Crazy year already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy year already

I waited to start bowhunting because everyone else on the ranch rifle hunts. At a time in my life when I need to stay out of trees, I made the decision to buy "popups" and hunt them. First time with a bow!!! Season opened Saturday and I headed to the blind with a feeder in a tree 22 yards away. As I approached the area to throw out extra corn, I shook the feeder. In quick response a small buck came running in. From trail cam I knew it was a freak that needed harvesting and on my hit list but not on the first sit and warm weather. So I picked up some rocks to run him off and yes I have lost my fast ball. As he retreated a few extra yards, I got in my blind and watched him and some other bigger bucks the rest of the evening.

Wednesday I went to my other blind to change batteries in trail cam. I noticed some of the cage around bottom of the feeder needed repair. With wire and pliers in hand from the pickup parked just outside the feed pen, I went to work. I heard a noise half way through and look up at a doe standing in the gap not 15 yards away. She was interested in what I was doing and probably hoping I would shake corn and pellets out of the feeder. She was in great shape and didn't look to be starving. I finished my work and tested the feeder which ran both of us off but she quickly returned and did not care that I stood by the pickup to watch a while. She also didn't care about anything I had to say. She did leave when I drove away but I saw her return in my mirrors.

I don't understand why wild deer suddenly become so fearless. Even though it is dry now, they seem to be in very good shape. This buck and doe were less fearful than the ones I feed in the front yard. Thought you would like to hear about this.

Wish some with that disposition would come by my feeder!

Comment

Working...
    X