School me on Turkey, quail and dove feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Turkey, quail and dove feeders

I’m trying to retain some birds and want to try and feed all 3 Any suggestions or feeders or plans to share or sell. Thanks in advance

Probably not the most efficient way, but you could use a deer feeder and sling a mix of milo and corn.

Comment

All I've ever heard about feeding quail is don't do it. Hawks gather and have a feast with them gathered up in one spot. No clue if this is true are not. Someone said they are the potato chip of all animals.

Comment

The chain of grocery stores located in small towns called "Lowes" which use to be called Super S, are currently carrying quail feeders for $200-$250 a piece. They are the best design that I have seen and look very nice out in the field. I bought several and will buy more. If you place some out, slide them into some brush or thick tree to keep hawks from diving down. You should also put out some water if possible, something as simple as a 5 gallon chicken waterer will do wonders.

Also if you have a deer feeder out, mix some milo and/or sunflowers in with the corn, the birds will really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          All I've ever heard about feeding quail is don't do it. Hawks gather and have a feast with them gathered up in one spot. No clue if this is true are not. Someone said they are the potato chip of all animals.
          Quail are a bird looking for a way to die.

Comment

Raising this up... I bought a Lamco "bird" feeder that is gravity feed with tray and a cage to keep the deer and other larger animals out of it. Not sure from an attraction perspective how to get the birds to "find" the feeder?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              This is very true, if you are going to put out a quail feeder do it away from anything elevated where a hawk or owl can perch

Comment

What about pigs?

Comment

We mix 50 pounds of milo in a 300 pound feeder. Dump it in last. The quail and dove love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only way to feed quail without setting up ambush points for predators is to broadcast milo into the brush or grass as far as possible. I use a cone type spreader on my tractor and drive all my roads and senderos every 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                      We mix 50 pounds of milo in a 300 pound feeder. Dump it in last. The quail and dove love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I'm going to try this.

Comment

Working...
                      X