Deer protein test - 1,200+ pics reviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer protein test - 1,200+ pics reviewed

A big thanks to fellow TBH member, BosqueTech, for his time and effort in this test. A lot of great insights and lessons learned!

Attached Files

Could the bucks be choosing the feeder instead of the feed? The one on the right has a much longer neck. Could they be choosing it so they don't hit their horns on the actual body of the feeder? I like the idea but that kind of variable eliminates a true comparison of feed.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
      Could the bucks be choosing the feeder instead of the feed? The one on the right has a much longer neck. Could they be choosing it so they don't hit their horns on the actual body of the feeder? I like the idea but that kind of variable eliminates a true comparison of feed.
      That is a great thought! We did get plenty of pics of bucks eating out of the boss feeder however.

Comment

Feeder clogging should never happen with a good feeder, it can happen but extremely rare. Boss buck are some cheap feeders and clog easily from what I’ve seen. Other than that I like the test.

Comment

Thanks for sharing and interesting test. On our place (fed protein 10 yrs or so) the deer are lazy and won't barely touch protein if its on the ground. I literally go shovel the nasty stuff out of the feeder pens 2x or more a year when it piles up

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
            Feeder clogging should never happen with a good feeder, it can happen but extremely rare. Boss buck are some cheap feeders and clog easily from what I’ve seen. Other than that I like the test.
            Not sure I agree here about clogging. Maybe out west or south, but when it rains a lot (think East Tx or the coast) I haven't seen a feeder that won't clog some. I have never had all 4 spouts clog at the same time, but just my observations from running several for 10+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
              That is a great thought! We did get plenty of pics of bucks eating out of the boss feeder however.
              To really compare feeds, only, you would have to make the feed the only thing different in the test.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                Not sure I agree here about clogging. Maybe out west or south, but when it rains a lot (think East Tx or the coast) I haven't seen a feeder that won't clog some. I have never had all 4 spouts clog at the same time, but just my observations from running several for 10+ years.
                We had some big rain for sure

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                  Thanks for sharing and interesting test. On our place (fed protein 10 yrs or so) the deer are lazy and won't barely touch protein if its on the ground. I literally go shovel the nasty stuff out of the feeder pens 2x or more a year when it piles up
                  Thank you sir. It was fun. Hope to its useful to everyone

Comment

neat test and worth doing especially on a place that is just starting a feeding program

But feeder size, placement, height all play into it. We have multiple feeder pens with 2 feeders and in each pen, the feeder that is lower is always emptied completely while the other one is still half full.

Over the past 2 months we have had double down and LE in side by side feeders, the shorter feeder was emptied first each time, regardless of which feed we had in it. But we have been feeding LE protein for decades so the deer did switch over to Double down with no problem even though they had always been feeding on LE protien

Comment

It looks like the feed was draining out of the DD feeder because the tube was out of level. Maybe banged by a deer?

Comment

I'd be interested in knowing HOW much by weight was consumed of each, not as much as how many times they visited but thanks for going through all the pain to get sometime measured !!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                          It looks like the feed was draining out of the DD feeder because the tube was out of level. Maybe banged by a deer?
                          Its crazy because I had the cameras set to go off every two seconds. Never really saw a deer bump it per say but who knows

Comment

One thing I noticed about our double down experiment was back in April (I think) we had ALOT of protein on the ground from bees. We had a big group of bees around that feeder and they would land on the mouth piece and try to crawl inside. Every time a bee landed or started crawling, protein would dribble out. I bet there was over a hundred pounds of protein total on the ground. A And more the next few times I checked, they finally moved along a few weeks later.

The feeder with LE just 15 feet away had no bees and no spillage...it was from the peanuts in the double down which attracted the bees.

Comment

Working...
                            X