Info needed about campers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info needed about campers

Looking at getting into the camping world. My only previous experience with campers was a 30’ fifth wheel that I used for one trip. I am looking for something to take on trips to the beach and other places while hauling my grandkids around. I looked at some Jayco models this weekend and liked the Whitehawk model but I do not know anything about best brands or brands to avoid. Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a Jayco. I like it a lot. Grand Design are another good one to look at, that was our number 2 choice. We had a Forest River pop up before this camper, and I will for sure buy another forest river pop up just for elk camp.

Whatever brand you go, meet the service department. We bought the Jayco from a local dealership, and it is a train wreck both times we brought it in for warranty work. I will type out each item that need, email it to them, bring a paper copy, and watch them type each item into the computer. And somehow, they STILL fail to complete the entire list over a two month period. So long story short, whatever dealer you go to, make sure their service dept doesn't suck.

In all honesty, no matter the brand you buy, you are going to have minor things you need to take care of while camping. Two trips ago, the outdoor faucet fell apart on ours. I capped the line, and we enjoyed the rest of the trip. It just happens. Carry fuses too.

Comment

They are all junk. Jayco and Grand Design seems to be less junky. With that being said I want a GD 31MB bad, but holly cow they are sky rocketing in price.

Comment

If they have an animal name or a flat roof....stay away!

Comment

We have a Zinger Crossroads and love it. They are all junk IMHO. Anytime you take them somewhere it's like hauling it through a tornado. However if you stay on top of things that go wrong and get them fixed, they will last. We go to the service department have them order whatever and then schedule a date WHEN they get our parts in, that way we can still use it.

Comment

Wife and I drug a trailer to New Mexico for 16 years from Michigan. I bought a new Sportsman, 23 foot travel trailer. Pure junk. Had to take it back at year 2 for a new roof. These things are stapled together and as you drag it down the road you are swaying side to side and the staples came loose. I can't tell you how many staples I super glued back in to place.

My wife passed away 2 years ago so I sold it. I m leaning on a Cargo trailer to take to archery shoots and will put the inside together right if I go that way. The Cargo trailer would serve as a double use trailer.

Comment

I'm not sure if I would want to buy new one at this time. The factories are pumping them out as fast as possible which means quality control will decline as well. They are all pretty much built the same based on what I've seen. Either way, keep a tool kit handy because something will always break or leak. I have an older bumper pull that hasn't given me too much trouble. Anything that breaks has been pretty easily fixed. I would look at the used market right now, if you can find one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                If they have an animal name or a flat roof....stay away!
                All flat or almost flat will leak sooner than later..and most cases its AC or skylight...vent sometimes

Comment

andre3k reminded me that my grandson works at one of the factories in Indiana and they are on a 2 week shut down because of lack of parts. They were working 3 shifts throwing these things together. And the dealers are not giving away any deals because of the demand.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the consensus is that problems will happen with campers regardless of company.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac5dawg View Post
                      Thanks for the replies. Seems like the consensus is that problems will happen with campers regardless of company.

They have made it sound much worse than it is.

I grew up with a small Motorhome, got a 31’ camper when my kids were small (still have it) and now enjoy traveling in a Class A Coach.

Yes, things will need repair and yes staying on preventive maintenance is key but campers in general are very enjoyable.

Getting dealer service is the greatest headache so research the dealer as much as the camper!

Comment

I have a Flagstaff 25FBLS and love it. We've had it for a year and did 4,000 mile trip through Utah this summer. Our only problems so far has been a small leak right at the bathroom fan. A little Dicor and all is good there. We also had a couple of stripped screws in a couple of cabinets. Everyone we talked to before getting ours said the same thing. Learn to fix the minor stuff yourself.

Comment

We have this unit: https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/23bhe

It's been great so far. A few things have needed minor fixes, but nothing a few minutes didn't take care of. Used it for grandkid trips and for Colorado back country trip. Got it just as the covid shutdowns were starting, so we beat the rush and stupid high prices.

Comment

#1 - Focus on and maintain your roof, vents.
                            #2 - If you are getting a towable, switch out the China bomb tires immediately to a high quality tire.
                            #3 - Make a ton of great memories with your family and friends.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are all junk and slapped together with Brad nails and sheetrock type screws
                              Best thing you can do is recoat the roof every year w elastomeric paint
                              Once you get any kind of leak you might as well sell it as they rot

Comment

Working...
                              X