Aggie or Red Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
    What are they planning on majoring in or are they undecided?
    This was my question above. Its like people to telling you to buy a certain hunting rig without actually understanding what it is you're hunting. Choose the University based on the student's major and the relative strength of the University in that field, not on how good the party life is or whether you went there or not.

And as others said above, trade schools make great career opportunities too
    Last edited by JonBoy; 10-12-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      What are they planning on majoring in or are they undecided?
      Majors were why we chose Tech for nursing and Arkansas for Law. Both give preference to Undergrad from there and both had higher acceptance rates for respective programs. I thought the town of Lubbock wasn't nice but my daughter was in her own world at the University other than working at On the Border. I was surprised at the lack of bars/restaurants near campus and my daughter told me nobody had enough money to eat out......they've since built some stuff but nothing like the other schools I've been to. My youngest daughter started at Tech and loved it until she met a boy from UT and transferred there, more expensive and they are no longer an item.....I was against it due to increased cost but hard to battle her and her mom, my ex.

Comment

My wife and I are both TTU alumni. Our middle son went to A&M. Both are very similar schools in many respects. What I like about both is they seem to keep a focus on morality, hard work, respect, and being a good person as a whole. Neither town, C-Stat or Lubbock would be much without their universities. So both the schools and the students are greatly appreciated by the locals. That being said, my TTU degree opened a lot of doors for me and i have been blessed with successful career. That certainly is not all related to where I got my degree. I always kid my son, as he is an engineer and his boss is a TTU grad. I regularly let him know that the TTU degree paid for his Aggie degree and gainfully employs him. IMHO you cant go wrong either way. I am naturally biased to TTU, but the Aggies are a class act too.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as most. Does he know what he wants to study? I'd start there and compare. Both, as far as I've experienced, are great universities.

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
          I think you got your answer... if you want a kid willing to work hard after they graduate send them to TTU. If you want one that just has to flash a ring to get somewhere in this world send them to A&M...
          Your statement is telling, ridiculous, and baseless. Implying that someone is not a hard worker simply because they are associated with a particular university is laughable at best.

A persons character, work ethic and resume (read experience) will always supersede where their degree may have come from (if it is even needed in the first place). However, there is a reason that there is a saying, "Its not what you know, but who." You will have a hard time in Texas finding someone that hires degreed candidates without them knowing the power of the Aggie network. Does that mean that an Aggie is a better candidate? Hell no, but it just might open the door a bit wider for the Aggie. Whether he/she pans out as an employee is a different matter entirely. I'd prefer my child to stack the cards in their favor.

Ultimately, I'd have no issue except selfish ones that would keep me from being proud that my son or daughter graduated from any university.
          Last edited by Chad_E; 10-12-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

As a parent sending my kid for an education, I wouldn't care as much about the city itself or what it has to offer, as I wont be living there. They will be there for 4-5 years and most likely out of town there after so that would play a minimal part to me. Tons of college towns are in the middle of nowhere and the city is built around the university which can make the environment even better regardless of location.

Comment

My daughter chose Tech over several other schools. Tech gave her the best deal $ wise. She had no desire to go to A&M, briefly consider UT, but felt unsafe with the way Austin has been going and quickly tossed that from consideration.

She also looked at OSU, Arkansas as well as TCU and Baylor. We/she can’t afford either private without serious scholarships so she went public school.

She’s loving it in Lubbock. I think she’d have a similar experience in College Station, but she’s happy and doing well so I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will disagree with Lubbock sucks. My son is going to Lubbock Christian. I love Lubbock,
                The drive there sucks but its big enough to have all you need but small enough that you do have that small town feel.

It would depend on you child and their personality. That distance is the hardest part of Lubbock. But if I could do my job there I would live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                  My daughter chose Tech over several other schools. Tech gave her the best deal $ wise. She had no desire to go to A&M, briefly consider UT, but felt unsafe with the way Austin has been going and quickly tossed that from consideration.

She also looked at OSU, Arkansas as well as TCU and Baylor. We/she can’t afford either private without serious scholarships so she went public school.

She’s loving it in Lubbock. I think she’d have a similar experience in College Station, but she’s happy and doing well so I love it. Son transfered from TCU to Arkansas, we were shocked at how liberal TCU is amongst numerous other complaints.

I'm surprised she chose Tech over either OSU or Arkansas. Arkansas is almost solid Texas kids. We love Stillwater but no law school.

Comment

We took our daughter to visit Tech a few years ago. She loved everything about it except the location.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                      I'm surprised she chose Tech over either OSU or Arkansas. Arkansas is almost solid Texas kids. We love Stillwater but no law school.

There were a few factors, the largest being she was in the running for a four year full ride. She made the final round and didn’t get that, but she had to commit to attending Tech to advance in that process.

There were some other considerations too.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        What do you call an Aggie a year after he graduates?
                        At my old plant we called them field operators.

Comment

Graduated from Tech 15 years ago, met life long friends and wife. Grew up north of Houston, going to Lubbock made me grow up and do things on my own.

One thing that always stuck with me "you can watch your dog run away for 3 days in Lubbock".

Comment

When our kids were in the process of choosing a college, we had them talk to older college kids a few years ahead of them that attending those schools. And also to recent graduates from those schools. And we also talked to some of those parents.
                            The most important thing for us, was did the school meet the needs of their major. And what kind of support system did the school offer when looking for a job.

Our approach was a little more methodical. Both have been out of college for a few years, and both have great jobs they love.

If you kid can get into A&M and Tech, you might look out of state too. One of our boys was accepted to Penn St. and Notre Dame, but not A&M.

Good luck, you kid will be fine either way. Having great parents is 90 percent of their likelihood of success.

Comment

TAMU all the way. No offense but Tech isn’t in the same realm.

Comment

Texas A&M was my choice after being accepted to SMU, t.u., and Sul Ross State.

My dad said, "Excellent schools. Aggies take care of Aggies."

They've always taken care of me. On my way to A&M my truck broke down and it was Aggies that stopped to help me because I had A&M Bound on my window.

It was an Aggie that gave me my first career job - because I was wearing an Aggie ring.

Aggies take care of Aggies.

Comment

Working...
                                X