Getting Meat Back from Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Meat Back from Elk Hunt

Ok guys. I need some advice. My brother and I are headed up to Idaho to hunt elk. We are flying up there and back into Idaho Falls. If we are successful the question comes to how are we getting the meat back. I’ve gotten a ton of different answer and so I wanted to hear what some of you guys have done.

So far my options are donate the meat. No happening.

Second, have the meat processor ship the meat to us. Probably going to be expensive.

Third, ship my gear to my home before we head home from Idaho and take the meat on coolers as checked baggage on the airplane. If I do this should I take 4 smaller coolers or 2 150 quart coolers. Obviously this could be the most cost effective.

Tell me your stories and what to watch out for. Appreciate y’all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

50 lb limit. So you would be better off with smaller coolers from my experience.

Comment

1. Pay a processor.
      2. Drive and bring chest freezers on a trailer. Then buy dry ice for the trip back.

Comment

Drive

Comment

Just flew back from Alaska with lots of fish and Alaska and American Airlines limits were 100 lbs and my 150 qt cooler was 30 lbs over. Thankfully the helpful agent at the counter had an extra box large enough to hold the extra 30 lbs. This is more of an FYI for your planning as I think you would only be able to fit a single elk into 2x 150 qt coolers, maybe. I don't have any other advice how to get that much meat back without the more expensive shipping option.

Good luck with the hunt!

Comment

I got burned on your second option when I was 15 and killed my first and only elk (6X5 bull). Family friend picked up the meat from the processor and sent it overnight UPS. 32 years later I’m still waiting on the truck to show up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

How about renting a small u haul if you kill and drive everything back ?

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                How about renting a small u haul if you kill and drive everything back ?

Plane tickets are already purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hope you get it figured out. This is the exact reason Im driving solo to Montana and back. Just to be able to bring the meat home should I be successful.

Comment

The cost of processing and shipping 300+pounds of meat will easily justify canceling that return flight and renting a suv for 2 days home should you be successful

Comment

Drive. It’s much less expensive and you’ll enjoy the sight seeing. We did this from Conroe to Wyoming and loved every minute of it, even if we were exhausted on the way back.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                        The cost of processing and shipping 300+pounds of meat will easily justify canceling that return flight and renting a suv for 2 days home should you be successful
                        Agreed. Driving has its own challenges but definitely an advantage on getting the meat home.

Comment

TBH Express. Duh….

Comment

We made the drive to Idaho last year so we could bring the meat back. We faced your same dilemma on how to get it back if we flew. I’m sure someone can ship it we just never found anyone in our area. Gonna drive up there again this year and take a flatbed. Good luck.

Comment

If you are flying no matter what then have the meat shipped back.

Comment

Working...
                              X