Need serious advice about dieing w/o a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need serious advice about dieing w/o a will

My wife's ex just passed away from Covid and they have only one child- a son. The son has been to his dad's house and hasn't found a will but did find a note where he listed items to go to certain member's of the family. He is listed on his dad's bank account so he can take care of any outstanding debts. Now my wife's ex did remarry a some years ago and I believe she had a couple of kids. This wife passed away a few years ago and I believe my wife's ex did settle with her kids on part of the estate already. I am suggesting, since there is no will, that my wife's son go to a lawyer to see what he legally needs to do to protect himself in case his dad's second wife's kids come back and try to cash in, although there really isn't much to cash in on. I know there is a lot of wisdom and experience on the green screen so wondering if what I am suggesting seems reasonable and the right thing to do.

See a estate attorney asap. You don't need any more advice.

Comment

Yes

Get an attorney that specializes in probate, estate planning and tax law. They will need to more than likely do a proceeding To Determine Heirship.

Comment

I'd find a lawyer.
        Also look into Texas Intestate Laws

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          See a estate attorney asap. You don't need any more advice.
          I agree totally. Just ask around to find a reputable lawyer, well one that people are satisfied with and good luck with that. I just went through this with my dad and thought i had a decent one but it didn't pan out.

Comment

Sitting in that puddle right now. Lawyer up....................

Comment

There are quite a few hoops to jump through on this. He needs to be appointed Independent Administrator so that the bills can continue to be paid. Should be semi easy as long as he is the only heir.

Comment

Yup. An attorney is in your future, yesterday!

Comment

Lawyer up, preferably with one certified in Probate law.

Comment

Save money, get legal advice here.

Comment

Don't know if it's been said yet, but get an attorney

Comment

Hope he is able to find a will but either way he will need professional help unless it was recently updated and done correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Save money, get legal advice here.
                          Right?!!! What's the worst that could happen?

The advice on here is good but when some say "find a good attorney", "ask around to find a good attorney", where do you look? Who do you ask? It does seem like a crap shoot. Maybe someone(s) on here could give the gent a referral?

Comment

You could prop him up long enough to get him to a lawyer and fill out a will.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weabernys.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24662414

Or you could get a lawyer.

Comment

I do agree that you need to seek professional advice as mentioned above, however if you arent talking about a lot of money you can burn through it pretty quick getting lawyers involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X