Tips for incoming does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for incoming does

We are getting 15 bred does next week. I am trying to do everything I can to help them survive. Any tips would be appreciated. I have 2 water sources, 3 protein feeders with the same feed as they are now fed. Have shelter and wind breaks. I am planning to put out some alfalfa bails for additional feed. What else can I do??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have everything set. You may loose a couple due to transport stress (depends how long/how hot the trip is). If they are penned raised, coyotes might find them pretty easy targets.

Make sure they have ear tags, so no one accidentally shoots one of your breeder does next season…

Hope they do great for you.

Comment

You are doing all you need to do. Keep feeders filled and water available. Plan on the potential to lose a couple in the first year.

Ask that they worm them when they are worked.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
        I think you have everything set. You may loose a couple due to transport stress (depends how long/how hot the trip is). If they are penned raised, coyotes might find them pretty easy targets.

Make sure they have ear tags, so no one accidentally shoots one of your breeder does next season…

Hope they do great for you.

Yea they are going in a soft release pen and I put predator wire around the outside to help as a buffer. We have been pounding coyotes and will continue to do so.

Comment

They will be fine, might loose a couple but that's expected. I would for sure let them fawn out in the pen and then keep them in there for as long as you can.That way when you open it up the fawns will have a couple months of age on them!!!!! It will help with predators getting them.

pm sent also

Comment

Are they TTT or pen does. TTT just pray. Pen bred we had luck putting feed and water along the fence lines. Pen deer are used to fences and we have seen them tend to walk them the first few days.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
              Yea they are going in a soft release pen and I put predator wire around the outside to help as a buffer. We have been pounding coyotes and will continue to do so.

I didn ’t see this before i posted. Good idea and prob best bet at keeping the highest % alive.

Comment

Jeffj Ttt is out this year, hopefully they get it back. Great program.

Gtsticker Good luck feed water and predators at bay. Sounds like you have it ready.

Comment

Tips for incoming does

The girls are settling in. They are fairly calm and some are watering. These are under the shade roof. See pretty calm already.

Comment

Good luck with them

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                      They will be fine, might loose a couple but that's expected. I would for sure let them fawn out in the pen and then keep them in there for as long as you can.That way when you open it up the fawns will have a couple months of age on them!!!!! It will help with predators getting them.

pm sent also
                      Nn
                      Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                      You are doing all you need to do. Keep feeders filled and water available. Plan on the potential to lose a couple in the first year.

Ask that they worm them when they are worked.
                      M. H

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
                        NnM. H

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                        Lol just realized I posted in here. Pocket post

Comment

What kind of protein ?

Comment

L&E 17x2 is what the breeders were feeding, so I am continuing with it for now. I have to go out of my way
                            To haul it so I don’t know how
                            Long I will stick with it.

Comment

Watch out if you got neighbors with dogs, they will bark and chase them around the pen and the deer will run into the fence and break their necks. .22 mag works wonders

Are your Does pure South Texas genetics or Northern deer?
                              Last edited by RMW; 05-18-2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X