Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 07-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #201
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I'd be curious to know the number of NonRes applicants each year. Although limited opportunity, Texas is by far the cheapest state for a NonRes to apply to. I wish TPWD would up the ante for NR to apply, even just doubling the $3 app to $6 or limited the number of hunts a NR can apply for in a given category.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #202
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I'd be curious to know the number of NonRes applicants each year. Although limited opportunity, Texas is by far the cheapest state for a NonRes to apply to. I wish TPWD would up the ante for NR to apply, even just doubling the $3 app to $6 or limited the number of hunts a NR can apply for in a given category.
And require NR license purchase to apply, like other states
Bighorn sheep draw I have mixed emotions if NR can apply, but that’s a knee jerk reaction to how New Mexico, Arizona, Wyoming
Idaho, treat NR hunters nowadays

And TP&W Texas has a Aoudad problem open up some more hunts

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-08-2022 at 12:37 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #203
JackRyan
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I remember hearing the director of TPWD address this on a podcast. He gave the percentage and it was extremely low.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #204
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
I remember hearing the director of TPWD address this on a podcast. He gave the percentage and it was extremely low.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I would expect it to be. Other states are much more desirable with the draw hint offering and odd than Texas is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #205
Jon-Paul
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I would expect it to be. Other states are much more desirable with the draw hint offering and odd than Texas is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike - Can you check your PM's?
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #206
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

Got my son applied for all the youth hunts. He's been lucky in drawing or standby hunting so I'm hoping his luck continues.

I applied us (grown daughter, son and myself) on the adult hunts that they can attend. Some applications just two of us some all three of us.

I applied for a couple hunts with my dad. The exotic hunts at Mason Mountain. He's not really able to get out and go like he use to so he just wants me to apply him for specific hunts. I'll end up putting him in on a couple more that I think he'd enjoy and be able to do.

Now I've gotta apply for hunts myself. Have a couple buddies that want to apply with me so I'll probably put them in on some of the applications.
BradBryant1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #207
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

The youth hunts are always hard for my son and myself to decide on. There's a few specific spots he always wants to try for so we do those first. But then it gets hard to narrow it down on some of them so we go with his gut feeling on what areas to apply. I guess I kinda get why they only allow you three applications per category (on the youth) but it sure makes it hard to choose sometimes.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:15 PM   #208
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
The youth hunts are always hard for my son and myself to decide on. There's a few specific spots he always wants to try for so we do those first. But then it gets hard to narrow it down on some of them so we go with his gut feeling on what areas to apply. I guess I kinda get why they only allow you three applications per category (on the youth) but it sure makes it hard to choose sometimes.

Make sure you get him signed up with TYHP.org if heís not already. He just needs his hunter education completed and yíall can apply for lots of awesome hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2022, 08:55 PM   #209
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
Make sure you get him signed up with TYHP.org if he’s not already. He just needs his hunter education completed and y’all can apply for lots of awesome hunts.

It's a really solid program overall. I try and tell a lot of people that I know about it. Believe it or not I've had a hard time convincing people to apply with them.

My son went on 3 hunts with them in 2019. We drew one and got asked to go on the other two due to cancelations. One we actually got called on a Wednesday afternoon asking if we could be there on Friday. The other hunt we got asked about 10 days out. We didn't apply in 2020 for various reasons plus they didn't has as many hunts. Last year we just didn't draw a hunt through TYHP but that's ok because he went on some through TPWD draw system.

The hunt he drew he got really sick Friday night. Tried sticking it out but he was just as sick Saturday morning so we didn't get to hunt. The one hunt that we got a call about he shot 2 whitetail does and an axis buck. Really awesome weekend to say the least.

Edit:

3rd hunt he just wasn't lucky. Most everyone saw several deer and killed a deer (I think 6 out of 8 killed something). Just wasn't in the cards for him that weekend. Still a very fun weekend.

Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-10-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #210
Chad C
Pope & Young

The H dude and Berk (her first year of eligibility) are signed up for more than 18 opportunities. I only put in for them including private lands and general draws. I think its a neat opportunity for them to see areas of the state they don't normally get to see.

TYHP is a solid program, but it hasn't been an easy draw for H thus far. His first year we got lucky and I just happened to be talking to one of the coordinators when they were looking to fill a hunt and he drew the Freeman Ranch last season. They prefer new hunters with little experience, IMHO. Which is great.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #211
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
The H dude and Berk (her first year of eligibility) are signed up for more than 18 opportunities. I only put in for them including private lands and general draws. I think its a neat opportunity for them to see areas of the state they don't normally get to see.

TYHP is a solid program, but it hasn't been an easy draw for H thus far. His first year we got lucky and I just happened to be talking to one of the coordinators when they were looking to fill a hunt and he drew the Freeman Ranch last season. They prefer new hunters with little experience, IMHO. Which is great.
I agree about the new hunters getting first priority through TYHP and I think that is awesome. Gotta get new blood into the sport of hunting. We're very limited on what we actually apply for now for that reason. I do call and tell them that any last minute spots come open due to cancelations that we're more than happy to go.

TPWD hunts I put my son in for everything I can. Like you mentioned it's cool to hunt other areas of the state you might not otherwise get a chance to hunt.

Last edited by BradBryant1000; 07-11-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #212
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
I agree about the new hunters getting first priority and I think that is awesome. Gotta get new blood into the sport of hunting. I only applied for 2 or 3 hunts through them last year mainly for that reason (wanted new people to hunt instead of my son who's got to do a lot of hunting).
Agreed. I only put H in for a select few. He drew the one we really wanted in the Freeman. The history of that ranch alone made it worth while. The cool thing about him drawing the Freeman is that once Berk comes of age, she is basically a shoe in to get drawn for that hunt and he'll get to go back.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2022, 02:32 PM   #213
BradBryant1000
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Agreed. I only put H in for a select few. He drew the one we really wanted in the Freeman. The history of that ranch alone made it worth while. The cool thing about him drawing the Freeman is that once Berk comes of age, she is basically a shoe in to get drawn for that hunt and he'll get to go back.
Sorry I edited on you. Didn't realize you quoted me.

I've tried to get several people that we know that are new to hunting to apply and mention my son (on the referral deal like you brought up). Told them on their first hunt through the program we could probaly hunt together at the same place. Said we'd carpool to save gas etc and that I'd help them out during the hunt as much as I could. Can't convince them to do it.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:29 AM   #214
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

On Richland Creek, they are now called Trinity Unit and Carl Frentress Unit.
Anybody know which is the old north and south unit?
I tried looking it up, but both have the same description and doesnít say north or south of Hwy 287.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:30 PM   #215
WinslowBoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
On Richland Creek, they are now called Trinity Unit and Carl Frentress Unit.
Anybody know which is the old north and south unit?
I tried looking it up, but both have the same description and doesnít say north or south of Hwy 287.
Carl Frentress is the North and Trinity is the South.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #216
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBoy View Post
Carl Frentress is the North and Trinity is the South.
Thank you!!!
Old 07-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #217
MesquiteBean
Eight Point

Made my yearly donation. Never been drawn, hoping this will be my year.

MesquiteBean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #218
Roperyoung
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler county, Uvalde county, Burnet county

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteBean View Post
Made my yearly donation. Never been drawn, hoping this will be my year.

how many years?
Roperyoung is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #219
MesquiteBean
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roperyoung View Post
how many years?

I believe this is my sixth year. Sure it wonít happen though.

MesquiteBean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM   #220
NDN98
Eight Point

Made my yearly donation. Drew 3 hunts in 2020, nothing last year, but hopeful this year with double digits in multiple categories. Anything that I have 10+ points for, I am very selective in what I apply for.
NDN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 10:19 AM   #221
C-dubyah
Eight Point

I have a boy coming in late October so my hunt season will be thin. I made a deal with the wife, I put in on the most desirable hunts thinking I am only building points for the future but if I get picked then I will go. She agreed with an angry look on her face. I will check back on how this works out if I do get picked.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #222
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dubyah View Post
I have a boy coming in late October so my hunt season will be thin. I made a deal with the wife, I put in on the most desirable hunts thinking I am only building points for the future but if I get picked then I will go. She agreed with an angry look on her face. I will check back on how this works out if I do get picked.
Good luck!! More with your wife if you get drawn! Lol

I drew a hunt 2 weeks after my little boy was born, but luckily it was a local one to me and as long as I promised I would be back each night after the hunt, she reluctantly agreed! So it can be done
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 12:29 PM   #223
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
I could predict the results.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 12:36 PM   #224
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Anyone know what happened to Colorado bend, they really cut the hunts & permits #’s
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #225
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Quote:
Haha!! Did the same thing in 18. My newborn son was going through some medical issues, so I told the wife I was only putting in the best hunts. Of course I drew Palo Duro Canyon exotic.

I still hear about that from the wife
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 07:48 PM   #226
Rounder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Anyone know what happened to Colorado bend, they really cut the hunts & permits #’s
Not sure on the permits but saw they are only allowing processed feed (no corn) which is a change.

Also, their first youth GDE hunt dates are when the kids are still in school during the week so guessing that is incorrect.
Rounder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2022, 11:11 PM   #227
RGV Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Don't you know that a true hunter is suppose to practice abstinence during the months of January through April!

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #228
KLAPPER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
Not sure on the permits but saw they are only allowing processed feed (no corn) which is a change.

Also, their first youth GDE hunt dates are when the kids are still in school during the week so guessing that is incorrect.

My son ďhadĒ to miss 4 days of school last year for his big bend mule deer hunt it was Monday - Thursday

KLAPPER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #229
StickFlinger
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF/Hemphill

I'm new to all this draw jazz, I get all the points and hoo-blah. Is the Granger PHL draw actually just a PHL zone that you get drawn to have access for the season? Judging by it being archery only with a nearly 60% success it must be pretty populated?
StickFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #230
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Did my annual donation
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #231
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Made my donation again. With the maximum 38 points cubed maybe I'll finally draw the chaparral.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #232
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Made my donation again. With the maximum 38 points cubed maybe I'll finally draw the chaparral.

Hope-n the best for ya.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #233
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post

If you donít, Iím going to through a **** fit for you!

Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #234
Yakinthebox
Six Point

Hunt In: Upper TX Coast/Wherever I Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
For Powderhorn, I wouldn't be going for the WT, it would be for the Sambar. But if they do more trapping this summer, I may not apply there due to the reduction in Sambar numbers...which is their goal.
Man, if their "Goal" was to eradicate then there would be an unlimited limit instead of 1 Sambar. I think they actually don't want them eradicated due to the already mentioned cash cow. I think they just say they want them eradicated because that is their "Mission"...

Just my .02
Yakinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2022, 11:31 PM   #235
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

when will they draw for Hagerman?
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #236
OrangeBlood
Ten Point

Hunt In: where the deer are

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
when will they draw for Hagerman?
Deadline is 9/1 and I'm pretty sure they draw like the next day. I looked back through my mail and I bought my permit on 9/3 last year.
OrangeBlood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #237
camoclad
Ten Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinthebox View Post
Man, if their "Goal" was to eradicate then there would be an unlimited limit instead of 1 Sambar. I think they actually don't want them eradicated due to the already mentioned cash cow. I think they just say they want them eradicated because that is their "Mission"...

Just my .02
Exactly. I'm in it for the exotics lol
Can kill a WT anywhere. I'll never get a big horn, prolly an aoudad. Axis taste good good. Nilgai too. Save the exotics!!!

Last edited by camoclad; 07-25-2022 at 05:12 PM.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #238
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinthebox View Post

Just my .02
I hear ya. But I think with 10K applicants, they won't be loosing the cash anytime in the near future. Both Chap & Powderhorn are on the same day & my son has his finals that week. Think I will put in for Powderhorn to get the points. at 17 now.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 12:27 AM   #239
RichExotics10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

Do they not do the public hunt book anymore? I always enjoyed getting that!

RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #240
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Made my donation Sunday night, $191. Still got a few I'm thinking about.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 07-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #241
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post

Ever since tpwd went online, they discontinued the book.
Only book they still send out is the APH map booklet.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #242
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Applied to my usual. Applied to quite a few solo this year. My dad didn’t go on the one we were drawn for last year. He’s gotten really bad knees and can’t hike much anymore
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #243
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

All in. Love seeing all those double digit points... that still wont help me draw lol. But it's still fun to dream. 10 points in management seems to be my best bet at a hunt.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #244
3rdCoastHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Public View Post
If you donít, Iím going to through a **** fit for you!

Now kith
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 02:44 PM   #245
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post

Same here, kinda got me in the pre-hunt mode. Would rather have a book in hand than anything online.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #246
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post

Probably not, Fairfield has run youth hunts during the week before.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #247
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFlinger View Post
I'm new to all this draw jazz, I get all the points and hoo-blah. Is the Granger PHL draw actually just a PHL zone that you get drawn to have access for the season? Judging by it being archery only with a nearly 60% success it must be pretty populated?
They count pigs in the success rate
Old 07-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #248
StickFlinger
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF/Hemphill

Quote:
I see, that's might misleading lol
StickFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 07:30 PM   #249
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Quote:

I think they count success in general as successful in harvesting any game. We went on a hunt and showed 72% success but only 3 of the 20osh people shot Deer

bmac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-29-2022, 11:32 PM   #250
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Hog counts are happening and yes, it is misleading. You can find an excel spreadsheet for the draw hunts that shows you 'everything' from what was harvested to hunters that showed and stand-bys that were taken.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top