Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Burning Stove in Spray in Insulation Barndo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Burning Stove in Spray in Insulation Barndo?

I'm looking for information on this. We are building a barndo/cabin at our new place in May and we did spray in insulation. I would like to install a wood burning stove to have a fire and supplement the heat a little (we have central heat & air) but the AC guy we are using was really concerned about this. He said the spray in seals so tight that there isn't enough air movement to allow a draft and he thinks there will be carbon monoxide issues as well.

Does anybody have any experience in that area? It would be great if we could find somebody to install it but at a minimum I'm looking for advice and information on what we can do. Thanks in advance.

Our house has spray in foam and we have a wood burning stove. We used it non-stop for a couple of weeks. I'm still alive. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Our house has spray in foam and we have a wood burning stove. We used it non-stop for a couple of weeks. I'm still alive. lol
      Ha. Did they do anything special for ventilation? Do you turn your heater off when you are using it? I have heard the return air will suck the smoke out into the room if you aren't careful.

Comment

I turn the heat down. I know the stove keeps the house at 72-73 degrees. I set the heat at 70 so if the fire runs low during the night the heater turns on. Never any smoke issues.

They added a air pipe but I thought that was standard to get air to the fire.

My wild guess would be you'd need a really small house/barn to get enough carbon monoxide build up. Maybe an expert will chime in.

Comment

He might be onto something. I had a house that the fireplace wouldn't work unless we opened a window. You could keep it going with the gas on but if you turned the gas off, the logs would go out and the house would get smokey.

I'd get a monitor and have a way to add some ventilation if the need arises.

Comment

When you spray foam, you will have to be able to bring in fresh air.

This includes your gas furnace, gas water heater, gas stove, and fireplace.

Comment

We have spray foam in our attic under the metal roof... It's like an igloo up there it's so tight... We put in small louvers to allow some air circulation in the attic. We also have a wood burning stove, one of the modern catalytic ones, and with the proper chimney, it draws extremely well... With a fire going in the stove, I can open the damper for about 15 seconds, then open the front door of the stove wide open... absolutely zero smoke in the house... It also has a side door (the one I use the most) that I can open to put in new wood... If your chimney is sized right for the stove and properly installed with at least 2 feet of elevation above anything near it (roof peaks, trees, etc,) it should draw good enough you never get smoke in the house. With no fire in ours, and a cold ash bed, if you open both doors to the stove, the draft is good enough that it will blow around the ash and try to suck it up the chimney...
              Ours is a Jotul F5-Oslo-V3... If I was going to put in another one somewhere, I'd get the same stove! Sucker will hold a 24" log and stuffed full at bed time will burn all night.

Comment

just a question; don't garage doors leak a little air?

Comment

If they're roll up doors, they pour air!

Comment

tagged

Comment

You'll need "make up air" for it to work efficiently. That can be as simple as cracking a window, or far more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                        just a question; don't garage doors leak a little air?
                        The garage is outside the "capsule".

Comment

I was told you can put vents in

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                            I was told you can put vents in

Yep, they're call winders... See Dale's post above...

Comment

I built a house a few years ago and they added a fresh air pump. It kicked on about once an hour an ran a couple of minutes

Comment

Working...
                              X