NW Oklahoma Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NW Oklahoma Trip

Got to my lease on Friday for 4.5 days of Bowhunting. You couldn’t script worse weather. 2 days over 90 degrees. 30-40mph winds and sometimes both at once. Very little deer movement and zero mature bucks seen at all. To put in perspective, I went the same dates last year and we killed 3 mature deer and temps were in the 20-40 range the whole time. It’s always a crap shoot. Either way, I die a little slower at deer camp and we will be back in 3 weeks for rifle opener and I still have my bow tags as well. Hope it cools off. Still beautiful country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you end up in Alva, stop by the angry bull and ask for Pete. Tell him Tank said hi. You'll know who Pete is as soon as you walk in. you'll hear a very loud Boston accent. You can tell him I said that he has the best clam chowder in Oklahoma.

Best of luck the next time you're up there. I don't think I saw 90゚ in October when I was playing baseball up there my entire 5 years in alva.
    Last edited by ctom87; 10-27-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

You’re in a good area…good luck on the rifle opener!

Comment

Red cliffs look like west of fairview

Comment

Ride Rangers Ride!

Comment

Looks amazing buddy. Good luck in a couple weeks!!

Comment

What county you hunting in NW Oklahoma ?
              Wind and temperatures have not cooperated lately up here. But rifle season should bring cooler temperatures, wind will still be a factor anywhere in NW Oklahoma
              Good luck in rifle season when you return

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                Ride Rangers Ride!

Comment

I remember your pics from last year ,that was a hell of a trip. Those are some great pics as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ReydonPete View Post
                    What county you hunting in NW Oklahoma ?
                    Wind and temperatures have not cooperated lately up here. But rifle season should bring cooler temperatures, wind will still be a factor anywhere in NW Oklahoma
                    Good luck in rifle season when you return

We are in Woods county. Big storm came through last night and got the wheat fields some good rain. I am optimistic about rifle season. We saw a lot more does and yearlings this trip which always is a good sign come the rut. Bucks and mature bucks always seem to show up out of nowhere.

Comment

Alright, this one hit way too close to home. I’m headed back up this evening. Rifle season opens Saturday and I still have my archery tag as well. No more sunshine or sunset pictures. [emoji846][emoji846]. Time to spill some blood.

Comment

Is there still a good quail population around there? Growing up I would quail hunt with my
                        dad and his buddies between Woodward and Freedom. Lots of birds in those days but that was a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          Is there still a good quail population around there? Growing up I would quail hunt with my
                          dad and his buddies between Woodward and Freedom. Lots of birds in those days but that was a long time ago.
                          Pretty good quail population. There are a couple covies right around my stand area. I have even seen pheasants a few times over the years but very few and far between.

Comment

Good luck. Sure miss that country. Rut is in full swing here in Mid-Oklahoma.

Comment

I’m heading back up to my place in NW OK on Saturday and hopefully make it to the stand that evening. My cell cam isn’t showing much worthwhile, but I’m hoping to get some good intel from my non cell cams when I get there.

Comment

Working...
                              X