• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
    So his trailer can’t be more than 21000? I’m trying to understand. Thanks
    20,000 on a farm trailer no cdl.

Comment

You can also get any new trailer and have it de-rated to 16k that would give you better brakes and running gear will be nowhere near its max.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
        So his trailer can’t be more than 21000? I’m trying to understand. Thanks
        His truck has a 10K GVWR. Legally he can’t hook up to any trailer with a GBWR over 16,000.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          Running a 2008 Mahindra cab 7010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok that only weighs 6300 and the shredder maybe half that but look it up to be sure. That would be only 10k of load so a trailer with 16k GVWR is fine.

But I’d still get one with 22k GVWR and have it de-rated to 16k. Tandems are more stable that singles so that will help since your running a 3/4 ton.
          Last edited by justintyme8303; 08-01-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            His truck has a 10K GVWR. Legally he can’t hook up to any trailer with a GBWR over 16,000.
            Unless he's pulling a farm trailer and is pulling within 150 miles of his operation.

Comment

Im screwed I haul cattle. tractors. multi machines farm tags no brakes and seldom lights, just use arm signals

Comment

The easiest way to explain it that applies in *most* situations with newer trucks (2010+) and trailers that haven’t been de rated or anything:

Single wheel truck pulling 14k lb single tandem trailer (4 8 lug rims) = no cdl needed

Any truck pulling dual tandem trailer (8 8 lug rims) = need cdl

Dually pulling anything with 8 lug axles = technically need cdl

Farm tags exempt you, but be sure you’re within 150 miles of the farm (IIRC) and doing actual farm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  Unless he's pulling a farm trailer and is pulling within 150 miles of his operation.
                  Technically he still need a Class Drivers License (Not Class A CDL) to qualify for that exemption. Never enforced, but he specifically asked what’s legal for a Class C drivers license.

Comment

Farm plates do not get you out of having to have a Class A when the GVWR of truck/trailer add up to 26,001lbs or more. They used to but that is a thing of the past.

Comment

I see mescans pulling a tractor on a trailer behind a Pinto
                      Go for it

Comment

I have a class B non commercial license good for anything over 26K, if you tow over 10K you'll need a class A non commercial assuming you're not driving for pay.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Assuming you have a 3.55 gear ratio, your max trailer weight is going to be 12,500 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. I'd go to your nearest truck stop and weigh your truck with you and a full tank of fuel (your 35 gallon tank will be 280 lbs, full). Then, load your trailer as you normally would and weigh it, properly positioned on the scale so you get a weight for the front and rear axle of the truck and the total trailer weight.

Comment

I am probably crazy

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
                            The easiest way to explain it that applies in *most* situations with newer trucks (2010+) and trailers that haven’t been de rated or anything:

Single wheel truck pulling 14k lb single tandem trailer (4 8 lug rims) = no cdl needed

Any truck pulling dual tandem trailer (8 8 lug rims) = need cdl

Dually pulling anything with 8 lug axles = technically need cdl

Farm tags exempt you, but be sure you’re within 150 miles of the farm (IIRC) and doing actual farm stuff.
                            That a pretty good rule of thumb.
                            I have never owned a duelly truck , but have had a couple of different things I have moved with 1 ton or 3/4 single that once I hooked up and got on the road I have had major doubts about my sanity .
                            1. was a mobile office building 12 x 40 that needed a moving permit ( I could only make 50mph with a duramax on freeway and stopping needed major planning)
                            2. Was a rice combine
                            3 was a 3/4 ton gas with a bumper pull 16ft dump trailer ( scary heavy full )

Comment

OP to stay under the CDL or Class A Non CDL requirement, you need to stay under 26,001lbs GCVWR. Your F-250 has 10,000 GVWR so your trailer needs to have a GVWR of no more than 16,000lbs in order to not have a Class A. You can buy a new trailer with 2-7k axles and be fine. If it has 2-8k axles, make sure the GVWR is no more than 16,000lbs. If you buy a trailer with 2-10k axles, the dealer can have the MFG down rate it to 16,000 lbs. When you down rate a trailer you will lose some carry capacity but you stay out of CDL or Class A requirement. The best thing to do is figure what your tractor/equipment weighs and how long it is. Basically you are threading a needle when down rating a trailer to stay out of CDL/Class A requirement. I cant count the number of times people have come in after being stopped by DPS and parked because they did not have a CDL and the combination is 26,001 and over. Most were parked until a CDL driver could pick up the combo or pull it with their truck and have CDL. The Farm exempt plates do not get you out of this requirement, the laws have changed. The other law that is not well known is that you can not be over 65' from font of truck to the rear of trailer or load if it hangs over past rear of trailer. A good rough payload capacity of a 3/4 ton and a 32' trailer to stay under CDL is 10,000lbs cargo weight. To get it accurate you need to weigh your truck empty but have the normal tools and people in it and do the same on the trailer. I help customers with this more times than I can count each month. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. Its much easier to talk vs typing all this out.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                                I have a class B non commercial license good for anything over 26K, if you tow over 10K you'll need a class A non commercial assuming you're not driving for pay.
                                Class B does not allow for pulling a trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X