No announcement yet.

Cowboy hat while eating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hat stays on unless Im in the shower or sleeping.

Comment

I don't wear a hat in a restaurant or at a dinner table, cafe, home someone else's home or in church. Just how I was raised. I don't have a problem with guys wearing them in cafes and such and I'm not taking mine off to go into a store.

Comment

off indoors

Comment

[QUOTE=JTRichardson;14681649]I just don't understand the hat thing.QUOTE]

Hats were originally designed to keep the head warm, protect it from the sun, and keep the dust out of your eyes. They were removed when you went indoors to prevent the dust on the hat from getting on the furniture and floor of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
            How does removing the hat constitute manners?

Just because of the way it’s always been or if there a reason that it’s considered good manners to remove your hat?
            uh... aren't all manners social conventions that are done for the sake of showing respect for your surroundings?

Comment

I just don't understand the hat thing.

Chewing with your mouth closed is preferred because it's just gross to show people your food while eating it.

Holding the door open for a man or woman is doing them a service in a sense, so that also isn't under question here.

The hat thing doesn't seem to benefit anyone in any way from my perspective, so I was asking to see if there is something I'm missing there

My understanding of "manners" is just fine, just have questions about why things are the way they are. Especially when they make no logical sense to me.

I guess you never walked in the house after doing chores and your Grandmother said, IF YOU ARE COMING IN MY KITCHEN TO EAT YOU BETTER WASH YOUR HANDS AND TAKE THAT HAT OFF YOUNG MAN!! AND you bet I did it and didn't ask questions, THAT'S CALLED RESPECT

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                You lost me at a $600 hat.
                Whats the old saying buy once cry once. A $600 dollar hat will always look like a $600 dollar hat if taken care of. A cheap hat will fall apart. All my hats are 20X and up. The most I've spent for a hat was around $1000.00 Somebody stole that one. Kinda ****** me off.

As for the hats on or off. Formal dining like a restaurant or family dinner off. Inside church off. Inside house depends if I am going to be there awhile. Fast food joints usually leave them on.

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
                  I guess you never walked in the house after doing chores and your Grandmother said, IF YOU ARE COMING IN MY KITCHEN TO EAT YOU BETTER WASH YOUR HANDS AND TAKE THAT HAT OFF YOUNG MAN!! AND you bet I did it and didn't ask questions, THAT'S CALLED RESPECT
                  No - I lived with my parents? Why would my grandmother yell at me about a hat lol

my dad and grandpa always wore their hats all the time inside and at the table, it’s not something that was ever brought up around my family. We all said yes sir and no sir and I would venture to say I was/am a respectful person, and I was a respectful child as well.

Not sure why you seem so bent out of shape about this, I am genuinely curious about the “tradition” of this.

Comment

[quote=sotx;14681899]
                    I just don't understand the hat thing.QUOTE]

Hats were originally designed to keep the head warm, protect it from the sun, and keep the dust out of your eyes. They were removed when you went indoors to prevent the dust on the hat from getting on the furniture and floor of the house.
                    Gotcha!

This is legitimately what I’ve been asking for. Absolutely makes sense, thank you for explaining

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      uh... aren't all manners social conventions that are done for the sake of showing respect for your surroundings?
                      Sure they are, I was just looking for an explanation for this particular one, as before the other gentleman explained about the dust on the hats and not getting someone else’s furniture dusty, this particular “tradition” didn’t make any sense to me.

I couldn’t figure out how removing a hat in a particular location equated to respect.

Comment

Hats off when sitting for a meal. Find a place for it, cause it aint staying on my head.

Comment

Sure they are, I was just looking for an explanation for this particular one, as before the other gentleman explained about the dust on the hats and not getting someone else’s furniture dusty, this particular “tradition” didn’t make any sense to me.

I couldn’t figure out how removing a hat in a particular location equated to respect.
                          What if I'm alone, in my own house and don't take off my hat?

Am I disrespecting myself?

Comment

Hats off at any dinner table. Period. I put mine under my seat if I have to.

Comment

Set it under your chair.

Comment

Hats off while eating and as I said on the chair next to you or on the floor on the brim ONLY.

Comment

Working...
                                X