Axis quest....the final chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis quest....the final chapter

The last day of the lease is July 6th. My grandson's BD party is the 5th. So, that last weekend is definately out. I could have waited for this weekend and hunted til Thursday, but I figured I would be alone the whole time. The third weekend was our Junco weekend. I decided to take off the following week. Bobby, Blade and I would fill the feeders on the Junco and I should be on my way to the lease by noon Saturday. Originally, my plan was to do three ranches in 10 days, ending at San Angelo. My hunt at the axis lease ran so long and hard, that I was just too pooped to handle several days of humping protein and corn. The San Angelo deer will just have to wait.

I just got in, so there's pics to be captured and stories to tell. First, I have to wait until my wife clears my garage so I can unpack and get the Ranger in the garage. Later.

At least a teaser?

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
      ........ First, I have to wait until my wife clears my garage so I can unpack and get the Ranger in the garage. Later.
      I love this line.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Doc, I don't know you but through the Green Screen, but I was thinking about you earlier today. These Axis Quest threads are awesome. Can't wait to read more!

Why was I thinking about you? I had an idea for a feeder filler that just might work really well. When I get one built I want you to field test it for me. The idea popped into my head and I thought of you (and me) hauling bags up a ladder or off the tailgate filling feeders.

I drew a sketch and everthing

Comment

Great. I'm getting too old for the manual labor stuff. This last week I had my nephew blade to do all the heavy lifting. He's STRONG and I worked his butt off. LOL. Maybe let him kill a cull at the Junco. He earned it.

Comment

This was a week that started out kind of iffy. A case of "almosts". Started badly when I went through my complete laundry regimen getting ready for my camo as the finale. I ran several loads of towels, then underwear and stuff in A&H perfume and dye free and dried them with no dryer sheets. Thursday morning, after my camo had run the second cycle with a second soap (can't be too careful with these animals), I got up to put them in the drier with an earth sheet. I opened the drier door and there, before my eyes, was a drier sheet. I asked the wife if she used the drier and she said "The drier belongs to everyone and yes I did". Crud. Too late to start over and I didn't want to put my clothes in the drier with a fresh drier sheet. I bit my tongue and loaded the clothes in a garbage bag. The Junco gets REALLY hot this time of year. They dried in minutes as I spread them out.

Another "almost" was on the way to the axis lease. As I was leaving Uvalde, I put my cruise on about 71 mph and was just casually tooling down the road. An oncoming Highway Patrol pulled over and turned started to turn around. He had to wait for traffic and I didn't see him again until he pulled up behind me and turned on his lights. What was I doing? Inspection sticker current. Liscense current. No warrants out for my arrest. I wasn't speeding, or if I was it wasn't but a mph.

He walked to the window and asked me to follow him to the back of my truck. I asked him what I did and he said we'd discuss it out of traffic. (No traffic). He said I was speeding and would give me a warning. I told him I had my cruise on 70 (acutally 71 and I didn't even hit the brake to take it off cruise when he pulled over to turn because I KNEW he wasn't after me.) He said I was doing 74. NO WAY. I didn't argue because he said it was a warning, but I WAD NOT doing 72, much less 74. So, I almost got a ticket.

You know how they say things run in 3's? Well, the "almosts" do too.

Comment

Keep it coming doc. This has been an awesome summer hunting series!

Comment

surely we don't have to wait 'til morning to hear more

Comment

well, you almost ....got us ALL hooked for another Axis Quest!!

Comment

I have to capture pics in chronological order. So, since I'm beat (I finally got to the garage and got my stuff unpacked), the story will continue tomorrow, at least until we have to go to Mailman's house and put up a swingset.

However, here's a pic of a buck I REALLY wanted to kill. James said we'll call him One Eyed Jack. His left eye looks like it's out. He's a super axis. He came within 30 yards, but all my shooting holes were filled with other axis and whitetails, and he sauntered off. I didn't get him, but saw him one more time which will be later in the script. LOL For your viewing pleasure, One Eyed Jack. Good spread. Good cottles. Good beams. Good mass. Good brows. Heck of an axis. Almost

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00874.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	23845479

Name:	DSC00875.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	23845480

Name:	DSC00878.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	23845481

You rascal, I know where you live. Next year.

Comment

do you need some help with the swing set? Maybe that will get the story on here sooner.

Comment

Dang Doc, you have some luck. Some great, some not so good...
                          What's the word??? Did you get him??? I can't wait till tomorrow!!
                          We love you stories and pics so keep them coming.

Comment

I'm seeing spots waiting on the finale.

Comment

Patiences is a virtue ....I guess! lol
                              Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X