Game Cams - Anyone Actually Use Video Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Cams - Anyone Actually Use Video Mode

Does anyone use the video setting on their trail cams? Maybe I've never played around with it enough, but I always stuck with pics as I figured they wouldn't take up as much memory and drain the battery as quickly. Any reason to switch to videos?

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
    Does anyone use the video setting on their trail cams? Maybe I've never played around with it enough, but I always stuck with pics as I figured they wouldn't take up as much memory and drain the battery as quickly. Any reason to switch to videos?
    I always use video
    I do ten second clips
    I do that so I can see which direction the animal is coming from
    I have my cameras set up on trails and they have slow triggers

Comment

I do on my Covert cameras at my local pig place. Love the feature. I like to use it to help me see what direction they come in with on certain winds so I can adjust my setup.....or show up on certain wind days.....
      Last edited by Smart; 08-11-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

For those using videos, do you find it eats up batteries/memory card space quicker?

Comment

I use videos, often times just a picture is not enough because it’s out of focus or blurry from movement. The videos give a better look at the animal. Definitely uses more memory, haven’t really noticed a battery difference but I run solar panels on mine.

Comment

I run some video on trails, not feeders.

Large 32GB SD card, Energizer Lithium batteries, pay kid to sort through all the false / hog videos after swapping card.

Comment

Same ideas as above, I use video mode on a property I turkey hunt. Don't hunt by the LOs feeders and the roost is on the neighbors. Videos let me take inventory and see how the birds are acting much better than the pics do. They're also fun to watch.

No difference in battery life, but these are also on field edges or in the funnel where the birds enter the property, not on feeders. Not getting hundreds of pics or tons and tons of videos. I would bet it would work the same on a game trail.

Videos take up more memory on the card, but I've never had an issue filling up a card on the camera setups described above.

Comment

I have used video over scrapes. Works great and is a very neat feature. I did not notice any excessive battery usage, but it was only for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I sent one of my Reveal X cameras a settings change about a month ago to take video and pic, then forgot about it... Of course, the cameras only send pics. They just store the videos on the card. Last weekend I swapped the cards and installed solar/battery packs on all my cell cameras. When reviewing the cards, I discovered the videos on that one camera... I have since send the setting change to all my cameras to video/pic... Those suckers are really cool!! Not worried about batteries as I run off external power/solar panel, and I have a 32 GB card in each camera. I'll be back in a month or so to replace the cards...
                  The feature for the Reveal X cameras is really nice because it takes a pic and a video. If you look at the pic and have something in the pic that sparks interest, then watch the video before and after the pic to get a much better overall view of what's going on around the area the camera is covering...

Comment

For those using videos, do you find it eats up batteries/memory card space quicker?

I have the Covert solar panel and rechargeable Amazon AAs. Haven't had to change them out in now almost 4 years....pics or video.

Comment

Some trail cam vids

Whitetails snacking on corn during a thunderstorm (30 sec)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysWRAb7JBdI"]Whitetails snacking on corn during a thunderstorm (30 sec)[/ame]

Trail cam video next to watering hole - trespassing cow, whitetails, coyotes, bobcat (7 min)
                      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Govh8kxy0"]Trail cam video next to watering hole - trespassing cow, whitetails, coyotes, bobcat (7 min) [/ame]

Another camera next to tank - hogs, whitetails, coyotes and more coyotes (4:40)

Another camera next to tank - hogs, whitetails, coyotes and more coyotes (4:40)

Comment

Working...
                      X