hunting round.

Once im done with that ill go back and try the 125 sst, 110s or other interlocks and see what happens and hope my rifle likes it (if not) meh.

Im sure i can get some lighter bullets to fly with light recoil but i want it to work with the powders i have.

Main thing to remember is im shooting out of a 13inch barrel bolt gun so im losing a bit of M velocity but shooting close, 150 yards max and out of a box blind. Hill country deer are small but if i see exotics i want to be able to have knock down power. Ive had an axis run FAR after a perfect shot with a full power .308.....
                      Last edited by jaime1982; 09-20-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Still thinking about this. Loaded some more full power 150grain 308 rounds with 42gr imr4166 and mag primers to try out for my main new hunting round.

Once im done with that ill go back and try the 125 sst, 110s or other interlocks and see what happens and hope my rifle likes it (if not) meh.

Im sure i can get some lighter bullets to fly with light recoil but i want it to work with the powders i have.

Main thing to remember is im shooting out of a 13inch barrel bolt gun so im losing a bit of M velocity but shooting close, 150 yards max and out of a box blind. Hill country deer are small but if i see exotics i want to be able to have knock down power. Ive had an axis run FAR after a perfect shot with a full power .308.....
                        I hear ya. This always comes down to the same 2 things either heavy and slower or lighter and faster. I'm in the faster and lighter fan club myself. There is merit to both sides.I usually chest shoot large game I have not killed a lot of deer but the ones I have all had everything in their chest cavity liquefied and DRT.
                        The deer here are not that big either. I kinda fell into this thinking from the devastating damage I did to groundhogs in my home state of KY when I was a kid. Looking back to those days it was borderline cruelty but huge fun. Wasn't much to do back in the day only 3 TV channels and if you where around the house they would put you to work. I learned to get up early and make myself hard to find.

I am far from an expert but your 150 choice seems like a logical all around load

I've been on another thread called why a magnum caliber. one of the guys made an analogy about dumping all the energy into the animal rather than 500 ftlbs in the game and 2500 in the tree behind it. It made sense to me and been my experience as well. Good luck and have fun.
                        Last edited by kwarw; 09-20-2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Ok I did a thing. We shall seeClick image for larger version

Name:	20230222_125546.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	24708151Click image for larger version

Name:	20230222_125940.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24708152

Comment

I have one and love it, vmax and hot core 130’s are my go to. It’s taken pigs from 50-285lbs with out an issue and deer out to 235 yards goin in one side out the other

Comment

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post
                              I have one and love it, vmax and hot core 130’s are my go to. It’s taken pigs from 50-285lbs with out an issue and deer out to 235 yards goin in one side out the other
                              Very good to hear. Im pretty excited to get this thing going. Once i get a few off days ill start reloading.

Comment

Working...
                              X