Hunting around Mason, Tx....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting around Mason, Tx....

I can't seem to get any updates on how the hunting has been so far around Mason, Tx ....I'm talking a 15-20 mile radius. What are the conditions there?
    Seeing many good deer? Are many deer coming to corn? Acorns still on trees?

Thanks,
    DV

Mason

Has Mason County ceased to exist? Maybe we just dreamed that we hunted the HMR and we are really in the "TWILIGHT ZONE"

Comment

I'm in Doss about 30 miles from Mason. Deer not hitting the feeders very hard. Still very green and lots of hAteCORNS on the ground. Yesterday and today the bucks were tailing the does all throughout the day.

Comment

Thanks ....

Yeah Wally , I don't think any of the HMR guys post here anymore. I like the last post though.....feel bad for the early season hunters, but just leaves more shooters for me later in the season...

Comment

It has been really slow just north of mason. lots of wind, acorns, and rain has kept the bucks laying low. we saw some young bucks beginning to harass doe this week and a few decent bucks have made an appearance so it looks like it may start to pick up but bow season has been tough.

Comment

I've been hearing reports of some good deer being seen following the doe in
            the Mason area. Can anyone comment on this? I've read several times that October was really tough, too many acorns and browse etc, are deer coming to corn any better lately? I'm hoping the acorns are all on the ground and going bad. Will be there in 12 days.

Comment

I guess we will be there with you. I can't believe that we have heard absolutely nothing from this year's HMR hunters. Like you said in an earlier post " Just leaves more for me"... We will be hunting with 8 or 9 this year. 2 old fogeys,(sorry Roger!) 1 middle-aged, and the balance 21 and under. Looking forward to it. See you there.

Comment

Homer Martin Ranch

Hey Wally,

When does your group start hunting? How many total hunter will you have? We have 8 in our group. We start the evening of the 13th and
                finish the morning of the 17 th.

DV

Comment

Same timeframe. We will have 8 also. Wow, 16 hunters, that's the most that I can remember there at one time. Should be interesting.

Comment

Yeah, he has said before that they like to keep it to 15 max per group.. ..
                    Guess that's not written in stone 16 won't be bad, I've been with
                    that many more than once, and it seems that everyone has room.

Comment

Hmr

I guess you got your letter from HMR - Are you going a day early?

Comment

Homer's

What letter? I got one quite a while back talking about the results last year and all that. Did you get one recently? If so , send me a copy. We sometimes go down a day early....just makes it easier, and don't have to get up so early, drive 6 hrs and try to set up a stand. Not sure if my partner is going to be able to do that this year. I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet and seeing some deer hopefully. My partner and I live in NE Tx, in Henderson.

Comment

Homer's

Hey Wally,

My buddy sent me a copy of the letter you were talking about. Apparently, Homer sent them to the group leaders, or just one in every group. It is interesting. I hope those acorns are rotting fast...

Comment

Hey guys we are going the Dec 30. I would like to hear some thing about whats happening with the deer hunting this year.If yall dont mind please reply when you return and let us know how it was. PS. dont shoot all the big ones.

Comment

Mason Results

The hunting was extremely difficult - Acorns, temperature, and wind were the "BIG 3" that ruled last weekends hunt. Vegetation and water was abundant throughout the lease. The deer did not come to the corn as usual. Did see two nice 3.5 year old 8 point bucks that just walked past my corn. Could have made shots on both, but they were not old enough. A couple of cull bucks that may have qualified did eat corn for a few seconds and left. I did manage to get a doe. Other hunters had similar experiences at different areas. Some hunters added Acorn Rage to their corn mix. This seemed to attract and interest the deer a little longer. Out of 18/19 hunters an 8 year old 10 point, (good mass- low tines) an 5.5 year old 8 point (nice buck) and the doe were harvested. Oh yeah, I forgot about the 7 point cull that was taken. One of the hunters took a bobcat and another a turkey. Don't let these numbers fool you. By Dec 30th, the acorns and grass will be gone, the temp more favorable and the deer will be recovered from the rut. They will be coming to the corn. PS - feeder 16 has been closed. The ranch manager is hunting that area...GOOD LUCK

Comment

Working...
                              X