texas draws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

texas draws

is it better to sign up as a group or individual.

does the group increase odds?

example one person = once chance
    group 4 of 4= 4 chances

A group application doesn't make your chances go from 1 chance to 4. You're entire group is only on one "card" not four separate cards. So it's still going to be one application in the system whether you apply as a group or individually.

Preference points will be averaged out for the group.

Edit:

I will say I'm not entirely sure what would happen if they drew an application with 4 names on it and only had one or two permits left for that particular hunt (all other permits had already been drawn). If anyone knows for sure I'd be curious to know.
    Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-07-2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
      A group application doesn't make your chances go from 1 chance to 4. You're entire group is only on one "card" not four separate cards. So it's still going to be one application in the system whether you apply as a group or individually.

Preference points will be averaged out for the group.

Edit:

I will say I'm not entirely sure what would happen if they drew an application with 4 names on it and only had one or two permits left for that particular hunt (all other permits had already been drawn). If anyone knows for sure I'd be curious to know.
      From what I've heard, they do not exceed the permit quota so the group of four in your example would not be drawn because there were only 2 available permits.

Comment

One way it was presented to me by someone who claimed they asked TPWD was that each hunter was entered into the system individually. The claim was that a group with the same averaged points as a single hunter has better odds of drawing than a single hunter. I argued that this was not the way they did it and he probably misunderstood how it was explained.

Group example:
        Hunter A 4 points
        Hunter B 2 points
        Creates a combined average of 3 points.
        Hunter A goes into the system with hunter B 3 times.
        Hunter B goes into system with hunter A 3 times.
        So there would really be 6 entries into the system.
        If one gets drawn it cancels out the points for both hunters.

Hunter C Single applicant with 3 points would go into the system 3 times.

My belief was that the software drew by application and adjusted individuals point totals separately, but honestly I do not know. Also though not included in the example, I know points are now cubed.

Comment

also i would assume if you have 4 people and theres 6 tags, after 3 are picked and your group hasnt been then you will have no chance with the 3 remaining tags.

Comment

And another one to throw in there when researching application odds. The number of previous year applicants per number of permits drawn is grossly misleading if used to determine your chance of drawing now that points are cubed. For example one applicant with 20 loyalty points is going into the draw with 8000 points.

Comment

I don't know. I just throw my dice and take my chances.

Comment

It does not matter

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Youth Alligator deadline is Monday if anybody was planning on putting their kid in that category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would like to see a system where a certain percentage of the permits go to applicants with a set amount of points (for example 15 or more) and then the rest of the permits are drawn with all applicants. This would give some added benefit to people that have been applying for a long time. I don’t see TPWD doing that but seems like a better system to me than just total random where the points make little difference.

Comment

Still waiting on the tpwd to add a senior division.

Comment

Originally posted by Cox1 View Post
                        I would like to see a system where a certain percentage of the permits go to applicants with a set amount of points (for example 15 or more) and then the rest of the permits are drawn with all applicants. This would give some added benefit to people that have been applying for a long time. I don’t see TPWD doing that but seems like a better system to me than just total random where the points make little difference.
                        They have already given added benefit to people who have been applying for a long time. They are cubing preference points.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                          Youth Alligator deadline is Monday if anybody was planning on putting their kid in that category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I applied my son at Sea rim state park. Not going to lie though...if we get drawn I have no clue on what the heck I'll be doing. I've researched it but no real world experience.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Still waiting on the tpwd to add a senior division.

I'm in favor of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                              They have already given added benefit to people who have been applying for a long time. They are cubing preference points.
                              That’s true but as I mentioned it’s seems to have little benefit when you consider how many people have never drawn even with 20 plus years of applying and others are drawn on the first try. Obviously it’s set up as a random lottery and once they changed it to online apps with unlimited applications per category the odds of drawing became significantly less even with the cubed points. My preference would be that a certain percentage of permits are guaranteed to go to long term applicants who have paid for preference points not just more tickets in the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                              X