‘01 Dodge Diesel 6 Speed: 3 Clutches In <5,000 Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘01 Dodge Diesel 6 Speed: 3 Clutches In <5,000 Miles

A buddy at work has replaced 3 clutches in <5K miles with his HO Cummins 6 speed. 60K miles on the truck. Most recent one is a Southbend Stage 2, which lasted maybe 500 miles.
    What the heck could be causing this?
    Thanks.

Has he had the flywheel replaced?

It can cause an issue if a previous clutch was smoked. I learned this the hard way years ago.

Comment

Did he resurface the flywheel?
      Improper adjustment?
      Slave cylinder not allowing complete engagement?

Comment

Warped flywheel or riding the clutch to much, is the truck stock or running a tuner?

Comment

As said above warped flywheel, anytime replacing clutch it’s a good idea to have resurfaced.

Comment

Flywheel was replaced with the Southbend install.
            Truck is bone stock.

Comment

Was the clutch fork replaced as well? I’ve seen a few that didn’t hold the throw out bearing correctly and it would eat the bearing and clutch up. Does the truck shudder when engaging at low rpms or in reverse? Did the slave cylinder get upgraded with the south bend?

Comment

is his son driving the truck?

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                  Was the clutch fork replaced as well? I’ve seen a few that didn’t hold the throw out bearing correctly and it would eat the bearing and clutch up. Does the truck shudder when engaging at low rpms or in reverse? Did the slave cylinder get upgraded with the south bend?
                  Clutch fork wasn’t replaced. Slave cylinder wasn’t replaced. He said the ROM’s looked like “it had a heartbeat”. Like it was grabbing, releasing, grabbing, releasing, etc. It does not shudder at low RPM or reverse.

We appreciate all the input!

Comment

Is it a dual disk south bend clutch? The slipping like that makes me wonder if the slave is not releasing all the way and keeping pressure on the fork.

Comment

Singles or duals?

I’ve hAd both and both have been in higher hp applications with no issues.

I replace the fly wheel Evertime. I recommend just to buy the kit that way it’s done with all new parts. The only thing that’s not replaced is the hydraulics.

Comment

This is the clutch kit he got and it was installed by a competent diesel shop.
                        Free Shipping - South Bend Clutch Dyna Max Organic Clutch Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Clutch Kits at Summit Racing.

Comment

Riding with foot rested on the clutch cause it?

Comment

Maybe the snout that the throw out bearing rides on could be binding. Not letting the fingers fully release.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                              is his son driving the truck?
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X