Cattle Egret shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Egret shots

There is a heronry (nesting site) in Seguin, on the south side of I-10 at Hwy 46. I stopped by this week to shoot a few pics. I estimate there are 300+ nests in this little thicket (50x75 yds). The biggest thing about the site is the smell--horrendous.

Rats with wings.

Comment

By the title. I thought we were going to see pictures of a cloud of white feathers slowly drifting to the ground.

Comment

I noticed the rookery a while back. I drive past it twice a day going to and from work. Been doing that route 5 days a week for 10 years and only recently did the cattle egrets show up.

What surprises me is that in the trees on the east side of 46, nothing!

Thanks for the pics.
        Last edited by Mule Skinner; 06-18-2021, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          Rats with wings.
          Really? How so?

Comment

Always heard they were the reason why we don’t see as many big bull frogs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
              Always heard they were the reason why we don’t see as many big bull frogs anymore.
              Although I’d love to see them wipe out the grasshoppers on my place.

Comment

I shoot bangers at them all the time for work horid birds

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  By the title. I thought we were going to see pictures of a cloud of white feathers slowly drifting to the ground.
                  Same. I was really hoping for more dramatic poof effects.

Cool pics MrDustOffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                    Really? How so?
                    The huge amount of crap they produce and dead chicks falling out of nest and rotting on the ground. If they didn't nest by the hundreds all in one place it would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      The huge amount of crap they produce and dead chicks falling out of nest and rotting on the ground. If they didn't nest by the hundreds all in one place it would be fine.
                      Yep! I had them nest on my place one time. Killed about 50 oak trees.

Comment

Nice shots. It's amazing that they can set up a rookery almost anywhere. The smell gets pretty bad late in the nesting season.

Comment

I have noticed those birds for the last few weeks, when I actually take 46 to 10. I thought that area used to be over run with grackles, that roosted everywhere possible around that intersection, in the evenings?

Never noticed cattle egrets, in large numbers like that.

Comment

Great pics!

Comment

I bet they are nesting up behind my house...

Comment

Working...
                              X